The Gary Johnson thread

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
You almost have to wonder if there is enough money to influence the Electors. Barring that will there be messages targeted specifically at them? I imagine the identities of the Electors is in the public domain. Given the recent statements regarding the use of nukes by Trump, or at least the unsubstantiated rumor that an advisor said he asked why they were off the table, how long until targeted messaging starts to try and influence the Electors into a vote for anyone but Trump?

Technically isn't that the whole point of the Electoral college and having a Republic as a means of governance? Sometimes the public cannot be trusted.
The Founders would not have put things that way, they (1) imagined the things the Federal government would handle would be few and deal mostly foreign affairs* and (2) the Electors were sort of a "cut out" between the populace and the President, someone you trust, but having only one very limited job (picking a president) and after that duty was done, they were dismissed and (3) anything a president did would be pursuant to an act of Congress, the more popular branch of which would have to face the people every other year.

This monstrosity we have created (the Imperial Presidency) is nowhere near what the Founders envisioned, or they would have left us some protection against it.

Little Jimmy Madison said:
* The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Trump-related but placing this here since it's more specifically related to the discussion of electoral votes:

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/0...old-electoral-college-vote-from-donald-trump/
I understand where he's coming from, but I think the honorable thing to do when your duty conflicts with your ethics is to resign the position, which relieves you of the duty. Being elected as a Republican elector means casting your ballot for the candidate that the party nominates. To run as a Trump elector and then not carry out the duties of the office strikes me as unethical. If you cannot cast an EC vote for Trump, don't run as a Trump elector. Simple.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I understand where he's coming from, but I think the honorable thing to do when your duty conflicts with your ethics is to resign the position, which relieves you of the duty. Being elected as a Republican elector means casting your ballot for the candidate that the party nominates. To run as a Trump elector and then not carry out the duties of the office strikes me as unethical. If you cannot cast an EC vote for Trump, don't run as a Trump elector. Simple.
This woman does not approve of your jiggery pokery.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
There have been a few faithless electors from time to time. None have changed the outcome of an election. So even if it were "against the law" in a particular state, the only punishment I think one would face is that they would never get to be an elector again.

I agree with TW about the Georgia guy. If you can't carry out your pledged duty, you need to resign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The Founders would not have put things that way, they (1) imagined the things the Federal government would handle would be few and deal mostly foreign affairs* and (2) the Electors were sort of a "cut out" between the populace and the President, someone you trust, but having only one very limited job (picking a president) and after that duty was done, they were dismissed and (3) anything a president did would be pursuant to an act of Congress, the more popular branch of which would have to face the people every other year.

This monstrosity we have created (the Imperial Presidency) is nowhere near what the Founders envisioned, or they would have left us some protection against it.
Those powers not enumerated aside of course.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I watched part of this and liked what I saw.

Too bad they didn't run as Republicans.....where they could have won the nomination.
Johnson didn't get close in 2012 in a not much better field. He refuses to pander to the Evangelicals and in todays GOP you can't win the nomination without them

he wouldn't have made the first debate cut

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
If the election happens to get thrown into the House, he might just be seen as the least "dangerous" of the three...
He is the least dangerous of the three, by far. But I have no hope of the house making any sort of rational decision, but I guess there is always a first time

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.