GA News: OnlineAthens - Charlie Woerner will add to 'good mix' at TE for UGA

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
May 20th, 2016 12:11 PM

Tight end already looked like one of the deepest positions for Georgia at the end of spring practices.
Another arrives on campus on June 1.
At 6-foot-5, 240 pounds, Charlie Woerner offers one more pass-catching weapon for the Bulldogs to develop to go along with Jeb Blazevich, Jackson Harris, Jordan Davis and Isaac Nauta.
“I know there’s a lot of good tight ends in front of me,” Woerner said. “It’s going to be hard to compete with them all and I’m excited to compete against them. A lot of us have different styles. I’m bigger and some are faster but I think it’s a good mix of tight ends in that group this next year.”
Woerner was rated as a four-star at wide receiver by the 247Sports composite, which puts him at No. 25 at that position nationally.
He played multiple positions including wide receiver and safety at Rabun County, “but I didn’t really play tight end,” he said.
“We’re going to find out a lot about that kid,” coach Kirby Smart said. “We’re going to find out about his toughness and how committed to blocking he is, because he hasn’t had to do that. But we know he’s a great athlete.”
Woerner showed that by winning a state Class AA discus title May 12 when he threw his personal best of 158 feet, 2 inches. Smart called that “kind of unique for a tight end/receiver to win the discus.”
Woerner was a rather under the radar as a recruit. He didn’t play in those all-star games that were televised nationally, but has name recognition as the nephew of Scott Woerner.
The former Georgia All-American defensive back/punt returner from the 1980 national title team is going into the College Football Hall of Fame in its latest class.
Scott Woerner didn’t play a big role for Charlie as far as football goes.
“The thing we did together was hunt and fish,” Charlie said. “We didn’t really talk about football. He just let me make my own decision.”
As much as Woerner enjoys trout and bass fishing on the Tallulah or Chattooga Rivers, he says he’s probably better in football.
“I think Charlie Woerner’s got tremendous upside,” Rusty Mansell, recruiting analyst for 247Sports, said before signing day. “He’s got tremendous ballskills. He’s 6-5 and can run and every time I watched him at a 7-on-7 camp at Georgia and saw him play, this guy can make plays. If he comes in and learns the offense, you get about midseason and Charlie Woerner’s getting more comfortable, that’s a big-time target for Jacob Eason or whoever’s playing quarterback. He’s going to create mismatches. Everybody knows about Isaac Nauta,…but not a lot of people talk about Charlie Woerner. He is an athlete, he is a football player. I think there are going to be some special things about him. I’m very interested to see if he plays his freshman year.”
Woerner had 57 catches as a senior but will be asked to contribute as well when the ball isn’t coming his way,
“The biggest thing you’ve got to do is block big people,” Smart said. “If you can’t do that at the point of attack in our league, most of the defensive linemen they line up against are bigger than them, so we always say you’ve got to tie at tight end.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.