Extremely Early 2017 NFL Mock Drafts

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
While we may want or think MH should stay it most certainly doesn't mean he won't be drafted very high. He's proven durable health wise, he's taller and thicker than most CBs but just as fast. It's no different than an NBA team taking a flyer on a HS prospect. They know he can play on Sunday so if it is a need they will sacrifice they year of seasoning on their field.

He's also playing a lot better this year. I think he'll go first round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Well, quite a few said the same about Reed and Robinson last year. Strange moving targets these predictions are. Would be curious to hear analysts break down Marlon's play so far.
It's so difficult to predict because none of us know what each team feels is most important to their organization - they might pass up on a great DT because they need a safety, even if the safety they pick won't have the same impact that they DT might.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, quite a few said the same about Reed and Robinson last year. Strange moving targets these predictions are. Would be curious to hear analysts break down Marlon's play so far.

Last year's draft was funny. Numerous analysts talked about it after the fact. The DT class was so deep teams took guys some didn't expect to go as high but admitted later were graded around the same as those they did expect to go higher.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Last year's draft was funny. Numerous analysts talked about it after the fact. The DT class was so deep teams took guys some didn't expect to go as high but admitted later were graded around the same as those they did expect to go higher.
Yep. Plus, most players who go in the first round either impact the QB (edge rusher, pass rusher, CB etc) or protect the QB (left tackles). You don't see a lot of run stopping LBs or DL taken in the first round like Reed and Robinson. Reed and Robinson are good DTs but they don't rush the passer or really impact the QB. Every Bama player projected in the first round on defense this year does that - Williams, Allen, Anderson, Humphrey, Foster etc. I feel a lot better about getting 5 or so Bama guys in the first round this year. Not sure we'll get 7 though..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I know lot of people think MH won't go in first 2 round because of his performance, but keep that in mind lot of the ball threw at him were perfect throws... Chad Kelly, Allen, and Knight. But Hump is playing lot better and I don't expect him to struggle much going forward. Really, He just need to play well enough to say that they know he has the potential.

I'm thinking we'll see our 8 players gone within 2 rounds. Dieter will probably go in 5th round.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Allen and Willliams are sure 1st rounders. Both made good decisions in coming back. I think Foster will be 1st round, at worst early 2nd. Marlon should come back. He has good height and speed but he needs to be able to play a lot stronger. He'd get killed in the NFL. OJ and Cam will be high picks as well. 1st round is hard to judge past the top 10-15 because teams pick based on needs. I think we will see 5-6 drafted the first 2 rounds.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Reuben Foster may dip into the 2nd round because ILB has been devalued a bit lately.

Cam Robinson will be gone before the 15th pick.

Right now I see Jonathan Allen as a top 5 pick. He's one of the best interior defensive linemen to come out since Suh.

I think Tim Williams will get drafted in the first because rushing the passer is a premium even if the guy isn't necessarily a 3-down player in the NFL. We saw this in the last draft with a few surprising picks of undersized DE/LB types.

Last edited:

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Reuben Foster may dip into the 2nd round because ILB has been devalued a bit lately.

Cam Robinson will be gone before the 15th pick.

Right now I see Jonathan Allen as a top 5 pick. He's one of the best interior defensive linemen to come out since Suh.

I think Tim Williams will get drafted in the first because rushing the passer is a premium even if the guy isn't necessarily a 3-down player in the NFL. We saw this in the last draft with a few surprising picks of undersized DE/LB types.
Agree with everything but this, has it been devalued a little? Sure. But Foster is not Ragland. Much better athlete but I guess we will see, you might be right. But I sure wish the Dolphins would draft him 1st round. They need him

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
McClain went in the first, Hightower went in the second, Mosley went in the first, Ragland went in the second.

Generally speaking, ILB is devalued in the NFL game. Being one of the best 32 players isn't what the first round is about...it is the confluence of the player's quality and team need. Team needs are dictated by the style of game and today's NFL defense is about edge pressure and great DB play...the ILBs are almost plug in play in the minds of many teams.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If Reuben runs what I think he will at the combine he'll be safely in the 1st round..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He's got the look of Luke Kuechly who is rangy but tough against the run. I think he's a better pro prospect than Ragland. I'm not saying he's a done deal second rounder but just don't be surprised if it happens. The team needs may not line up in his favor and there already isn't a huge emphasis on ILB overall in the league.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I really believe that Jonathan Allen is gonna go really early. He could go #1 if the right team in need of a DT is up there. Tim Williams will go in the middle part of the first round because they'll question his ability to hold up against the run but quick twitch pass rushers are a priority PERIOD in the NFL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.