Baylor needs to hire some good lawyers (Update: Briles Fired, AD and Starr Resigns)

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Be careful who you hire, and where the heck were Baylor's lawyers as they were drafting that contract?
"Uh, hey, bud, might want to check that contract for some sort of 'with cause' clause."
There are those who think Baylor, Briles and Starr are all involved in a cover up. It stands to reason Baylor would pay them millions to go away and keep quiet about details. Of course don't have a clue, just passing on a conspiracy theory, which makes some sense.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
There are those who think Baylor, Briles and Starr are all involved in a cover up. It stands to reason Baylor would pay them millions to go away and keep quiet about details. Of course don't have a clue, just passing on a conspiracy theory, which makes some sense.
Ordinarily, I make fun of conspiracy theories. But here, it’s the only thing that makes sense.

That, or you believe the lack of a clause allowing for no payout in case of termination for cause. And nobody at that level is that stupid.

So they either willfully ignored the lack of an out for cause (which would be a huge indicator of their slimeball thought processes when they hired Briles), or they’re covering up something worse than has already become public.

Ponder on that last one for a minute or two.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Heard about this one, while out and about, yesterday....................

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ex-baylor-ad-ian-mccaw-takes-aim-at-board-of-regents-in-scathing-deposition/

Ouch!

The Waco Tribune reports that McCaw, now the AD at Liberty, gave a sworn testimony in June to attorneys representing 10 alleged victims from Baylor's sexual assault scandal. In his deposition, McCaw spoke harshly of the schools regents, accusing them of racism and an "Enron cover-up scheme."

The eye-popping statement from McCaw is that Baylor had "an elaborate plan that essentially scapegoated black football players and the football program for being responsible for what was a decades-long, university-wide sexual assault scandal."

McCaw said he was "disgusted" by the racism, as well as the Board of Regents' Findings of Fact following the release of the Pepper Hamilton findings. In particular, he claims regent J. Cary Gray was tasked with writing it in such a way that it was "skewed to make the football program look bad and cover up the campus-wide failings."

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Someone explain this to me. Black players were scapegoats? The white players were the rapists but the black players were blamed? That sounds stupid to me, but I guess it could be. It just sounds strange, or maybe I just don't understand.

OK.............here is the spin, as I heard it..................

The ex-AD is claiming the problem is university-wide, and has been going on for decades. Baylor has a very small endowment, and if they take a hit, in enrollment, it will hit them hard.

So................easier to blame the football program. Fire the coach, the AD, and point to a handful of players who are the ones, and the only ones, who are the evil-doers.

Take that for what it is worth. There is a reason it is called spin. (Just ask Ol' Spit!)

BTW...........Did you see the part this guy now works at Liberty Univ.? (Very interesting..........................but schtupid.................)

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The ex-AD is claiming the problem is university-wide, and has been going on for decades. Baylor has a very small endowment, and if they take a hit, in enrollment, it will hit them hard.

So................easier to blame the football program. Fire the coach, the AD, and point to a handful of players who are the ones, and the only ones, who are the evil-doers.

Take that for what it is worth. There is a reason it is called spin. (Just ask Ol' Spit!)

BTW...........Did you see the part this guy now works at Liberty Univ.? (Very interesting..........................but schtupid.................)

All of that sounds reasonable, but it doesn't play the race card. The article suggests the playing of the race card.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Thanks, that makes sense I guess. The Admin looked the other way. Somehow this doesn't sound like scapegoating to me. I mean, blaming rapists for rape?

The truth, IMO, is the admin aided and abetted criminal behavior and should be doing time instead of running around hollering scapegoat and pointing fingers.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Uh-oh, major charges, including LoIC: Baylor receives notice of allegations from NCAA for lack of institutional control

What's not clear is what particular NCAA bylaws were allegedly violated. Nineteen former football players were accused of sexual or domestic assault by 17 women from 2011-16. Lawsuits filed alleged higher numbers. Those cases were considered legal in nature and huge moral and ethical issue for Baylor, a flagship school of the Baptist faith.

Sources indicated that, specifically, players may have been allowed to play and/or practice in violation of NCAA rules while receiving extra benefits. What those extra benefits might have been aren't exactly clear. If those players were allowed on the field after being accused, they would have had to go through the school's regular disciplinary process. Whether that process would have required Briles to remove them from play while their cases were being adjudicated is not certain.

The notice doesn't appear to be similar to the Penn State case. In that situation, the NCAA Board of Directors said there was a violation of the NCAA's constitution in penalizing Penn State in the Jerry Sandusky scandal. That workaround did not require a formal investigation and enforcement process.
This is great news, though I doubt much will happen...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.