2017 4* Kicker Brandon Ruiz Updates (Flips to Arizona State)

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
Can we find a golden retriever who is really good at kicking? Ive see those air bud movies and it usually works out well,.
Now there's a bit of nostalgia Poke! I remember having the first Air Bud on vhs back in 97. Hard to believe that was 20 years ago. Buddy originally played basketball before they found a way to make him play every other sport known to man

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Many people are saying that we don't attract elite talent at kicker which just isn't true. Our last few were highly rated coming out of HS. It is their progression once they are on campus that is disappointing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Many people are saying that we don't attract elite talent at kicker which just isn't true. Our last few were highly rated coming out of HS. It is their progression once they are on campus that is disappointing.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
This. Remember how highly rated Foster was? Griff wasn't a scrub, either.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
A big part of the issue is that it's a bit like quarterbacks. People are like what's wrong with Alabama's evaluation/development of quarterbacks? Well, for starters most schools don't have elite QBs. There only so many to go around. Secondly, all you have to do is miss a couple times to have a hole at the position. Now, of course this is impacted by how good the school is as evaluating and developing talent. However, Saban isn't a QB coach any more than he's a kicking coach. It takes someone else doing that for him.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
A big part of the issue is that it's a bit like quarterbacks. People are like what's wrong with Alabama's evaluation/development of quarterbacks? Well, for starters most schools don't have elite QBs. There only so many to go around. Secondly, all you have to do is miss a couple times to have a hole at the position. Now, of course this is impacted by how good the school is as evaluating and developing talent. However, Saban isn't a QB coach any more than he's a kicking coach. It takes someone else doing that for him.

Apparently there needs to be some re-tooling in this area. Who coaches kickers now?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Apparently there needs to be some re-tooling in this area. Who coaches kickers now?
No one since there are only 9 on-field assistants. With the possible addition of a tenth on-field assistant (waiting AD approval in the spring), many expect colleges to add a full time ST coach with some kicking experience.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
IMO, the kicking issue is WAY overblown. Tiffin was good not great from '07-'09. Shelley was very good from '10-'12, Groza semi-finalist, 44-55 on FG, 99% on XP. Griffin has been good at 70%, though bad early in a season, he always finished strong, hit every big kick, never the cause of a loss. Foster was 10-12 before AU in '13.

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
adam griffith kicked that famous kick 6.

IMO, the kicking issue is WAY overblown. Tiffin was good not great from '07-'09. Shelley was very good from '10-'12, Groza semi-finalist, 44-55 on FG, 99% on XP. Griffin has been good at 70%, though bad early in a season, he always finished strong, hit every big kick, never the cause of a loss. Foster was 10-12 before AU in '13.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
You can't put that on Griffith. Saban is the best in the business but that was on him.
That was not Griffith's or Saban's fault. How can the backup True Fr. kicker be faulted for missing a 58 yard FG ? He was on line. How can Saban be faulted for being aggressive with a kid who had kicked that far in practice, and a 55 yarder since in a game ? He didn't miss by a mile. Again, Saban was just being aggressive and trusting his player. How many people were yelling "don't try the FG" ? AU surely wasn't. AU made a good play that few, if any, including AU, were thinking would result in a TD. I.e., the odds were better of making the kick than returning it for a TD on the last play of the game.

Last edited:

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
That was not Griffith's or Saban's fault. How can the backup True Fr. kicker be faulted for missing a 58 yard FG ? He was on line. How can Saban be faulted for being aggressive with a kid who had kicked that far in practice, and a 55 yarder since in a game ? He didn't miss by a mile. Again, Saban was just being aggressive and trusting his player. How many people were yelling "don't try the FG" ? AU surely wasn't. AU made a good play that few, if any, including AU, were thinking would result in a TD. I.e., the odds were better of making the kick than returning it for a TD on the last play of the game.
I was all for the kick at the time but if there is any blame to be placed it has to be on Saban. We try a 58 yard FG, AU puts a man back to field it, and we have no one with speed on the field to run him down if he catches it? No blame on AG at all...

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I was all for the kick at the time but if there is any blame to be placed it has to be on Saban. We try a 58 yard FG, AU puts a man back to field it, and we have no one with speed on the field to run him down if he catches it? No blame on AG at all...
I bet if Phillip Doyle had that happen he would have nailed the guy. I used to love watching him after he kicked off. Wasn't afraid to mix it up.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I bet if Phillip Doyle had that happen he would have nailed the guy. I used to love watching him after he kicked off. Wasn't afraid to mix it up.
Sports Science looked at the play. Griff was running at the necessary angle until a teammate nudged him while both were in pursuit, thus he didn't get Davis.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Sports Science looked at the play. Griff was running at the necessary angle until a teammate nudged him while both were in pursuit, thus he didn't get Davis.
Yep. The pursuit angles of some of the other players (Mandel and others) is what cost us on that play.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Yeah, I went to HS with Phillip Doyle. Tremendous athlete and yes he probably would have made the tackle. Lane Bearden was another who liked to mix it up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.