Extremely Early 2017 NFL Mock Drafts

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Might not but 16 teams in the NFL have WR in their top 3 of "must have" for this draft. 4 of those WOULD likely to take a WR with their 1st pick but to me that elite talent isn't 4 deep at wide rec. to justify using a first Rd. Pick. Mike Williams (Clemson), Corey Davis (W. Mich.), and maybe Courtland Sutton (SMU) are it. They are all 6'3" and can jump and fly. Samuel and Ross are 5'11" and totally disappeared when playing good CBs and I think while good, no GM is burning a 1st Rd. paycheck with the amount of incredible defensive talent in this draft. That's why I think round 2-3 will see WRs being gobbled up and I'd throw AS in that crop with no reservations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem is that the combine changes everything. There maybe a few receivers in the FCS or lower group of five conferences that just kill it at the combine and change the whole pecking order. Out of all the WRs I think williams is the only clear cut 1-2 rounder.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is true. I saw one with Tim Williams going #28 to the Cowboys and another with Reuben in the 2nd round. While it is unpredictable it isn't totally insane.

Tim Williams fell from being a sure fire top 15 pick because of "off field" issues. Where did you see a draft with Reuben in the 2nd round? Everyone I've seen has him top 10 or top 15 pick..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You've got to watch out for falling below your value at ILB. We've had 4 first round quality ILBs that were easily among the top 32 players in the draft but only half went in the first round (McClain and Mosley) while the other two (Hightower and Ragland) fell into the 2nd round. I think Foster projects well for the professional game. He could be like Luke Kuechley...a centerpiece that you can build a whole defense around due to his sideline to sideline and vertical range.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You've got to watch out for falling below your value at ILB. We've had 4 first round quality ILBs that were easily among the top 32 players in the draft but only half went in the first round (McClain and Mosley) while the other two (Hightower and Ragland) fell into the 2nd round. I think Foster projects well for the professional game. He could be like Luke Kuechley...a centerpiece that you can build a whole defense around due to his sideline to sideline and vertical range.
Completely agree. Foster is the best LB prospect during the CNS era. He's a lock to be a first round pick..

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Tim Williams fell from being a sure fire top 15 pick because of "off field" issues. Where did you see a draft with Reuben in the 2nd round? Everyone I've seen has him top 10 or top 15 pick..
SB Nation. Honestly, that could have been a contributor's error. He's got him at 17 to the Redskins in his latest revision. I still think that is too low. I've heard the Keuchly comparison as well as Von Miller. Those are NOT names GMs drop casually.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
No no. The SEC is down and is overrated. Remember?

I blame Johnny Manziel --

He caused the current (and hopefully temporary) destruction of the SEC. He caused every team in the SEC (including us -- eventually) -- to search for 2 things -- elite Dual-Threat QBs and elite Dual-Threat pass rushers. Most of the SEC eventually found the pass rushers, few found the QB. The SEC found out quickly -- that there are more pass rushers than there are Dual-Threat QBs. So, all of a sudden -- we find ourselves in the SEC in a position of having several teams who have inconsistent offenses.....with a big group of mediocre QBs who 10 years ago would have transitioned into a WR or a RB or a CB..... and the Pro-Style passers avoid the SEC like the plague.

The SEC is down and (for the most part) was overrated. But, the other 23 non-QB positions have so much insane talent -- across the SEC - that they will totally send more to the NFL.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

He caused the current (and hopefully temporary) destruction of the SEC. He caused every team in the SEC (including us -- eventually) -- to search for 2 things -- elite Dual-Threat QBs and elite Dual-Threat pass rushers. Most of the SEC eventually found the pass rushers, few found the QB. The SEC found out quickly -- that there are more pass rushers than there are Dual-Threat QBs. So, all of a sudden -- we find ourselves in the SEC in a position of having several teams who have inconsistent offenses.....with a big group of mediocre QBs who 10 years ago would have transitioned into a WR or a RB or a CB..... and the Pro-Style passers avoid the SEC like the plague.

