Alexis Bloomer: "Dear Elders, I'm sorry"

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
wow, I freekin hate that girl

this thing is blowing up all over my linked in and it makes me want to slap the heck out of some people

a part of my job is sales training. I've worked personally with dozens and have trained hundreds of millennials over the last decade or so (not sure if they can all be classified as millennial or not but the point stands) and my experience has been so far from the stereotype as to find this whole discussion laughable. These kids are some of the smartest self most assured people I've eve worked with. Eager to learn, aggressively career focused (but in a good way) and in general a pleasure to work with. I've been and am a mentor to several (which I know terrifies a few of you) and I don't see these behaviors. Sure they live on twitter, facebook, snapchat and are a bit too focused on the online image but who cares.

Millennials get a bad rap and this self hating pandering crap spewed by this girl isn't helping their cause, in fact to me it shows her to be exactly the kind of narcissistic jerk that she claims the bulk of her generation to be

rant over

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

this thing is blowing up all over my linked in and it makes me want to slap the heck out of some people

a part of my job is sales training. I've worked personally with dozens and have trained hundreds of millennials over the last decade or so (not sure if they can all be classified as millennial or not but the point stands) and my experience has been so far from the stereotype as to find this whole discussion laughable. These kids are some of the smartest self most assured people I've eve worked with. Eager to learn, aggressively career focused (but in a good way) and in general a pleasure to work with. I've been and am a mentor to several (which I know terrifies a few of you) and I don't see these behaviors. Sure they live on twitter, facebook, snapchat and are a bit too focused on the online image but who cares.

Millennials get a bad rap and this self hating pandering crap spewed by this girl isn't helping their cause, in fact to me it shows her to be exactly the kind of narcissistic jerk that she claims the bulk of her generation to be

rant over
but it endears her with those who like to talk about how the kids these days are different than all of the kids in previous days

she's now a star

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

rant over
It's hard to change someone's mind when their first hand experiences are different than the claim(s) made. And that goes for both sides of the coin, those who say what you say and those who say the opposite about millenials.

I think every generation has overriding characteristics that differ them from other generations (I don't care what 92tide says LOL! :)). But at the same time it doesn't mean every individual in that generation is like that. I worked with a group of Millennials this past weekend at a fundraiser. If I had to give my opinion on the entire generation based on this group that I worked with Saturday (which I won't). I would not have a very high opinion of them.

But unfortunately, people do themselves no favors when they live up to negative stereotypes about their (insert group).

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

rant over
You would probably hate my daughters too (they pretty much split her age). I have heard rants like hers many times, and they are repeatedly frustrated by what they see around them. They constantly rail against those that they see being cast as role models by their peers.

That said. I actually agree with you. I don't think it is nearly as bad as it is made out to be. They have a great deal of redeeming qualities, and as in everything else in the media, we see the worst.

Like I said earlier, I actually have hope.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I've worked with millennials for the past 10-12 years and consider them to be hard workers and service minded, selfless. Yes, there have been some frustrations but overall I've had a good experience with them. I'm in "bridge" group between genx and millennials. So I can identify with them on some level. But if I were much older I could see why it would be frustrating to work with them. Very different worlds colliding.

On social media- I find it amusing the older people (say 55+) talk negatively about Facebook, Twitter, etc. But guess who also regularly checks their profile? The older generations. It used to be let me get my wallet and show you pics of my grandkids. Now it's let me post pictures of my grandkids on your timeline,haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
You would probably hate my daughters too (they pretty much split her age). I have heard rants like hers many times, and they are repeatedly frustrated by what they see around them. They constantly rail against those that they see being cast as role models by their peers.

That said. I actually agree with you. I don't think it is nearly as bad as it is made out to be. They have a great deal of redeeming qualities, and as in everything else in the media, we see the worst.

Like I said earlier, I actually have hope.
I seriously doubt I would hate your daughters, you are too good of a person to raise people I'd hate. Disagree with? yeah probably, but hate no way.

you can go back in time and read accounts from any generation and all have stuff they dislike about the next one or two coming behind them. Its funny to read and then like now it's largely overblown

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I agree that there are many of her generation that are the antithesis of those she is describing....and mostly that is due to good parenting...not so much by role models or necessarily any high standards in our society.

IMHO, our society has changed.....and there is not as much emphasis in respect and excellence as there used to be.

But I think she is speaking about the worst of that generation...not the best and not the brightest...and maybe not even the norm. Just the worst of them. At least someone is pointing things out....and at least it is someone of that generation.

Some good could come of this.....

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I seriously doubt I would hate your daughters, you are too good of a person to raise people I'd hate. Disagree with? yeah probably, but hate no way.

you can go back in time and read accounts from any generation and all have stuff they dislike about the next one or two coming behind them. Its funny to read and then like now it's largely overblown
So it is POSSIBLE!!!!!

