LSU's Mike the Tiger Dies from Cancer

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Rest In Peace Mike. One of my favorite mascots. Prayers for the LSU faithful, they loved him dearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Re: LSU's Mike the Tiger has cancer

Hate to hear that. While I want to stomp a mud hole in their football teams, I have a soft spot for animals in general and all the SEC's live mascots in particular. UGA, Mike, Bully, Reville, even Smokey. Seems like Arkansas has a live razorback, but I can't remember his name.

Hope The time Mike has left is as painless and comfortable as possible.
Well if the AR mascot was on their sideline last Sat. I think I heard them yelling "They're Holding" a lot so I guess that's his name.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
More info (courtesy of my Gator forum)....

Mike VI, LSU's live tiger mascot died Tuesday after a long battle against a rare cancer.

Mike was humanely euthanized in his night house by LSU's Attending Veterinarian David Baker, DVM, Ph.D. He was diagnosed with spindle cell sarcoma in May 2016 and underwent stereotactic radiotherapy on June 1, 2016, at Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer. He entered hospice care in his night house on Oct. 10, 2016, so that his caretakers could observe him to ensure that he did not suffer.

Much more at the link:

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/10/lsus_mike_the_tiger_vi_has_die.html#incart_river_home

=========

As a Louisiana resident, I can tell you this has been a pretty emotional story throughout the state. Mike VI was considered the friendliest tiger that LSU has kept. He was rescued at a young age when his mother rejected him when his name was Roscoe. The family that adopted him (in Indiana) made sure to interact him with as many people as possible as to try to diminish his threat to people. This constant interaction with people made him extremely lovable to those around him. As he grew the family could no longer afford to care for him and thus, LSU offered him a home.

The family was able to visit him on two separate occasions throughout his 9 years in Baton Rouge and on both occasions he immediately recognized his adoptive family and snuggled, cuddled, and licked his companions. He was the first tiger that was given the option before each home game to get in the cage to go to the field...a condition that the family required in order for LSU to adopt him...a condition that LSU honored every single time the team hit the field in Baton Rouge.

The family was devastated upon hearing the news that he only had 1-2 months to live. A gofundme page was created to fly them down, but Live Gold donors had already started arranging plans to get them down. Unfortunately they were due to arrive this weekend - too late. No matter your stance on captivity for wild animals, with the abandonment from his mother, Roscoe (later Mike VI) got to enjoy one of the best life's a tiger could ask for. Never poached for his skin. Receiving top medical attention. Always had his meals provided for him. And ultimately, passing away surrounded by a large family that loved him.

Whether a Gator fan, Crimson Tide fan, Tiger fan, etc., college football lost a great one today in Mike VI.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.