Nick Eicholtz 13th Round Marlins
Will Haynie 16th Round Rockies
Matt Foster 20th Round White Sox
Geoffrey Bramblett 30th Round Royals

We also had three incoming players drafted through 35 rounds:

Cal Jones (OF) 6th Round Royals
Zach Clark (INF) 19th Round Brewers
Garrett Suchey (RHP) 30th Round Marlins

I think its safe to say that Burrows, Eicholtz, Haynie and probably Foster are gone. It is equally likely that we will never see Jones or Clark. I'm surprised that Bramblett didn't go higher that he did. There is a chance that he may return. Suchey may also come here rather than signing. A lot of it will depend on who we hire as head coach and pitching coach.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Update: The draft is now over. Unless I missed someone, we had no other current players or signees drafted.

I'm kind of surprised that no one took a shot with Salem and I was hoping that Chance Vincent may get a look. I guess that's why the scouts get paid the big bucks and I am just a fan.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Guys like Hubbard and Castillo came here and started contributing really early, only to see their innings fall away to nothing later on. I only bring it up because you have to wonder about the development issue with out team under the old staff.

Rtr

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I think its safe to say that Burrows, Eicholtz, Haynie and probably Foster are gone. It is equally likely that we will never see Jones or Clark. I'm surprised that Bramblett didn't go higher that he did. There is a chance that he may return. Suchey may also come here rather than signing. A lot of it will depend on who we hire as head coach and pitching coach.
I agree Burrows is gone as is Haynie. Burrows won't improve his value that much so taking the $$ for his slot makes sense. Being drafted in the 16th round Haynie slots out at about $100K. Unless he can jump up to the 10th round or higher next year, he stands to make the same of not less. Teams are slotted $100K per player in rounds 11-40. As a Jr who can go back, he has negotiating power to try and get a little more. As a senior he has no power and even if he moved up a few rounds, he'll get less and the team will use the difference to over pay a slot. The fact Haynie isn't playing summer ball after playing in the Cape last year also tells me he is ready to move on.

Eicholtz I think stays b/c a good season he can jump to the top 10 and get more. Bramblett IMO can go either way... Can he really jump from 30 to top 10, doubtful. Can another year in the SEC help him develop more VS SS or low A minors, probably...

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Guys like Hubbard and Castillo came here and started contributing really early, only to see their innings fall away to nothing later on. I only bring it up because you have to wonder about the development issue with out team under the old staff.

Rtr
Hubbard got hurt and never regained his form. Castillo was never the same after Gaspard let him get roughed up in a regional and left him in the game to take a beating. I don't think he ever got his confidence back.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I'm torn on Haynie, but glad he is going to the Rox and could see him playing fairly early there with his bat and in that thin air. At least be a part time catcher at worst. I'm surprised nobody took a shot on Castillo honestly, the kid seemed to have problems being consistent but of course when you pitch once in a blue moon it's hard to look totally good. I thought he still had the mph's to go somewhere and with his potential curveball getting tweaked and learning a good change and he could have been a nasty middle inning guy at worst. I just wished he had one more year under another coach and "restart" per say. Bamajake I think you are talking about the Tallahassee Regional where he came in to close I think and I agree Gaspard left him hanging big time. Not sure how he looked in practice, but it seemed Gaspard blamed him for the collapse and he rarely pitched him at all after that. He went less than 20 innings this year and you can't tell me Ray was that bad. No way.

Burrows is gone or he is dumb. That's good money there, I think there is a good chance we see Bramblett back too, not a good money spot you would think and I'm surprised he didn't go higher as well. His last game he struggled but was that the only game the scouts were at or what? I thought for sure he'd go in the first 15 rounds. Might be a good chance Clark and Suchey are coming here but you never know. If we make a big enough splash we might get more than we think, but if we drag it out and everyone is all "blah" like we were with Gaspard (I don't remember anyone being happy about Jim leaving, coming back and kind of making sure it was Mitch then left again). I don't remember this section being all nuts over him but I've been wrong before and will be many times after tonight.

Play Ball!

1st Team
Oct 11, 2001
Birmingham
Colton Freeman was left off the list. He has alot of potential. Have to wonder where he has been for the last four years. He has had some injuries but not 4 years worth. Evidently the scouts saw what alot of talent. He could return, but if I were him I'd take the pick and get with some coaches that can work with him.

Last edited:

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Colton Freeman was left off the list. He has alot of potential...

I had also noticed his omission . Drafted by my Cubs in the 20th round .

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Haynie signed with the Rockies. Assigned to Short A Ball in Boise, ID. If he can cut down on the K's, the thin air in Colorado could be his friend.

So far he is 3 for 14 with a double and 9K's.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.