:wink:

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
The biggest difference is this generation is the way they were raise. They are spoiled and I'm guilty of that to. Not bad kids but as parents we let them get by with stuff and not really teach them things we should have.
I had way more than my parents had and both of my boys benefited when we should of made them work harder for the things that they wanted.
This is not all twenty something year old but alot. There work habits in some have suffered for it.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Kids nowadays have more distractions too.....temptations the likes of which were not available with baby boomers.....

Snapchat speed filter blamed for 107-MPH highway accident

Snapchat has a filter that lets people share how fast they're traveling while they take selfies.
A car accident victim is blaming Snapchat's speed filter for a crash that left him with traumatic brain injuries, according to a new lawsuit.
The plaintiff, Wentworth Maynard, was merging onto a four lane highway outside of Atlanta, Georgia when his car was struck "so violently it shot across the left lane into the left embankment," his lawyers contend.
Christal McGee was allegedly driving the car that struck him. The lawsuit says that she was on her phone trying to use the Snapchat speed filter at the time of the accident.
"McGee wanted to post an image of herself going fast. She argued that she was, 'Just trying to get the car to 100 miles per hour to post it on Snapchat.'" the victim's lawyers say.
A passenger in McGee's car said she had hit 113 mph on the Snapchat filter, they added. When the cars hit, the speed was 107 mph, according to the complaint. The speed limit was 55.
"While [she] was distracted and on her phone, McGee did not notice that a gray Mitsubishi, driven by Maynard Wentworth, had pulled out onto the road," the complaint says.
McGee, who was also injured in the accident, apparently also took a Snapchat while she was in the ambulance, on a gurney, with blood on her face.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I will say one thing about American millennials in general. They see through the smoke and snow faster than any other generation of our time. Whether they agree or disagree with you on a particular point they can tell very quickly when someone is not genuine. They have had a great deal of practice. If you are trying to convince them of something you had better believe what you say, have a reasonable and articulate explanation of why you believe/how you came to that determination, and be able to prove you are not just someone else's sycophant.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but that is something that makes Sanders alluring to them in this election, and Ron Paul was able to tap into on the last one. IMO when they see genuineness the positions don't matter as much as some would like to think.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If it's genuine -- good for her.
If it's just another ploy to get some attention on social media -- shame on her.

The millennials are a product of their environment.....hard to blame them for the world they grew up in.....

The WWII Generation allowed their kids (the Boomers) to value emotion over Patriotism....
The Boomers allowed their kids (The Xers) to value "stuff" over emotion....
The Xers allowed their kids to value emotion over Patriotism......

Perhaps there is hope with the next generation.....

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
On social media- I find it amusing the older people (say 55+) talk negatively about Facebook, Twitter, etc. But guess who also regularly checks their profile? The older generations. It used to be let me get my wallet and show you pics of my grandkids. Now it's let me post pictures of my grandkids on your timeline,haha.
Hmmm................I thought FakeLook was only for finding out if the kids you went to HS with, 50 years ago, are still alive.

And if they are, to give them crap for voting for O'Dumbo.

Talking 'bout my g-g-g-gen-generation. That didn't die before we got old. Useless hippies!

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...........

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
My grandpa said the same about my dads generation. My dad said the same about my generation. I said the same about my sons generation, now I await my son to say the same about my grandsons generation. The world is forever changing and there is a lot more good kids in the new generation coming up than bad but the media has no desire to report much about them. Each new generation has a new set of problems the last generation did not have to deal with too. New opportunities as well. Apples and Oranges. Someone is going to agree and disagree with anything and everything, always have. :)

tidegrandpa

All-American
I will say one thing about American millennials in general. They see through the smoke and snow faster than any other generation of our time. Whether they agree or disagree with you on a particular point they can tell very quickly when someone is not genuine. They have had a great deal of practice. If you are trying to convince them of something you had better believe what you say, have a reasonable and articulate explanation of why you believe/how you came to that determination, and be able to prove you are not just someone else's sycophant.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but that is something that makes Sanders alluring to them in this election, and Ron Paul was able to tap into on the last one. IMO when they see genuineness the positions don't matter as much as some would like to think.
Some of the ones my kids used to bring home would get annoyed with me because they said I insisted on them "factualizing" what they said.
They were annoyed when I asked them to produce facts to back up their statements.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
I honestly think we are witnessing in a lot of youths today, the failure of parents and to a degree, our education system. My wife teaches middle school and I college students, and see strong (anecdotal) correlations. A student raised with a mom and dad, who value and CARE about how their child is performing in school, and the quality of those schools - along with an understanding of how difficult it can be to obtain a dollar seem to be less "entitled" than others. Unfortunately, socio-economic status has truly manifested in educational attainment and an appreciation of dignified social conduct. Couple such things with a lot of kids developing their virtual self instead of their real self is really a fascinating dynamic to see unfold. It isn't all bad, but I see how it definitely isn't all good as well. Bottom line (imo)....it all starts with the home environment, and always has. Say what you will about "old fashioned" family values, but those kids raised in this manner ( a little hard work, manners, respect, and NO participation trophies) tend to exhibit much less of the negative characteristics exhibited by a lot of millinials...and more success once graduating college.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.