GA News: OnlineAthens - Leonard Floyd says his pro day went 'pretty well' despite 'messed up'

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
March 16th, 2016 01:40 PM

Leonard Floyd boosted his NFL draft stock in the eyes of many by testing well at Indianapolis at the scouting combine.
It’s hard to say that the outside linebacker from Georgia helped himself at Georgia’s Pro Day on Wednesday.
Floyd, projected as a first-round draft pick for the April 28-30 NFL draft, had to cut short his day because of what he said was a stomach issue. He did not take part in on-field position drills but did do agility drills including the 20-yard shuttle.
He was seen talking with Georgia director of sports medicine Ron Courson later.
“It wasn’t an injury,” Floyd said. “It was more I had eaten something for breakfast and it had messed up my stomach and I couldn’t keep going.”
It didn’t keep Floyd from having a positive outlook on his showing.
“It went pretty well, a pretty good day,” he said. “Runnning on the turf I always practice on so it’s pretty good. …I hope I improved my status.”
Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff clearly wanted a chance to see Floyd do the position drills.
“Unfortunately one in particular didn’t get a chance to work out fully here,” Dimitroff said. “That was unfortunate but we know that he’s very, very talented.”
Floyd stood on his strong Indy results: a 4.60 40 and 10-7 broad jump. He did a 39 ½ inch vertical but registered 35 inches on Wednesday.
That’s with the 6-foot-5 5/8 Floyd weighing in he said at 248 pounds, four more than Indianapolis.
He did not do on-field drills at the combine because he said he reaggravated a hamstring injury after running the 40.
“Obviously, he’s a top-notched athlete who has ability to get up and around the corner and he’s a very versatile athlete,” Dimitroff said. “He’s multifaceted with his approach to this game and that’s always a positive.”
Floyd spoke with Falcons head coach Dan Quinn. Atlanta has the No. 17 overall pick.
“It was a pretty good conversation,” he said. “We talked about a lot of good things.”
He said he couldn’t divulge that conversation.
Floyd said he will hold private workouts “with any team that wants one.”
He’s joining Georgia teammates Jordan Jenkins and Jake Ganus in a workout with the Raiders on Monday, his first.
He said he has a dinner meeting with the Colts late next week.
Asked why he thinks he’s worthy of being a first-round pick or even going in the top half of the round, Floyd said: “I mean why wouldn’t I be worthy? I play for Georgia. I made plays for Georgia. I mean why wouldn’t I be?”
Rob Rang, NFL draft analyst for CBSSports.com, said prior to Pro Day that he sees Floyd as a first-round pick but had some reservations about his all-around game.
“I do have some concerns about if you’re going to put him in a 4-3 system, does he have the bulk to be able to remain as a defensive end and just a pass rusher,” Rang said. “Is he fluid enough to be able to drop back into coverage and play a strongside linebacker role. In my opinion as long as you let Leonard Floyd attack the quarterback then you’re going to be happy with the result.”
Floyd listed how he can make an immediate impact: “I can bring that edge. I can bring speed. I can bring passion for the games. I can bring a lot of things.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.