The Gary Johnson thread

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Although I will probably vote for Johnson again I dont see any real possibility that he will win. At this point I see the only hope in someone like Bloomberg. It would probably have to be a Republican that Dems could get behind also. Target your campaign to some purple states to keep Clinton or Trump from reaching 270 and let the House choose. I dont see Johnson winning any states.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
His own words

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/09/opinions/why-running-for-president-johnson/index.html

What does it say about the level of discontent in our country that a professional salesman can launch a presidential campaign with a promise to build our very own Great Wall of China and a vague promise to "make America great again" -- and become the Republican standard-bearer?

And the Democrats? It is long overdue that we have a woman as a legitimate contender for the White House. But Hillary Clinton is the definition of the establishment so many are determined to reject.

What does all this tell me? It tells me that America may finally be ready for a presidential candidate who believes in the free market, but rejects crony capitalism. They may be ready for a candidate who actually governed a border state...and DOESN'T believe that a Great Wall is a substitute for immigration reform that today's politicians cannot summon the courage to enact.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Gary Johnson is the only candidate that has consistently made sense and appeared presidential. I'm voting for him because I want him to win, but if he doesn't I'll still feel good about my vote. I am voting FOR someone and not against the other 2 clowns running.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Bill Weld as VP is a man who could incorporate a John Randolph quote into a book title. Weld wrote a book called Mackerel by Moonlight.
John Randolph of Roanoke once described Edward Livingston on this wise:

John Randolph of Roanoke said:
He is a man of splendid abilities, but utterly corrupt. He shines and stinks like rotten mackerel by moonlight.
So, Weld has got that going for him.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
https://johnsonweld.com/issues/

So in the spirit of the Johnson/Weld campaign, I thought I'd post a link to their issues page and ask everyone where they stand on the issues.

1. Cut wasteful spending and enact a balanced budget. "wasteful can mean a lot of things, but Johnson has said this includes cutting wasteful programs in whole, cutting wasting spending in programs that will stay, and cutting defense spending especially as it pertains to foreign undeclared wars and deployments.

2. [FONT=Fira Sans, sans-serif]Governor Johnson advocates the elimination of tax subsidies, the double taxation embodied in business income taxes, and ultimately, the replacement of all income and payroll taxes with a single consumption tax that will allow every American and every business to determine their tax burden by making their own spending decisions. Taxes on purchases for basic necessities would be “prebated”, with all other purchases taxed equally regardless of income, status or purpose.[/FONT]

[FONT=Fira Sans, sans-serif]3. Term limits[/FONT]

[FONT=Fira Sans, sans-serif]4. Creating jobs by lowering tax and regulation burdens while preserving necessary safety, health, and environmental regulations.

5. Limited government and personal freedom

6. Reduce foreign military involvement and take a more proactive rather than reactive approach to foreign policy.

7. Immigration: Easy to acquire work visas including visas for those here illegally already. Screen out potential threats. Those with visas would not be prohibited from applying for citizenship, nor would they be automatically in line for it. Each entrant would be issued a SS# and be required to pay taxes like everyone else.

8. Criminal justice reform: from drugs to minimum sentences to the shear number of laws regulating personal behavior. Wants judges to have more "common sense" discretion in sentencing. Stop criminalizing behavior that harms no one.

9. Internet freedom and security: government should have a hands-off approach and not require backdoors for government intrusion. Wants freedom and innovation in the industry instead of regulation.

10. Supports school choice and abolishment of the Dept of Ed.

11. Abortion is the law of the land. Personally opposed, but feels decision is solely woman's and should be between her and her doctor.

12. End war on drugs. Legalize cannabis. Drugs are a public health issue, not a criminal issue. War on drugs has increased inner city (and other) violence, is responsible for overdose deaths, and overall been more harmful than helpful. Supports local programs for various strategies to deal with problems caused by drugs.

Johnson and Weld recently appeared on a CNN Town Hall Special. Here's the link to that:
[/FONT]<font color="#000000" face="Fira Sans, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 17px; line-height: 25.5px;">

I can nitpick certain things, but can't criticize too much the overall direction - especially compared to the competition. This election seems to me like an exaggeration of previous elections in that the principle candidates seem almost like caricatures. It's laughable, but not really funny. While the 2 major candidates insult each other and pander Johnson continues to talk about his vision for how to "Make America Sane Again".

I realize we may not get full participation, but I welcome everyone to tell us what you think about Johnson's platform on the issues, where you may agree and differ, whether those differences are acceptable or a deal-breaker, and whether considering the issues might make you reevaluate whether you'd vote for him or not and why that is so.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
It really irritates me that someone like this can't be more influential with what happens in DC, in between his presidential campaigns.

Not throwing a spear - just saying I like a lot of his positions - shouldn't take being president to get some of those strongly looked at and maybe even accomplished.....should it?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
It really irritates me that someone like this can't be more influential with what happens in DC, in between his presidential campaigns.

