OK, another computer thread...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, all the computers in the house are on Win 10 except mine. Two went without incident. One was the worst mess I've ever had. It upgraded itself and did fine until it DLed KB.....743, which broke it entirely. I couldn't boot, couldn't reset, couldn't revert to 7, couldn't do anything. Finally, I DLed Win 10 to a DVD, reset the boot sequence and managed to reinstall 10 and lost some apps but no data. On this machine, for reasons I can only speculate on - last floor model, etc. - I cannot get into the boot sequence. Since I can't, I've bought a new, larger HDD and bought a cloner dock. My plan is to clone the Win 7 disk, put the new, cloned disk into the machine and upgrade. If I end up with a mess again, I just put the old HDD back into the computer and revert to Win 7. Criticisms or thoughts?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Well, all the computers in the house are on Win 10 except mine. Two went without incident. One was the worst mess I've ever had. It upgraded itself and did fine until it DLed KB.....743, which broke it entirely. I couldn't boot, couldn't reset, couldn't revert to 7, couldn't do anything. Finally, I DLed Win 10 to a DVD, reset the boot sequence and managed to reinstall 10 and lost some apps but no data. On this machine, for reasons I can only speculate on - last floor model, etc. - I cannot get into the boot sequence. Since I can't, I've bought a new, larger HDD and bought a cloner dock. My plan is to clone the Win 7 disk, put the new, cloned disk into the machine and upgrade. If I end up with a mess again, I just put the old HDD back into the computer and revert to Win 7. Criticisms or thoughts?
That should work. I've done it with my MAC. What do you mean reset the boot sequence? Changing the boot order so it boots from DVD?

Honestly going Win7 to Win10 I'd just do a fresh install so everything is clean. I don't like pulling forward all the bad. I'll rebuild my work PC every year or so.

Maybe try to boot into safe mode. On Win10 when you first see the windows logo, hard power the computer off. After 3 times or so it will go into the recovery menu and let you choose safe mode.

Last edited:

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Can you get to the BIOS and just not the boot sequence, or are you locked out of the BIOS completely?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That should work. I've done it with my MAC. What do you mean reset the boot sequence? Changing the boot order so it boots from DVD?

Honestly going Win7 to Win10 I'd just do a fresh install so everything is clean. I don't like pulling forward all the bad. I'll rebuild my work PC every year or so.

Maybe try to boot into safe mode. On Win10 when you first see the windows logo, hard power the computer off. After 3 times or so it will go into the recovery menu and let you choose safe mode.
Safe Mode was unavailable on the machine which was so messed up...

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I can modify neither the BIOS nor the boot menu...
At this point I would get another computer because I don't know enough to know how to fix it. Computers have come so cheap that I don't worry about it anymore. One thing I have learned is back your stuff up or you could lose it forever. Here a few years ago I had a virus wipe my pictures off of my computer that I didn't have backup but was lucky enough to find a program online that found them on my computer. Never again will I lose stuff because of not backing it up. When you lose stuff on your computer its like having a house fire that burnt everything.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Disclaimer: I am far from an expert.

I would think your solution is the probably safest way to go. However, you may see if there is a BIOS update for your computer on the manufacture's site. It's probably going designed as a USB drive utility so I would disconnect the hard drive. Then as long as USB was in the boot sequence, it would launch after not detecting the hard drive. The standard BIOS from the manufacturer should give you access to the boot order.

I'll double check with some friends of mine that are technicians.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Disclaimer: I am far from an expert.

I would think your solution is the probably safest way to go. However, you may see if there is a BIOS update for your computer on the manufacture's site. It's probably going designed as a USB drive utility so I would disconnect the hard drive. Then as long as USB was in the boot sequence, it would launch after not detecting the hard drive. The standard BIOS from the manufacturer should give you access to the boot order.

I'll double check with some friends of mine that are technicians.
That just might work. The USB is in the boot sequence. I just can't get any change to save, hence the backup quandary. It doesn't do a damned bit of good to back stuff up, if you can't boot to your back up, hence my workaround of cloning the disk. What saved the really screwed up computer was that I could modify the boot sequence to boot from the new Win 10 DVD. BTW, the computer I'm working on is a high-end gaming Lenovo...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, new disk cloned, with an extra TB of headroom. Seems to have gone off flawlessly so far. So, I'm halfway there. Now, I DL Win 10 to this drive...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.