Thread where you post pictures of your pet(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Hello all....we've been going through some mobility issues with my older girl, Winkipop, and in the course of my research into various treatments, I ran across some information that might also be of help to some of you.

Turmeric is a spice that many are using for joint pain management. There is a Facebook page dedicated for those interested...it's called the Turmeric User Group. Search for it and when you find it you have to put in a request to be added. I did this last night and was added this morning. There are over 220K members worldwide. There's a TON of info on that page.

In the meantime, here is the recipe for the paste:

To prepare Golden Paste:

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup (65-70g, or about 2.6 oz dry weight) turmeric powder
1-2 cups (250-500ml) water (use half the total amount to begin with and have the other half ready if needed)
1/3 cup (70ml) coconut, olive or linseed oil (or salmon oil for dogs, but please see the note below)
3 tsp (about 7g) freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Combine the turmeric and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to keep the mixture at a simmer, and cook for 7-10 minutes. Stir frequently to keep from sticking, and add more water as need to keep it to a paste consistency. The exact thickness isn't important--you can adjust that to your preference.
Remove it from the heat and allow it to cool until the pan is just warm to the touch. Add the oil and pepper and stir thoroughly until they are completely mixed in. Store in a clean jar (you can sterilize it if you like) in the refrigerator. It should keep for about two weeks. If you see any sign of mold, or notice an 'off' flavor, discard and make a new batch.
If you know you won't use all of it within two weeks, you can freeze half for later us.
NOTE: all fish oils become rancid very quickly after being opened. We recommend either freezing the golden paste if you make it with salmon or another fish oil, or adding the oil when you feed the paste. The paste will keep only a few days in the fridge if you make it with fish oil.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
For adults and older children, start with 1/4 tsp twice daily in food.
Most dogs can start with the same amount. Small dogs and cats should start with no more than 1/8 tsp.
For everyone, after 4-5 days you can increase the amount and/or the frequency. Wait 4-5 days in between each increase. If you experience gas, bloating, loose stools or other digestive upsets, reduce the amount and/or frequency.
There is no specific maximum, but we recommend no more than about 3 teaspoons per day. Turmeric is metabolized fairly quickly even when consumed with pepper, so it's better to have small amounts often.
Some dogs and a few horses may develop a 'cat pee' odor after starting turmeric or golden paste. If this happens, you can add a tablespoon of Ceylon cinnamon to a batch of golden paste. This will eliminate, or at least reduce, the odor.
If you are using any prescription medication, it would be a good idea to consult your doctor before adding any biologically active foods like turmeric to your diet. You can check our file on interactions as well, but don't assume that something is not a problem just because you don't find it there. We can't cover everything.
See our files (Files tab at the top of the page) and our website for additional resources. You can use the search bar at the top of the page to look for previous posts on any subject you're interested in know about.
Getting Started: http://www.turmericlife.com.au/getting-started/
Feeding Dogs: http://www.turmericlife.com.au/turmeric-dogs

More info on Turmeric:
If you're new to turmeric, PLEASE BE AWARE that it is not compatible with all medications. If you are taking prescription medications, tell us before starting to use golden paste, or turmeric in any form. We can help with medication interactions.

Turmeric is not a fad. Nor is it a supplement, nor a homeopathic remedy. Turmeric is a food with thousands of years of documented use. It's the most widely used spice in India and other parts of Asia, and is an integral part of the folk medicine tradition in both India and China.
Turmeric must be consumed with some form of fat or oil in order to be absorbed. It is not water soluble and will simply be eliminated if no fat is present. Adding freshly ground black pepper extends the time that it's active in your body.
We strongly suggest using turmeric in the form of Golden Paste, as it includes all the ingredients that make turmeric both well absorbed and bioavailable.

----------------
I haven't tried it yet but intend to buy the Turmeric today and make the paste when I get home.

I will keep you posted as appropriate but am excited to have this knowledge that may be of help to my girl(s) - and I will be trying some for myself as well as I too have various joint pain periodically.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Air Force Sergeant cradles Bodza draped in US flag after heartbreaking decision to put him down

The pair served side-by-side on four military tours before the soldier adopted him when Bodza retired in 2014.

He remained by Bodza's side as he took his final breaths.
Kyle told WSOC he said "I'm going to miss you" during the pair's last moments.

He said: "I hugged him and told him that I loved him a lot, 'I’m gonna miss you'. He was as much a part of the Air Force as me. I couldn't have done the mission I did without him there."

Kyle also revealed he bought Bodza a final treat from McDonald's before the emotional farewell.

He added: "He got a Big Mac. He didn’t leave a crumb."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.