Not throwing a spear - just saying I like a lot of his positions - shouldn't take being president to get some of those strongly looked at and maybe even accomplished.....should it?
Well, if you mean he should personally spearhead a movement or something - I don't know what he has or has not done behind the scenes. But realistically, it is difficult to get alternate messages into the media at times and even more difficult to get a congressional or presidential audience or at least I imagine it is. I suppose he could do more. Some of those issues have been talked about for years but have gained very little traction due to a number of reasons ranging from pure politics to culture to a lack of imagination. I do like that someone is making a serious run for president that does have those positions. Should be easy to get someone like that elected if most people support the positions. But most people stop at D vs R and lament how they have no other choice. Even when they like the alternative candidate, they buy the lie that no one can get elected without the D or the R behind them. I contend that if enough people just voted their true feelings it is possible.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

So in the spirit of the Johnson/Weld campaign, I thought I'd post a link to their issues page and ask everyone where they stand on the issues.

1. Cut wasteful spending and enact a balanced budget. "wasteful can mean a lot of things, but Johnson has said this includes cutting wasteful programs in whole, cutting wasting spending in programs that will stay, and cutting defense spending especially as it pertains to foreign undeclared wars and deployments.

2. Governor Johnson advocates the elimination of tax subsidies, the double taxation embodied in business income taxes, and ultimately, the replacement of all income and payroll taxes with a single consumption tax that will allow every American and every business to determine their tax burden by making their own spending decisions. Taxes on purchases for basic necessities would be “prebated”, with all other purchases taxed equally regardless of income, status or purpose.

3. Term limits

4. Creating jobs by lowering tax and regulation burdens while preserving necessary safety, health, and environmental regulations.

5. Limited government and personal freedom

6. Reduce foreign military involvement and take a more proactive rather than reactive approach to foreign policy.

7. Immigration: Easy to acquire work visas including visas for those here illegally already. Screen out potential threats. Those with visas would not be prohibited from applying for citizenship, nor would they be automatically in line for it. Each entrant would be issued a SS# and be required to pay taxes like everyone else.

8. Criminal justice reform: from drugs to minimum sentences to the shear number of laws regulating personal behavior. Wants judges to have more "common sense" discretion in sentencing. Stop criminalizing behavior that harms no one.

9. Internet freedom and security: government should have a hands-off approach and not require backdoors for government intrusion. Wants freedom and innovation in the industry instead of regulation.

10. Supports school choice and abolishment of the Dept of Ed.

11. Abortion is the law of the land. Personally opposed, but feels decision is solely woman's and should be between her and her doctor.

12. End war on drugs. Legalize cannabis. Drugs are a public health issue, not a criminal issue. War on drugs has increased inner city (and other) violence, is responsible for overdose deaths, and overall been more harmful than helpful. Supports local programs for various strategies to deal with problems caused by drugs.

Johnson and Weld recently appeared on a CNN Town Hall Special. Here's the link to that:
<font color="#000000" face="Fira Sans, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 17px; line-height: 25.5px;">

I can nitpick certain things, but can't criticize too much the overall direction - especially compared to the competition. This election seems to me like an exaggeration of previous elections in that the principle candidates seem almost like caricatures. It's laughable, but not really funny. While the 2 major candidates insult each other and pander Johnson continues to talk about his vision for how to "Make America Sane Again".

I realize we may not get full participation, but I welcome everyone to tell us what you think about Johnson's platform on the issues, where you may agree and differ, whether those differences are acceptable or a deal-breaker, and whether considering the issues might make you reevaluate whether you'd vote for him or not and why that is so.
Have you compared these positions to those of Rand Paul?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If Johnson had a chance, I'd vote for him. But, he doesn't. He has as much of a chance as an ice cube in Hades.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
essentially very very similar with one large difference Johnson defaults to freedom whereas Paul sometimes allows his views to be skewed by a 2000 year old work of fiction
I wonder if all of the libertarians on the board voted for Rand. Or was his position on abortion a showstopper?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I wonder if all of the libertarians on the board voted for Rand. Or was his position on abortion a showstopper?
not just abortion for me. He's shown me pretty consistently that he doesn't understand the first amendment at all he's fine with trying to give Christianity special status in this country so he'd never earn my support. Freedom should matter to a Libertarian and that doesn't mean freedom to impose your dogma on others, he doesn't seem to agree

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
If Johnson had a chance, I'd vote for him. But, he doesn't. He has as much of a chance as an ice cube in Hades.
And thusly the death spiral marches ever on.

Not trying to put you down directly but this attitude in general is why America will likely never recover from the path it's on.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
And thusly the death spiral marches ever on.

Not trying to put you down directly but this attitude in general is why America will likely never recover from the path it's on.
Agree with Matt 100%. Bottom line: Johnson doesn't stand a chance only because everyone thinks he doesn't stand a chance and so they dismiss him out of hand. I am choosing to not base my vote on whether the person I can support will win. I will base my vote - the most sacred right I have in a democracy beyond life and property - on the issues, not on a vote against someone I like even less than the person I am voting for. This is the first election I will do that and unsurprisingly it's very liberating and rejuvenating. It's like the difference between surviving and living. I could give a rat's fat hind parts if my neighbors all jump off a bridge. I don't plan on following the crowd to my own demise. It's about the dumbest thing a voter can do is to throw away their sacred right like that.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Yeah, all that sounds fine, but every time he opens his piehole he makes me regret voting for him, in the past.

As for Weld....................yeah, that was the end of the line.

Guess I have no choice other than a write-in. Which might as well be.................I dunno.........sebell. At least he seems to have a sense of humor.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
JohnsonWeld sounds like a patented urological procedure.

This election should see good turnout for the Libertarians and other parties, as many may find both major party candidates equally reprehensible.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.