Great Lakes nearly devoid of ice - due to El Nino

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I don't see this as a problem. I was raised in that area (not my fault, honest!) and had to contend with ice on the lakes every winter. Since then there have been many marinas built which are occupied with boats of all nature and size. The annual formation of ice on the GL is a hindrance to everyone from shipping to sportsmen. In fact the lack of ice benefits everyone. Thank you, El Nino.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't see this as a problem. I was raised in that area (not my fault, honest!) and had to contend with ice on the lakes every winter. Since then there have been many marinas built which are occupied with boats of all nature and size. The annual formation of ice on the GL is a hindrance to everyone from shipping to sportsmen. In fact the lack of ice benefits everyone. Thank you, El Nino.
Main drawback is the winter-long "lake effect" snows, which used to cease when the surface froze over...

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Main drawback is the winter-long "lake effect" snows, which used to cease when the surface froze over...
It still has to be cold to get lake effect snow. We have gotten very little snow this year and its 50 degrees right right now. Last year the entire month of february didnt see a temp above zero. Im loving it right now.. and saving a ton of money in snow removal and heating bills.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Im loving it right now.. and saving a ton of money in snow removal and heating bills.
This. I don't understand folks in bama wanting it COLD? My deer hunting buddies all say "we need it cold, to move the deer". Deer gonna move to eat...not just because it's cold. Shoot, i'll take 60deg highs every day during winter.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
This. I don't understand folks in bama wanting it COLD? My deer hunting buddies all say "we need it cold, to move the deer". Deer gonna move to eat...not just because it's cold. Shoot, i'll take 60deg highs every day during winter.
This. Why do you think I moved from Illinois to Alabama?
I'll take southern winters over northern winters every day, every year!

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Don't get me wrong. I have a cuz in Lakeland, FL that complains that the leaves never turn. Not sure I could handle that either...but I HATE it when the highs don't get over 50deg. :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Don't get me wrong. I have a cuz in Lakeland, FL that complains that the leaves never turn. Not sure I could handle that either...but I HATE it when the highs don't get over 50deg. :)
I hate these 40-50 degree swings we get at this time of the year, or at least my body does...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think the ice on the lakes is gone because of all the hot air being spouted right now by the candidates, particularly the NY real estate developer.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There are many things which will cause deer to move and feed during the day. The most reliable is an approaching front or bad weather. They can feel it and they'll be out feeding in the middle of the day...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
Just last year, I walked out on Lake Michigan in the winter. Seemed like lots of people were doing it.

That was in the Traverse City area.
I was raised in the northeast section of Illinois, between North Chicago and Winthrop Harbor. The winters were too bitterly cold for me so when I became an adult, I returned to the south, where I was born.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.