N Carolina gets update from NCAA

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
From everything I've read, this is a myth. No books were sold. They loaned the extra books to friends. I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall it being discussed that no books were sold.
This is true, no books were sold. Up to five football players got
some extra books for friends (girlfriends). Those players were suspended for the season and the amount for the books repaid. Of the 100+ total athletes involved, almost all got minor supplies ( paper, pens, notebooks, and other study materials) not realizing the program was flawed and a NCAA violation.
Bama had 21 football wins vacated and many other wins in other sports. Ohio State had 12 wins vacated for athletes selling athletic gear for personal gain.
My opinion....both Bama's and Ohio State's wins should be restored.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Bama had 21 football wins vacated and many other wins in other sports. Ohio State had 12 wins vacated for athletes selling athletic gear for personal gain.
My opinion....both Bama's and Ohio States wins should be restored.
Forfeiting games is an Orwellian penalty anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think the transgressions of the Alabama players vs. those of tOSU are comparable. There may have been been a few more dollars involved in Columbus, but to debate whose players did worse is really splitting hairs.

The real issue for tOSU was, as is so often the case, not the act itself, but the reaction to getting busted. Kind of similar to Clinton's email problem: indignant, adamant denials, followed by new documented facts, followed by admissions in combination with denials of anything more, only to have yet more facts surface, and on and on until there was no credibility left.

And yeah, there are undeniable parallels to the way Stallings and Ingram handled Antonio Langham's cocktail napkin contract. What should have been a few games' suspension for one player tipped over the first domino in a string that played out for 10+ years.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think the transgressions of the Alabama players vs. those of tOSU are comparable. There may have been been a few more dollars involved in Columbus, but to debate whose players did worse is really splitting hairs.

The real issue for tOSU was, as is so often the case, not the act itself, but the reaction to getting busted. Kind of similar to Clinton's email problem: indignant, adamant denials, followed by new documented facts, followed by admissions in combination with denials of anything more, only to have yet more facts surface, and on and on until there was no credibility left.

And yeah, there are undeniable parallels to the way Stallings and Ingram handled Antonio Langham's cocktail napkin contract. What should have been a few games' suspension for one player tipped over the first domino in a string that played out for 10+ years.
I agree - Tressel turned a minor incident into a disaster simply because he was unwilling to accept punishment and move on. He simply didn't believe that he would get caught. I am still ....ed about it.

But tell me - how was he hired as the President of a university (Youngstown) after demonstrating his poor integrity to the world? I wouldn't trust him to watch my dog.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I agree - Tressel turned a minor incident into a disaster simply because he was unwilling to accept punishment and move on. He simply didn't believe that he would get caught. I am still ....ed about it.

But tell me - how was he hired as the President of a university (Youngstown) after demonstrating his poor integrity to the world? I wouldn't trust him to watch my dog.
I have no answer for that one.

I seem to remember that, after Tressell left YSU for tOSU, YSU got busted for some recruiting or academic violations that happened while he was there. Yet, several years later, in the aftermath of completely separate crisis of personal integrity, they hire him as not just the football coach, but the President and public face of the whole danged school.

Kind of like the barn firing Pat Dye for paying players, then years later (after paying untold hush money to countless coaches) naming their football field in his honor.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Read that Tressell's show cause is now up
Yep - 5 long years since that punishment was handed down. The question now becomes, will a school be desperate enough to hire a head coach with so little integrity?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yep - 5 long years since that punishment was handed down. The question now becomes, will a school be desperate enough to hire a head coach with so little integrity?
Wow, seems like longer ago than that.

I had to look it up, but he's 64 now - not sure how anymore years of coaching has (if any).

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I seem to remember that, after Tressell left YSU for tOSU, YSU got busted for some recruiting or academic violations that happened while he was there. Yet, several years later, in the aftermath of completely separate crisis of personal integrity, they hire him as not just the football coach, but the President and public face of the whole danger school.
He's a straight-up cheater:
In 1998, Tressel's reputation was blemished when it emerged that Ray Isaac, quarterback on his first national championship team, admitted to accepting massive benefits from Mickey Monus, the founder of Phar-Mor and former chairman of the Youngstown State board of trustees. The NCAA had been tipped off about the violations in 1994, but dropped its inquiry after a cursory internal investigation by Youngstown State. The nature of the violations only came to light when Isaac admitted to tampering with a juror in Monus' first corporate fraud trial. It later emerged that Tressel had never met with Isaac during the initial 1994 investigation. Monus subsequently testified that when Isaac initially came to Youngstown State in 1988, Tressel called Monus and asked him to work out a job for Isaac. Youngstown State subsequently admitted to a lack of institutional control and docked itself scholarships. The NCAA ultimately faulted Tressel and Youngstown State for their cursory 1994 investigation, but did not cite them for wrongdoing. Youngstown State was also allowed to keep its 1991 title since the NCAA's statute of limitations had run out.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
The 2007 ordeal was completely about selling textbooks. And there were more women's track members doing this than football players.
Yeah, and a whole lot more happened than players selling books at Alabama. Want to throw rocks?

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Yep- amazing they would hire him as President with his past. Never seen another school do anything like that. Except Auburn hiring Bruce Pearl.
auburn the only Skool to ever hire a coach with an existing show causewithin existing show calls

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
North Carolina is too much of a cash cow for the NCAA in basketball to pay much of price here. That is what the delay is all about. They should be torched- but they will not be. Lived in Charlotte for 10 years- UNC fans think very highly of themselves and their school in Chapel Hill- they laugh at the allegations.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

But I would let him watch Smokey or Uga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

AP Exclusive: SEC's Sankey refuses to step down in UNC case

Southeastern Conference Commissioner Greg Sankey has denied a request seeking his removal as head of the NCAA infractions panel handling North Carolina's ongoing academic case because of a conflict of interest.

Sankey stated in an April 14 letter obtained by The Associated Press that the panel would "fairly decide this case."

"The panel, including me, will hear and decide this case based on the case record and the membership's bylaws," Sankey wrote to all involved parties.

Elliot Abrams — a Raleigh attorney representing a retired office administrator charged with violations — had written the NCAA saying Sankey had a "personal, professional and institutional interest" in the outcome as SEC commissioner while comparing it to "refereeing a championship game between an (Atlantic Coast Conference) team and an SEC team."
Someone help me understand the issue here. How's this a conflict of interest? He's not the first conference commissioner to be head of an infractions panel, and he sure as heck won't be the last.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

AP Exclusive: SEC's Sankey refuses to step down in UNC case

Someonehelp me understand the issue here. How's this a conflict of interest? He's not the first conference commissioner to be head of an infractions panel, and he sure as heck won't be the last.
This is just a lawyer for a private individual, not the school. He's "just doing his job" trying to make the process appear to lack credibility so his client can attempt to save face. Maybe hoping to delay things. Who knows, but this kind of thing happens every day. Now if UNC itself put it out there, that might be a story.

Honestly, an active commissioner whose own conference has a school (Ole Miss) which is likely going to face an serious infractions decision, if anything he would be biased towards leniency so that when the shoe is on the other foot his conference's school gets leniency, too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.