End of Season Thoughts

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Well, first and foremost, I will admit that the team exceeded my expectations. Of course, I predicted us to go somewhere around 10-20 to 12-18 in the conference. Our current RPI is 61 or 62, depending on which one you look at. A win over Kentucky won't improve it much so I think it will take at least a couple of wins in Hoover to get us to a regional. Quite frankly, I don't think we are deserving of a regional based on our resume. If we do make it to a regional, our pitching is good enough to win some games there if our pathetic offense can manage to plate a few runs. I won't hold my breath for that.

That brings me to our coaching situation. I think I have stated my opinion about that in other threads, and nothing has happened to change my mind. Here is the question that needs to be asked: What has happened this season to suggest that things might be better next year? As see it, the answer is nothing. This season has been nothing more than a repeat of the past few seasons. In my opinion, going .500 in the conference and hoping for a three seed in a regional is simply not acceptable. Changes must be made.

I'm sure there will be those (primarily on the coaching staff) who will say that we have a great recruiting class coming in that will have an immediate impact next year. According to Perfect Game, we had the number 14 ranked recruiting class ... in the SEC. That's right friends and neighbors, Perfect Game rated our recruiting class as the worst in the SEC. We ranked 67th nationally behind such traditional college baseball powers as Liberty (#37), High Point (#63), and Campbell (#65). In fact, Perfect Game rated our recruiting class 15 places lower than Alabama State (#52). That's right, we were out recruited this year by the Hornets of Alabama State. There is no excuse for that whatsoever. Recruiting is the lifeblood of any college program in any sport. Finishing last in your conference and behind a team from the SWAC is not the way to improve your program.

With all of this in mind, I see two possible scenarios. (1) Gaspard is not given a new contract (his expires at the end of this season) and we look toward the future and begin the process of rebuilding the program or (2) Gaspard gets a new contract and we continue to be a lower tier team in the SEC and we play in an empty stadium that we spent more than $40 million to build.

If anyone thinks that Gaspard should be retained, please state your reasons for believing that. I would like to hear any reasons that exist.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If we beat Kentucky today, I really think CBB retains him based on the LSU and Ole Miss series. He shouldn't unless we somehow win the tournament. My biggest problem with Gaspard is that there are better programs in the state of Alabama not named Alabama and auburn. South Alabama being the most obvious. I know they have been beating us in one game series but I'm not so certain that we could beat them in a 3 game series. I would be happy with being consistently 6th or better in the sec with regional play each year, and I don't think that is asking too much.

rolltydebb

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 10, 2002
tuscaloosa, al USA
I see no way he can be kept, and that is leaving the baseball side of it out of the equation.

The fact he hasn't or wasn't already given an extension says a lot about what was expected this season. There is absolutely no way this season met those expectations in terms of checking every box.

So the options are basically this:
1) He be non-renewed
2) Him being retained on a 1 year contract, with again more expectations discussed behind closed doors, AND removing/changing the staff
3) Him being retained period on a 1 year contract

I can't see how one of these three things do not happen. Barring a late season push, I don't see how the top option doesn't happen personally.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
The Melendez guy at Alabama State would do one hell of a better job here than Mitch ever thought about doing. The very idea that he would coach one game past this season makes me sick at my stomach.

I am not the kind of person to say ugly things about someone, and I will not say anything like that about Mitch or any other coach. But he has been given a fair opportunity to establish himself and all he has done is cement us into the mediocre middle of the SEC - in a good year.

rtr

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
81usaf92;2825813[COLOR=#FF0000 said:
]If we beat Kentucky today, I really think CBB retains him based on the LSU and Ole Miss series He shouldn't unless we somehow win the tournament. My biggest problem with Gaspard is that there are better programs in the state of Alabama not named Alabama and auburn. South Alabama being the most obvious. I know they have been beating us in one game series but I'm not so certain that we could beat them in a 3 game series. I would be happy with being consistently 6th or better in the sec with regional play each year, and I don't think that is asking too much.
If the outcome today determines whether they go or stay then go Wildcats. I would think regardless of the outcome today or how we do in the tournament Battle will have to make a change. Like someone else posted if they don't we will be in the same boat next year and it will continue until changes are made.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I don't believe today makes any difference at all except that we can't go farther without a win. Being honest I'd think we would have to make the title game to get a regional bid. We were #43 in rpi last year, had a tougher SoS, and went 2-2 in the SECT, and didn't get a bid. This year's team may be a better team overall, but the rpi being in the 60's makes me believe it is over for us.

rtr

Play Ball!

1st Team
Oct 11, 2001
Birmingham
Paul Bryant Jr has been to almost every home game this season. He has observed a team with poor fundamentals, coach's acceptance of a mistake filled defense and the worst hitting team in the SEC, no player development, as no player on this team has gotten better from year to year, just look at the numbers. The only positive of this team is the pitching staff, and still, it is only middle of the pack in conference ERA. There is no real fear in any part of our line-up. Coach Battle has seen many games as well. If they see any positive reason to keep this staff, then UA is accepting mediocrity and I'm through supporting this program. I need to improve my golf game anyway.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep I'll be keeping my money next year as well if they keep Gaspard. I just cannot take it anymore. This is like Mike Shula 2.0 but with less wins! Like Play Ball! said, the pitching during conference weekends I can live with. But the quality of the coaching is shown during the midweek games where we can't win one it seems and teams like Florida are almost undefeated in non-conference and they didn't play all pansies either.

Fire Gaspard and keep Dax around to run things for us to make sure we are not hurt, recruiting, etc. and let the next coach decide his fate. We've had to suffer far too long waiting on getting our program back on track.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Dax is the only one worth keeping. Hate to see someone who bleeds crimson as much as he does to take the fall for Gasper the post-season ghost.

