Daughter going in for open heart surgery

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
Well guys and gals my 17 year old daughter is going to have open heart surgery on Wed at the Children's hospital in Bham. Needless to say its tough to think about it. She has multiple holes in the inner wall of her heart. One large one 30 mm wide and 3-4 smaller ones that cover about the same area. I think I'm more worried than she is. prayers are welcome.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
You have the prayers. Can't imagine your anxiety level, but hang in, they do miraculous work there.

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
Thank you. ..I've talked to another parent who's child went through the same thing and she had encouraging words about the whole process.

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
Just wanted to update....the doctors at Children's, the whole staff really, were terrific and she went through the surgery fine. We are back home recovering....her from the surgery, me from the food and couch :( . While there the doctor's discovered a tumor on one of her adrenal glands above a kidney. She had been having some episodes where her blood pressure spiked and she would almost lose consciousness. She was rushed to SEMC here in Dothan and they blew it off. I assumed it had to do with her heart condition. Doctors in Bham said no and investigated. Turns out it's a rare disorder that if left untreated she wouldn't have made it out of her 20s. Needless to say I am frustrated with the doctors here in Dothan. Never think open heart surgery is a good thing but if she hadn't had it done we'd have never found out about the tumor. So now we are returning every week to Bham for follow ups and in 3 weeks she has another surgery.

Just wanted to say that if you ever have symptoms and arent treated to your satisfaction get a second opinion. It could save your life. I've also decided that I'm going to talk to the administration at SEMC to make sure this misdiagnosis/mistake doesn't happen to someone else.

As a side note she had to do a nuclear medical test which uses small amounts of radiation to help scan inner organs to help give the doctors a better idea of what they were facing. And the cost of her medicine that she has to take before her surgery. ....39000 a bottle. I personally can't believe any medicine could cost that much.

Anyway thanks for the prayers!

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear all went well and you are both on the way to recovering.
One problem led to the discovery of the other. God works in mysterious ways.
Hope you have good insurance, $39,000. Wow!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.