• Assistant coach with no experience as Head coach

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm a big MLB guy but have to confess to not knowing the college ranks all that well. I did actually work in the clubhouse of a professional baseball team for what it's worth, so the game isn't exactly foreign to me. :) I can give a lengthy list of great hires in baseball, basketball and football in terms of going out and getting someone who was a proven winner. I do feel that the more experienced a coach is, the more you know what to expect. Assistants can turn out great, but it's just a bigger gamble.

I'd also add something else. When I say proven, I don't mean coached for 2 or 3 years at a lower level college and won a bit. What did they prove really? Not that much, unless they actually coached a contender. You can't read too much into that either, it just means a bit more than if the guy wasn't a head coach at all.

I'm not saying Alabama can or will end up with a truly proven college coach, just saying it's pretty darn obvious that it is the most foolproof method of getting a winning coach. To give baseball examples, Joe Torre and Bobby Cox who came in to the Yankees and Braves and had great success when they had the right players. They didn't have to learn on their job, they knew how to coach and that's not a given with some hires.
The 90s braves would've been consistent word series regulars with or without cox, and if you can't win at the Yankees you don't deserve to coach.

But back to your argument. We have been saying that unless CBB just has this wild idea of throwing the bank at an elite coach then we ain't going to get a coach everyone is happy with. Well you may say "money isn't everything, the Alabama name should carry weight", well Alabama is at severe recruiting disadvantage and plays in the toughest conference. It's going to take a good amount to convince someone to leave a comfortable situation to a rocky 1. So unless CBB changes the Alabama baseball philosophy then I say probably the best coach we might can get with a great resume is coastal Carolina's coach, but convincing him to leave myrtle to come to t town is going to be hard.

So if I'm making a reasonable guess for our future coach, it's going to be someone like calvi

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
The 90s braves would've been consistent word series regulars with or without cox, and if you can't win at the Yankees you don't deserve to coach.

But back to your argument. We have been saying that unless CBB just has this wild idea of throwing the bank at an elite coach then we ain't going to get a coach everyone is happy with. Well you may say "money isn't everything, the Alabama name should carry weight", well Alabama is at severe recruiting disadvantage and plays in the toughest conference. It's going to take a good amount to convince someone to leave a comfortable situation to a rocky 1. So unless CBB changes the Alabama baseball philosophy then I say probably the best coach we might can get with a great resume is coastal Carolina's coach, but convincing him to leave myrtle to come to t town is going to be hard.

So if I'm making a reasonable guess for our future coach, it's going to be someone like calvi
I would take Gilmore from Coastal and call it a day. Don't think he is leaving his alma mater where he has been for 21+ years, but who knows?

We just need to,get a player development guy. We may be at a disadvantage recruiting, but we still get some pretty good players!

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Hearing nothing but crickets! Odd that we haven't heard a legit rumor, right?

Is everyone on vacation or somethin'?

rtr
Not unexpected as several folks who are likely candidates are still playing. I'd expect chatter to pick up as Super Regionals are over. Need to get someone in place as current kids are in limbo.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think we can debate post season success a bit, but despite a loaded roster, the consistent success of the Braves was remarkable. Also, the very first Braves teams had two great pitchers (Glavine and Smoltz), but do you really remember the roster? Sid Bream at first, Lemke at second, Terry Pendleton was their "big" bat, they literally had a crackhead in center field and their closer was Alejandro Pena! As far as Joe Torre, it should be noted that they had less success before and after he was their head coach. The underlying point was that neither of those hires were big risks, even if they were just given the keys to a sports car, those coaches knew how to drive them.

But back to your argument. We have been saying that unless CBB just has this wild idea of throwing the bank at an elite coach then we ain't going to get a coach everyone is happy with. Well you may say "money isn't everything, the Alabama name should carry weight", well Alabama is at severe recruiting disadvantage and plays in the toughest conference. It's going to take a good amount to convince someone to leave a comfortable situation to a rocky 1.
I'd have to start with that last point. Is it really a rock situation? It's not like Alabama ran off a mediocre coach after a couple of seasons. They kept him employed for quite a while. They have the facilities and the funds, it's not rocky, it's just not the best situation in the SEC. However, Alabama can contend, we know that, so it's just a matter of finding the right coach.