The SEC is down and (for the most part) was overrated. But, the other 23 non-QB positions have so much insane talent -- across the SEC - that they will totally send more to the NFL.
Agreed, but the game (and its rules) has become so QB driven that the SEC is going to have to step up their game conference wide at the QB position. The rules are bent such toward the offense that a team can afford to have a middle of the road defense and still compete for championships. The quarterback play in the SEC this season was bad for the most part.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

I don't disagree with this but who are these "pro-style" passers who are avoiding the SEC? The large problem is that high schools have stopped using pocket passers and it's harder than even to find good ones to recruit - it's why the long term quarterback situation in the NFL is a really big problem.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Manziel?

Why not blame Urban Meyer, Tim Tebow and Dan Mullen?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Manziel?

Why not blame Urban Meyer, Tim Tebow and Dan Mullen?
Because when it was just Tebow and $cam -- everyone just assumed they were rare-finds....

But, when Little "Johnny" football -- came on the scene and beat mighty Bama -- more credit to the "dual threat" followed......

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Because when it was just Tebow and $cam -- everyone just assumed they were rare-finds....

But, when Little "Johnny" football -- came on the scene and beat mighty Bama -- more credit to the "dual threat" followed......
Ehh... That's hard to say.

Meyer and Mullen were the first coaches to be successful in the SEC with a spread offense that was able to utilize a mobile QB.

Their success led to other programs looking for that style offense, which led to Gus at Auburn and eventually Sumlin at TAMU (where he lucked into a RS freshman Manziel).

Like Prof said, there aren't many pro-style QBs in high school anymore. Most high schools use the best athlete on the team as QB and make him throw the ball some.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I've seen several recent mock drafts with Marlon and Cam not in the first round. Not surprising on Marlon, a co-worker whose team works with pro athletes said they keep hearing Marlon as a 3rd round pick who could easily drop if his combine #'s aint good. He is out at the senior bowl practices and events this week and Marlon isn't a focus to them b/c 1st round picks is where they get paid.

I really think Marlon is going to regret his choice. Hope I am wrong but, he could've used another year in T-Town.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I've seen several recent mock drafts with Marlon and Cam not in the first round. Not surprising on Marlon, a co-worker whose team works with pro athletes said they keep hearing Marlon as a 3rd round pick who could easily drop if his combine #'s aint good. He is out at the senior bowl practices and events this week and Marlon isn't a focus to them b/c 1st round picks is where they get paid.

I really think Marlon is going to regret his choice. Hope I am wrong but, he could've used another year in T-Town.
Kiper has Cam going #7 overall and Marlon #18 overall to the Titans FWIW. Like you, I've seen several mock drafts without Marlon or Cam in the first round but I've also seen plenty with both going fairly high. Pretty confident that Foster, Allen, Howard and Williams will be 1st rounders. Anderson, Humphrey and Cam are on the bubble IMO.

Also, Marlon should put up monster numbers at the combine. He was a track guy in high school and college..

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Kiper has Cam going #7 overall and Marlon #18 overall to the Titans FWIW. Like you, I've seen several mock drafts without Marlon or Cam in the first round but I've also seen plenty with both going fairly high. Pretty confident that Foster, Allen, Howard and Williams will be 1st rounders. Anderson, Humphrey and Cam are on the bubble IMO.

Also, Marlon should put up monster numbers at the combine. He was a track guy in high school and college..
Saw a NFL Network mock today with Tim in the 3rd round. Was pretty surprised.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Saw a NFL Network mock today with Tim in the 3rd round. Was pretty surprised.

Wow. I know he's being dropped in most mocks because of off the field stuff but I hope he doesn't drop that far. He was sure fire top 15 pick before all of this. I still think the first round is a possibility and I definitely think he'll be gone in the second round..

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
No way Marlon will drop to the 3rd, that's just insane. And like Force said, the combine will only help him

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.