Dawn Staley for Women's Basketball Head Coach

TidePhin

All-SEC
Feb 25, 2005
Hoover, AL
Dawn Staley should be the next head coach for The University of Alabama. She brings a well-known name that will create only a buzz for the program. Everyone that saw the Bama-LSU game that we lossed by one point, Rick Moody's last game, could feel the excitement of women's basketball. We need to make Dawn Staley the next head coach to get Bama back into SEC championship contention, as well as NCAA tournament runs.
Dawn Staley for Women's Basketball Head Coach.
For a Fresh Start!!!

ncbama

Suspended
Jun 1, 2003
Albemarle NC
A lot of coincidence

You make a great suggestion. Now, let me tell you why it would be so important to me.

1. Dawn Staley went to the University of Virginia
1.1. I also went to the University of Virginia (Ph.D. in Chemistry 1967)
1.2. The original University of Alabama campus was a replica of the University of Virginia. Even Jefferson's plans were used in the construction. Unfortunately the architecture was changed after the War of the Northern Aggression.
2. Dawn Staley played in Charlotte.
I live in a small town just outside Charlotte
3. Dawn Staley got an MBA at Pfeiffer University
I have been a Trustee of Pfeiffer University for many years. I am now a Trustee Emeritus.
4. Dawn Staley has been mentioned as our next Head BB coach.
I taught at the University for ten years.

So, you see the coincidences, stretched as they may be, are just too many and too strong to ignore. So, It's Dawn Staley for Coach. Let me tell you, she is a class act and would bring great credit to our program.
Mal Moore, get on this right away and consummate the deal.
ncbama

ncbama

Suspended
Jun 1, 2003
Albemarle NC
Bring her on, sounds excellent to me. But can we afford her?
The University of Alabama can afford any personnal it wants. QED!

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
It is not a question of whether the University can find the money to pay a high salary for a women's basketball coach -- it can. The question is whether the University will be willing to take money from other sports to pay a high salary as women's basketball clearly does not generate enough money to pay a high salary. After that, you also have to consider the coaches for other sports. How can you justify paying a women's basketball coach a huge salary when you aren't paying a big salary to the coaches for the other non-revenue sports? These and other questions are the ones that Mal Moore and his staff have to answer.

BamaMiley

Banned
Dec 19, 2004
Difference

The difference with women's basketball and other non-revenue sports such as tennis and golf is that women's basketball has the potential to become revenue producing as we see at Tennessee and LSU and other big named programs. We should hire the best person money can buy for this job. Women's basketball get's alot of tv time and coverage nationally and would benefit the entire university. Keeping Moody for so long has hurt our university tremendously...I don't care how much he "loves" the University of Alabama, he should have stepped down three years ago.

PlayerUA

All-SEC
Apr 1, 2000
Huntsville, Alabama
BamaMiley said:
The difference with women's basketball and other non-revenue sports such as tennis and golf is that women's basketball has the potential to become revenue producing as we see at Tennessee and LSU and other big named programs. We should hire the best person money can buy for this job. Women's basketball get's alot of tv time and coverage nationally and would benefit the entire university. Keeping Moody for so long has hurt our university tremendously...I don't care how much he "loves" the University of Alabama, he should have stepped down three years ago.
Amen and amen.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
I agree there is the potential that women's basketball could be revenue producing. However, even during the run that we made during the early to mid 90s when we went to the Final Four, attendance never got above a few thousand except when we played Tennessee and thay brought a bunch of fans. For women's basketball to be considered a revenue producer, it will have to draw considerably more than that and it will have to make a run deep into the tournament each year. As much as I would love to see Coleman filed up for women's basketball every night, I don't think it will happen. It took Sara Patterson 15+ years and a national championship before gymnastics began to draw 10,000 on a regular basis.

That being said, I would love to see a Dawn Staley or Vivian Stringer type coach at the Capstone. What I am saying is not to count on it because of the salary that they would command. I do not see our athletic department paying that kind of money for women's basketball. With the exception of football (some times) and the hiring of Mark Gottfried, look at the University's history of hiring coaches. The closest that it has come to hiring a coach with name recognition was the hiring of Harvey Glance to coach track. Even with football, two of the last four hires were coaches with no head coaching experience and who were, outside of the Alabama family, largely unknown.

I hope that Mal Moore and his staff realize that women's basketball can be successful here and will make a commitment to it. I will support whomever is hired, whether it is Pat Summit or a third grade gym teacher. The ladies on the team deserve our support.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Not that I am aware of. I hope that the delay means that we have a shot at one of the coaches in the Final Four or who just finished. If that is the case, my money would be on Kim Mulkey-Robertson at Baylor. It is not likely that we would be willing to pay her price, but who knows?

Stephen323

All-American
May 29, 2003
Duluth, GA
Mulkey-Robertson signed a new deal with Baylor. Here is an article from the Philadelphia Daily News about Staley:

"When asked what Temple would have to do to keep her, she responded, "Not much, you know me."

Still, if Alabama or some other school is willing to make a huge commitment to Staley in salary, facilities, recruiting budget and administrative support, Temple can't just sit on its hands.

Alabama is said to be talking about a multiyear deal in the range of $200,000 to $300,000 per season for Staley, and while Temple might not have to match dollar-for-dollar, it can't insult Staley with a low-ball offer that isn't in the ballpark."

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/11263732.htm

Registration is required, so you need an email and password. Thanks to bugmenot, I used mary118@aol.com and philly1.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.