Making some lifestyle changes my Tide brethren.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm going transgender.

j/k LOL! :biggrin2:

In all seriousness, I made a decision a few months ago that my life has gotten too hectic and it is time for a change. Over the last few years I've put too much on my plate, committed to too many things and have overloaded myself to the point of exhaustion. Every time I turn around I am having to go help this person do this, go do a trade show, help do this fundraiser for these folks, go help so and so at the church because they couldn't find someone to help them etc. All of that on top of my regular responsibilities of taking care of my family and trying to find time to spend with them. A few months ago I hit my breaking point. An emotional breaking point so to speak. I have no idea what triggered it. Maybe just mental and physical exhaustion. But I was sitting in my recliner on a week night after not getting home until after 8:00 pm. The kids were getting ready for bed and I was just watching them walk through the living room when this thought ran through my head. "I'm 40 years old and I haven't spent anywhere near the time with my kids as I should and as I've wanted over the last few years. My family has been getting the 'left overs' of me and my time." I can't convey the feeling that I was feeling behind that thought but it hit me like a ton of bricks. I told my wife when I had my "enlightenment" that after these commitments that I'd already committed to were fulfilled. I was "done". No more. That I was no longer going to give them the "left overs". I did my last "help" project this past weekend for a long, long time. It feels like I've had the weight of the world lifted off my shoulders now that I have zero commitments other than my family from here on out. We've already planned a Saturday picnic this weekend at our local park and a movie that night. The smiles on my kids' faces when I told them what we're doing this weekend was worth more than a blank check from Warren Buffet. Life goes by very fast and there's no reset button once it's gone.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Good for you - you have your whole life to help folks out, but you only have your kids for a little while. Took my oldest to Hawk Pride this weekend - rode the trails, used the 'primitive camping' grounds, had an awesome time. That's what it's all about, because in just a couple of years, they're all grown and gone...

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Good for you, Buzz.....at 40 you caught this before it went too far.

Sometimes you have to hit the reset button.

Much respect and best wishes to you and yours going forward!

;)

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Good for you. I only have one child at home, a 16 year old daughter. I often wish I had done more when she was growing up, but when I think back we did the simple things consistently like our date every Saturday morning at Dunkin Donuts. We went to Disney World and Universal Studios - as Florida residents we had annual passes and she loved it. For the last couple of years now she hasn't wanted to do much with Mrs. VJ and myself - together as a family. It just seems like it doesn't mean that much to her. I think it's that age.

Plus she went through some tough times at school in the last place we lived. That changed her.

Every now and then she will come and give me a hug for no reason. Not very often but it's getting better.

You are doing the right thing, sir.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Good for you, Buzz. This is something my wife and I have long ago decided with our son, and his brother/sister that's due later this year. Due to our financial situation, we both have to work. Hopefully that won't always be the case but as it is now we get him at night and on the weekends and we make the most of every moment. Things aren't as organized as they probably should be, and things don't always get done quickly around the house. But as you said, you only get one shot at this thing. Neither of us are very young, both in our 30s. I've watched the last 10 years or my life speed by like Cyrus Jones returning a punt for TD. I recently watched an uncle, the youngest uncle on my dad's side, pass away with cancer. I'm not wasting a second, if I can help it.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I made a decision a few months ago that my life has gotten too hectic and it is time for a change. Over the last few years I've put too much on my plate, committed to too many things and have overloaded myself to the point of exhaustion. A few months ago I hit my breaking point. An emotional breaking point so to speak. I have no idea what triggered it. Maybe just mental and physical exhaustion...
....But I was sitting in my recliner on a week night after not getting home until after 8:00 pm. The kids were getting ready for bed and I was just watching them walk through the living room when this thought ran through my head. "I'm 40 years old and I haven't spent anywhere near the time with my kids as I should and as I've wanted over the last few years. My family has been getting the 'left overs' of me and my time." I can't convey the feeling that I was feeling behind that thought but it hit me like a ton of bricks. I told my wife when I had my "enlightenment" that after these commitments that I'd already committed to were fulfilled. I was "done". No more. That I was no longer going to give them the "left overs". I did my last "help" project this past weekend for a long, long time. It feels like I've had the weight of the world lifted off my shoulders now that I have zero commitments other than my family from here on out. We've already planned a Saturday picnic this weekend at our local park and a movie that night. The smiles on my kids' faces when I told them what we're doing this weekend was worth more than a blank check from Warren Buffet. Life goes by very fast and there's no reset button once it's gone.
Good for you, Buz. The above is the exact same reason I decided to retire. Besides my body realizing it's age and shrinking capabilities, I had also come to the conclusion that it was time to put my family first, and everything else would have to wait.