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
Dax is the only one worth keeping. Hate to see someone who bleeds crimson as much as he does to take the fall for Gasper the post-season ghost.

I would agree, but a new coach is probably going to clean house. Dax has done very well with very little. It wont take much to make this team great again. These guys can't do alot of basic things, but they have alot of heart. Its like they know the coach is bad, but yet refuse to accept they are a bad team.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I am excited to think about a fresh start for the program and a chance to get us back to where we belong.

Rtr

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm starting to feel like I did towards the end of Grant and Shula's tenure. That is that I want to cheer for the team but I know each win could prolong the suffering.

I also seem some similarities in that you are talking about largely unproven coaches who are not necessarily tearing things up when it comes to recruiting either.

We'll see what happens, but hiring a good coach isn't that complicated. You go out and you find someone with a proven record of success.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I'm starting to feel like I did towards the end of Grant and Shula's tenure. That is that I want to cheer for the team but I know each win could prolong the suffering.

I also seem some similarities in that you are talking about largely unproven coaches who are not necessarily tearing things up when it comes to recruiting either.

We'll see what happens, but hiring a good coach isn't that complicated. You go out and you find someone with a proven record of success.
But we've had two ADs in a row who knew football, and only football. I will give credit to CMM who at least tried to get out of his own way and let Dave Hart handle the basketball hire that resulted in Coach Grant. But otherwise, it's been like: 'we have the greatest football program ever, and some other little sports to keep some of the other kids happy.'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I have always had the impression the AD office doesn't care about anything but football. They may dump a lot of money on a stadium but keeping a coach whose peak is a .500 conference season isn't helping.

If this is the end of his contract just let him go as we won't owe him a dime.

I was reading Scarbo yesterday and he supported keeping him. He said we were picked last in the West but got a #9 seed. He did not say we were behind five other West teams in the tournament so the prediction wasn't too far off.

He also said John Cohen said he should keep his job. I'm sure lots of SEC coaches wanted us to keep Shula. Plus, what coach is going to call for someone to get fired absent any ethical issues?

There is no reason we should not compete for a league title in every sport.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Let me be clear, I'm not suggesting that our A.D. should know everything about every sport. But he should care enough about the athletic program in general to hire competent people can make competent decisions, and should not accept mediocrity from any sports.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Let me be clear, I'm not suggesting that our A.D. should know everything about every sport. But he should care enough about the athletic program in general to hire competent people can make competent decisions, and should not accept mediocrity from any sports.

Bryant Jr goes to baseball games as does Battle. Bryant Jr wants baseball to succeed and I'm pretty positive Battle knows Jr controls the purse strings... Therefore, I personally believe Mitch knows a change is coming.

Play Ball!

1st Team
Oct 11, 2001
Birmingham
This will be a telling sign of how much Bryant and Battle want baseball to succeed, if they keep this staff or let them go. I've heard Phillips is gone regardless, but the time to make that change was about 3 years ago, if he should have ever hired to begin with. If they keep this staff, then you will know they just started paying attention to baseball. This isn't something that just popped up in the last year or two, this program has been going down for the last 4 years and most of us who are season ticket holders were tired of this 3 years ago. There is no development in the players, look at our Juniors and Seniors this year, just about all were better as freshmen. We've seen that for a few years and heard the same story from the staff. You can take comments from this staff 3 years ago and play them today, its the same.
And for a sportswriter to say Bama was picked to finish last in the west but finished in the middle of the pack and thats why we should give this staff more time, then why were we picked to finish last? It might be that the other coaches and sportswriters who pick such things know how bad our program is. To be quiet honest I'm not sure this is the best staff in Tuscaloosa County.
The time for a change is now and if its not made, then UA can expect to see the support continue to fall. The novelty of a new stadium is over.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I've heard Phillips is gone regardless, but the time to make that change was about 3 years ago, if he should have ever hired to begin with.
Until the past week or so I thought Andy was a big part of the problem. Now, I'm not so sure. He has no input in the lineup, no say in calling the game from an offensive stand point. Mitch calls everything... Mitch even pretty much controls the offensive side of practice.

The kids are beat as we would if you returned to the dugout after making an out to be greeted by Mitch with a 4 letter word tirade.... The whole staff including GA's, trainers, support staff needs to go just to get rid of the toxic culture. Had they made the change back before the season and made Dax HC things would've been a lot different this spring.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
The whole staff including GA's, trainers, support staff needs to go just to get rid of the toxic culture
I can see Dax staying until a new coach is hired, but other than that I say we clean house. Everyone.

We have been mediocre for a long time now. Like Play Ball! said, if you looked at this forum 3 years ago we would have been saying the same things. This staff has never been impressive, and they have proved that over the years.

I know one thing, I'll NEVER spend another dollar coming to Tuscaloosa anymore if Mitch and crew are allowed to stay. Just myself I averaged probably a 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas every trip, almost $10 in food at Taco Casa (it's a sin in my family to go to T-town and NOT eat at the Casa) and then another $12 at the field eating M/M's and drinking a water. That doesn't count if we take the kids then all of that easily doubles or more. All that to get to the field with NOBODY there, boring atmosphere, just because nobody has faith in Mitch and staff and yes that includes me. I raise cain and holler and cheer and clap and try to have fun, but we have to actually win to get all of these things. We proved we can have a top program with the right coach. If Coach Battle can't can this dude then I'm canning what I DO spend my money on and tickets to The Joe won't be on that list. I can easily watch the Barons or Biscuits play or just not go period.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.