Thread where you post pictures of your pet(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
My sweet Dudley has been diagnosed with CHF. He has very bad ascites, and the increase in Lasix isn’t helping too much. I talked with my vet today because I was curious about getting him a paracentesis done. He didn’t seem to like that idea because of it only lasting one or two weeks. It’s not going to help long term and he said he wouldn’t put his dog through it if it were him. He said I should start thinking about putting him down, which I knew was coming sooner rather than later. It’s rough, though, because he’s still mentally sharp and loves to eat. Better too soon than too late I suppose.
We just had our older cat euthanized. Broke my wife's heart badly. I was sad but it was the right thing for her. You'll know when the time is right.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I need some opinions of what y’all would do if it were your dog. I slept on it and this morning I feel like I want to get the fluid drained even though it will come back. The vet didn’t know how long it would take for it to come back and if the fluid comes back within a week then I’ll know it’s time to put him down. But what if it stays gone a month or two? I don’t think anyone knows for sure until it’s done.

He’s not cyanotic, not having difficulty catching his breath, doesn’t cough but periodically. He just has to sit down several times while out because he can’t go. This is driving me crazy trying to figure out what to do. I don’t want it to seem like I’m doing this for me and not putting his needs ahead of what I want.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Sometimes your companion makes it clear what their human should do and sometimes not.

Always a very tough decision.

In most cases your vet will give you the best input but ultimately you will be the best advocate for your companion.

Adding to what Gray posted above...sometimes they will also make a comeback. I thought I was going to have to put Winkipop to sleep just over a year ago due to her failing mobility. Then after getting her on the right meds...she was like a whole new girl and has been going fairly strong ever since.

I can't tell you what to do Jessica, but as you have stated, the comfort and quality of life of Dudley should be of highest priority.

Please give your boy a big hug from all of us.....

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
I need some opinions of what y’all would do if it were your dog. I slept on it and this morning I feel like I want to get the fluid drained even though it will come back. The vet didn’t know how long it would take for it to come back and if the fluid comes back within a week then I’ll know it’s time to put him down. But what if it stays gone a month or two? I don’t think anyone knows for sure until it’s done.

He’s not cyanotic, not having difficulty catching his breath, doesn’t cough but periodically. He just has to sit down several times while out because he can’t go. This is driving me crazy trying to figure out what to do. I don’t want it to seem like I’m doing this for me and not putting his needs ahead of what I want.
Jessica it's never easy to make the decision to end the life of a pet who has been more of a family member than maybe your own. I had to do it to my German Shorthaired Pointer last year after years of hunting and family fun. She was almost 17 and losing control of her body but she went peacefully and the vets were wonderful. They moved us into a separate building and gave her water and a couple of treats and the vet came in, put her to sleep first and then euthanized her. It wasn't a decision I wanted to make but had to for her sake. I feel like if you have provided a good life for Dudley and he is reaching an age of continuing downward, the kindest act you can do for him is to put him down. It's the when do you make the decision that is the problem. You probably already know in your heart the answer to that question. I would hope he does get better but in my case I knew that wasn't going to happen. I feel for you, it's a tough decision.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

We had to put down our greyhound last year after 14 years. It's tough but the question I asked the vet was "Is she suffering?" The answer (in our case) was "yes". So I knew what the right thing to do. It's never an easy decision.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I decided to let Dudley go today. I took him up to my vet to get the fluid drained. I just wanted to try it once to see if it made it more comfortable. When they tried to do the procedure he became restless because he couldn’t breath with the way he was having to be positioned. The vet didn’t want to put him under to do it. He said he thought it was time. I didn’t want to have to bring him back home then take him back up there, and I didn’t want him suffering.

I took some of his favorite treats up there and he chomped those down. He loved to eat until the very end. Then I held his head and kissed him and petted him as he passed. I’m sad but also at peace with this decision. He will be missed. Of course, he was a Bama fan :)

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
sorry for your loss. i had to put down my favorite dog several years back after he got a relatively aggressive cancer at 8 years old. i was glad i got to make him a plate of steak and eggs for him to enjoy on his last night with us.

keystnlabs

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 20, 2013
I decided to let Dudley go today. I took him up to my vet to get the fluid drained. I just wanted to try it once to see if it made it more comfortable. When they tried to do the procedure he became restless because he couldn’t breath with the way he was having to be positioned. The vet didn’t want to put him under to do it. He said he thought it was time. I didn’t want to have to bring him back home then take him back up there, and I didn’t want him suffering.

I took some of his favorite treats up there and he chomped those down. He loved to eat until the very end. Then I held his head and kissed him and petted him as he passed. I’m sad but also at peace with this decision. He will be missed.
So very sad for you. You WILL see him again. You must. [emoji190]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm so sorry Jessica. But respect to you for doing the right thing - as hard as it was.

As Keystnlabs said....he will be waiting for you when you arrive....no doubt wagging his tail.

Keep the fondest memories close to your heart.

Your friend, Baz

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
Jessica,

Very sorry for your loss. It’s never easy when this day comes. Hang in there!

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Very sorry to hear this, Jessica. As others have said, for good pet owners it's like losing a member of the family. Know that you gave Dudley the best life possible. A lot of dogs and cats aren't so fortunate. Remember the good times with Dudley.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

Had to let him go about 2 hours ago. Mr. Watson was a good cat, 18 years old rescue cat. RIP Mr. Watson.
They are such great Buds and there is no easy way to say goodbye to an old friend and family member.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
So sorry to hear of your loss, GT. Pets are family and it's never easy to say good bye. Hang in there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.