I'm sure it will take a few months for you to become accustomed to your new lifestyle but you'll be much happier in the end.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I hope now you can spend more time posting here. :)

Really, great call. Hope it pays huge dividends for your and yours. And really, I always read your post.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm going transgender.

j/k LOL! :biggrin2:

In all seriousness, I made a decision a few months ago that my life has gotten too hectic and it is time for a change. Over the last few years I've put too much on my plate, committed to too many things and have overloaded myself to the point of exhaustion. Every time I turn around I am having to go help this person do this, go do a trade show, help do this fundraiser for these folks, go help so and so at the church because they couldn't find someone to help them etc. All of that on top of my regular responsibilities of taking care of my family and trying to find time to spend with them. A few months ago I hit my breaking point. An emotional breaking point so to speak. I have no idea what triggered it. Maybe just mental and physical exhaustion. But I was sitting in my recliner on a week night after not getting home until after 8:00 pm. The kids were getting ready for bed and I was just watching them walk through the living room when this thought ran through my head. "I'm 40 years old and I haven't spent anywhere near the time with my kids as I should and as I've wanted over the last few years. My family has been getting the 'left overs' of me and my time." I can't convey the feeling that I was feeling behind that thought but it hit me like a ton of bricks. I told my wife when I had my "enlightenment" that after these commitments that I'd already committed to were fulfilled. I was "done". No more. That I was no longer going to give them the "left overs". I did my last "help" project this past weekend for a long, long time. It feels like I've had the weight of the world lifted off my shoulders now that I have zero commitments other than my family from here on out. We've already planned a Saturday picnic this weekend at our local park and a movie that night. The smiles on my kids' faces when I told them what we're doing this weekend was worth more than a blank check from Warren Buffet. Life goes by very fast and there's no reset button once it's gone.
Are you sure you don't want to come over to the Houston area and do several mud-outs with Samaritan's Purse? Maybe even in West Monroe, Louisiana and Orange County, Texas. Some people are really hurting in these and other areas.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Congratulations to you and your family. So many wait too long to realize what you have.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Thanks for the offer but someone else is going to have to step up. I'm spent.
If your youngsters are old enough to meet Samaritan's Purse requirements, it's a good way to bond with them as well as be with them while they are learning skills that will last a lifetime. I think there are certain requirements for 14/15 year olds as well as 16/17 year olds, one being parent must be there.

At the end of the day everyone is so tired that you really get a good night's sleep.

Maybe you need a good vacation with them this summer.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Update:

-Have lost 52 lbs (and counting)

-My oldest son is starting Little League Baseball. Been spending A LOT of time with him and my middle son practicing for the upcoming season

-Reading books to my baby in the recliner and rocking him to sleep every night.

-Going to my daughter's violin lessons and sitting in listening to her play

-Spending more time with my wife. It has produced some great benefits!!! (Easy boys, I've had the surgery. I'm playing with house money now!!!) :biggrin:

Plan on losing another 20 lbs and continuing doing what I'm doing.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Update:

-My oldest son is starting Little League Baseball. Been spending A LOT of time with him and my middle son practicing for the upcoming season

-Spending more time with my wife. It has produced some great benefits!!! (Easy boys, I've had the surgery. I'm playing with house money now!!!) :biggrin:

I convinced my wife that having sex 2-3 times a day would help with weight loss...just sayin'.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Update:

Good for you BB -- where does the BBQ and Crawfish fit into the diet?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Good for you BB -- where does the BBQ and Crawfish fit into the diet?
I still feast on BBQ and Crawfish. I've cleaned up my eating during the week along with every meal being about moderation. Mix in cardio and light weight training four times per week. I've been pretty consistent with it for almost a year now. It's allowed me to still partake of the foods I enjoy. I just don't eat each meal like it's my last.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I still feast on BBQ and Crawfish. I've cleaned up my eating during the week along with every meal being about moderation. Mix in cardio and light weight training four times per week. I've been pretty consistent with it for almost a year now. It's allowed me to still partake of the foods I enjoy. I just don't eat each meal like it's my last.
Crawfish and BBQ...high protein. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.