I would take the Coastal Carolina coach quick too. I think they even hosted a regional not too long ago IIRC.
He certainly would meet my criteria of proven. He's had sustained success. But, I just don't want to see another never done anything hire.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'd have to start with that last point. Is it really a rock situation? It's not like Alabama ran off a mediocre coach after a couple of seasons. They kept him employed for quite a while. They have the facilities and the funds, it's not rocky, it's just not the best situation in the SEC. However, Alabama can contend, we know that, so it's just a matter of finding the right coach.
Again, recruiting is still going to be an issue that any coach with or without a name is going to have to overcome. Lets say we get a guy like Tracy Smith from Arz St, who took INDIANA to the CWS, . His rep and resume is pretty solid. At Alabama he is going to have that same recruiting limitations that Gaspard and Wells had, and the whole state of Florida being elite programs at the same time without recruiting limitations (Miami,FSU, and Florida). The first thing he is going to need to do is going to be to convince the Florida leftovers to come to Alabama instead of USA, UCF, FAU, and USM. Exposure in baseball isn't as important as it is in other sports because scouts are at practically every game just looking for a certain "swing" or a certain "zip". Smith may have the coaching chops on game day, but with recruiting restrictions he has to make darn sure who he is getting wheras Miami can call anyone's name without hesitation. Plus convincing a great recruit from Pensacola or Destin that missed on his state's big 3 to come to Tuscaloosa over Mobile is a hard sell. Facilities are a big thing in baseball, but so is location.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Not unexpected as several folks who are likely candidates are still playing. I'd expect chatter to pick up as Super Regionals are over. Need to get someone in place as current kids are in limbo.
And Battle mentioned this in his interview. Agree after the supers things will pick-up big time.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
He certainly would meet my criteria of proven. He's had sustained success. But, I just don't want to see another never done anything hire.
Like others have said, I'm not so sure CBB is going after big names. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but I'm expecting a lower tiered coach who has taken his teams to regionals or possibly supers. I just don't see a big name coming unless we throw the bank at them and I don't see Battle making that "splash"

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
Cliff Gustafson (85) and Augie Garrido (78), 'cause not only would they be "stolen away" from Tejas as proven college baseball legends but as a couple of old guys they could also become 'Bama's "College of Coaches Emeriti," a la the '61-'62 Cubs (but with better results).
Ron Polk should be added. Of course the kids today would not want to play for some hardcore old school coaches that are not there to be their friends. See Garrido rant video...LOL

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Beat Texas Tech tonight. One win away from first trip to Omaha. The guy is legit. Especially on offense. Anyone know what his contract is?
His contract runs through 2019 (unless he has been given an extension) and will pay him $210,000 this year, $220.000 in 2017, $230,000 in 2018 and $240,000 in 2019 (unless he has been given a raise).

I have friends in North Carolina who have a son that Godwin is recruiting and they have heard rumors that Godwin is a candidate for the Bama job. He has SEC experience as an assistant with stops at Vandy, Ole Miss and LSU. He was on Paul Manieri's staff at Notre Dame and moved with him to LSU. He was also associate head coach at Central Florida for a short time and is apparently a damn good recruiter. He is young (38) and has a lot of good years ahead of him. The biggest obstacle to getting him may be that he played at East Carolina

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
His contract runs through 2019 (unless he has been given an extension) and will pay him $210,000 this year, $220.000 in 2017, $230,000 in 2018 and $240,000 in 2019 (unless he has been given a raise).

I have friends in North Carolina who have a son that Godwin is recruiting and they have heard rumors that Godwin is a candidate for the Bama job. He has SEC experience as an assistant with stops at Vandy, Ole Miss and LSU. He was on Paul Manieri's staff at Notre Dame and moved with him to LSU. He was also associate head coach at Central Florida for a short time and is apparently a damn good recruiter. He is young (38) and has a lot of good years ahead of him. The biggest obstacle to getting him may be that he played at East Carolina
Thanks Jake. I couldn't find anything on his contract. If Bama decides he is worthy, should have no problem giving him a better salary package. I like his SEC background a lot. I hope that money and being in the SEC would top his allegiance to his alma mater.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I was lurking on Tiger Droppings last night reading about the band thing and saw a thread about our coaching search. Some guy quoted some website he said was big into college baseball and said we were looking at Tulane's coach.

Not putting much into that, just thought I'd throw it out. Now I need to take a shower after reading that board. It made ITAT look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I was lurking on Tiger Droppings last night reading about the band thing and saw a thread about our coaching search. Some guy quoted some website he said was big into college baseball and said we were looking at Tulane's coach.

Not putting much into that, just thought I'd throw it out. Now I need to take a shower after reading that board. It made ITAT look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've heard the Tulane coaches name mentioned but, I got to think if he or Calvi were choice A, it would be done by now.

I got to believe we are waiting on someone still playing. The ECU and CCU coaches are probably most likely with Cohen whose season ended last night and Dunn less likely. If ECU AND CCU are knocked out today, wouldn't be surprised to see a new coach named later this week.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From the Clarion-Ledger in Jackson:

The coaching moves also may not be finished. Sources told The Clarion-Ledger Alabama is interested in John Cohen, while Arkansas is looking at pitching coach Wes Johnson, who arrived on campus earlier this year. Cohen grew up in Tuscaloosa. Johnson is a native of Sherwood, Arkansas and graduated from Arkansas-Monticello.

Play Ball!

1st Team
Oct 11, 2001
Birmingham
Hobson is around 70, with a very questionable history. Although he is a good coach. Calvi? Heard stories of questionable decisions with players and situations. May be a good on the field coach, but can't afford the risk. I think it comes back to Godwin at ECU or Heefner at Dallas Baptist. If Tulane Coach doesn't take the Texas job, he could be a possibility.
Regardless of who gets the Head job, I hope they give BJ Green a call as pitching coach. He's done a great job at Georgia Southern and loves Alabama.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.