Tesla unveils its Model 3 sedan in bid for mass appeal

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
How are these things charged? Does it require a specially-made heavy duty electric charger, or do you just plug it into your regular electrical outlet?

I will be more interested in looking at one of these once the mileage and speed of the cars is comparable to a regular car - 400-500 miles on one charge, can go up to 80-90 MPH. But it's certainly a good start thus far to get more buyers with the price at $35,000.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I will be more interested in looking at one of these once [it] can go up to 80-90 MPH.
You think a Tesla's top speed is under 80 MPH? This competes with the BMW 3 series, and even the cheapest model will supposedly go 0-60 in less than 6 seconds.

As for charging, you can use Tesla's own stations or a regular electrical outlet, although the latter will obviously charge more slowly.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I am waiting on more details of the extended range version. I need 360 Miles to travel between my two houses, if the cost stays under 45K and makes my range I am ordering. Announcing a SuperCharger in Dothan might push me over the edge too as a 30 Min 80% full charge stop in Dothan wouldn't be too bad for the drive

I look forward to only ever buying gas for the garage queen and using the Telsa for daily driving

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I sure would like to know how long the recharge takes from a standard outlet and how much electricity in $'s the recharge takes. Also would be nice to know the battery life expectancy and replacement costs. Regardless of those, this still looks like a big step forward.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
How was this possible though? We all know that the only way to get away from oil and greedy private corporations is with government help.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I sure would like to know how long the recharge takes from a standard outlet and how much electricity in $'s the recharge takes. Also would be nice to know the battery life expectancy and replacement costs. Regardless of those, this still looks like a big step forward.
Be slow from a standard outlet. About 4 miles of use per hour of charge at room temperature. Your best bet would be to have an electrician run a NEMA 14-50. Looks like a two phase clothes dryer outlet. About 23 miles of use per hour of charge. If you're using a standard plug, it will charge at 3kWh. 10kWh if you have the receptacle I mentioned above. I don't know what the batteries are rated at off hand, but how much it costs to charge will be dependent on that and the cost of electricity in kWhs in your area. It's on your electric bill.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If I ever buy an electric car I'll install some solar panels and a battery as well - charge the battery all day, charge the car overnight.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Be slow from a standard outlet. About 4 miles of use per hour of charge at room temperature. Your best bet would be to have an electrician run a NEMA 14-50. Looks like a two phase clothes dryer outlet. About 23 miles of use per hour of charge. If you're using a standard plug, it will charge at 3kWh. 10kWh if you have the receptacle I mentioned above. I don't know what the batteries are rated at off hand, but how much it costs to charge will be dependent on that and the cost of electricity in kWhs in your area. It's on your electric bill.
I don't think it was the Tesla, but I read an article somewhere last year about one of the all-electric cars. Based on the national average electrical rate and national average gasoline price (at the time), the cost was equivalent to getting about 100 MPG in a gasoline vehicle.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I don't think it was the Tesla, but I read an article somewhere last year about one of the all-electric cars. Based on the national average electrical rate and national average gasoline price (at the time), the cost was equivalent to getting about 100 MPG in a gasoline vehicle.
There is a charge calculator on this page:

https://www.teslamotors.com/models-charging#/calculator

I'm excited about the possibilities. I will probably wait until there are a few more charge stations available, and I can probably get a used one. At this price point it is very close to being an option. But like I said in another thread on this, if it has an insane mode button, I am toast.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
if you live near a Tesla SuperCharger it is free to charge a Model S at one https://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger for life. Not sure if the 3 will be the same

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
if you live near a Tesla SuperCharger it is free to charge a Model S at one https://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger for life. Not sure if the 3 will be the same
Per the web site it will be, but they have a good piece to go before there are enough to make that a daily driver reality. There are enough to travel between major metropolitan areas now. A supercharge takes about 30 minutes. At one point they were going to have an option of a change out that took less time than actually filling up your vehicle with gas, but I don't think that has happened. There are also 'destination charging' stations at some locations like hotels using the standard chargers for overnights. Tesla will give you two systems free if your location qualifies and you join their network.

2 to 3 years and I may be in the market. They are not going to start deliveries of 3's until next year, but already have over 100,000 orders.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.