The Gary Johnson thread

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
The chances of Johnson getting 270 electoral votes in the general election is pretty slim...but if his campaign has enough impact so that none of the candidates gets the 270, the decision goes to the House of Representatives...who do the House Republicans give the presidency to?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The chances of Johnson getting 270 electoral votes in the general election is pretty slim...but if his campaign has enough impact so that none of the candidates gets the 270, the decision goes to the House of Representatives...who do the House Republicans give the presidency to?
Great question. I'd bet the House would want to go to Jeb Bush.
They will have to choose from the top three electoral vote earners. If Johnson gets 10 electoral votes, and the Trumpster and H split the others 264 each, and nobody gets a majority, then the House (each state voting as a state) pick from H, Trump and Johnson.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The way I read it, they only have the top three electoral-vote recipients to choose from...and the Senate would select the VP from the top two VP candidates...
You are right, of course. The would mean that somebody (Johnson?) at least one electoral college vote.
Maine and Nebraska are the only states that do not have a winner-takes-all system. If a third party candidate wins one of those votes, then that third party candidate has a chance.

Last edited:

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
You are right, of course. The would mean that somebody (Johnson?) at least one electoral college vote.
Maine and Nebraska are the only states that do not have a winner-takes-all system. If a third party candidate wins one of those votes, then that third party candidate has a chance.
If the Hillary-Trump electoral totals are very close, it wouldn't take many Johnson electoral vote to keep the other two below 270...and the election into the House (and Senate for the VP)...maybe that's why Trump is crying that the election will be rigged...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
There is nothing stopping the electors from voting for someone other than Trump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
If the Hillary-Trump electoral totals are very close, it wouldn't take many Johnson electoral vote to keep the other two below 270...and the election into the House (and Senate for the VP)...maybe that's why Trump is crying that the election will be rigged...
I think Johnson would have to actually win a state to conceivably keep both of the other candidates from reaching 270. I don't know what state he might win.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
There is nothing stopping the electors from voting for someone other than Trump.
In 2008, one NC elector, knowing her vote would not change the final vote results, asked and received permission to vote for Edwards, so Edwrads got one Electoral vote.
If that happened this year, and nobody gets a majority, the House could actually elect Johnson. That would be pretty cool.

Last edited:

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
In 2008, one NC elector, knowing her vote would not change the final vote results, asked and received permission to vote for Edwards, so Edwrads got one Electoral vote.
If that happened this year, and nobody get a majority, the House could actually elect Johnson. Thats would be pretty cool.

Do you think that the House Republicans would select Johnson? Serious question--I honestly don't know...Trump has burned a few bridges in there...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Say nobody got a majority but Hil and Donald were close. What if the Dems approached a few GOP electors or Johnson's electors and said they'd be willing to vote for Kasich? (This would be prior to the electors voting).

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Say nobody got a majority but Hil and Donald were close. What if the Dems approached a few GOP electors or Johnson's electors and said they'd be willing to vote for Kasich? (This would be prior to the electors voting).
The House gets to choose from among the top three electoral college vote earners. Any third candidate would have to get some electoral votes and would have to be in the top 3.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I wonder if he could at least carry New Mexico (5 electoral votes)
THat might be his best shot. Also Maine and Nebraska are not "winner take all" states, so if someone could get one of the Maine or Nebraska electors to vote Bernie or any other eligible human being, then that person could be among the top three.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
THat might be his best shot. Also Maine and Nebraska are not "winner take all" states, so if someone could get one of the Maine or Nebraska electors to vote Bernie or any other eligible human being, then that person could be among the top three.
Just for the record, if nominated I will not run. If elected I will not serve.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com

Everyone get your tinfoil hats ready--this scenario could get interesting...26 states (link below) have laws binding their electors to vote for the candidate that gets the most popular vote (some state laws even specify that a vote otherwise is void, and another elector is appointed). That means that the other states don't require a specific vote by their electors...each state's law would determine whether or not a candidate's name has to be on the ballot...

http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/electoral-college/electors.html#restrictions

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.