Baseball Moderator
Staff member
Jun 23, 2000
Tuscaloosa , AL USA
diamondtide.tidefans.com
Goff comes to Tuscaloosa after spending two seasons at Louisiana Tech

June 17, 2016

TUSCALOOSA, AL
- University of Alabama Director of Athletics Bill Battle announced today the hiring of Greg Goff as head baseball coach at The University of Alabama. Goff is the 31st head coach in Alabama baseball history and comes to Tuscaloosa after spending the past two seasons at the helm of the baseball program at Louisiana Tech University.

Goff led an incredible resurgence in Ruston in only two seasons at the helm of the Louisiana Tech program. Inheriting a team that won only 15 games in 2014, Goff's Bulldogs improved to 25-27 in 2015 before a breakthrough 42-20 record in 2016, which included an at-large berth in the NCAA Tournament's Starkville Regional. It was the Bulldogs' first NCAA Regional appearance in 29 years, dating back to 1987.

"I am very happy to announce that we have reached an agreement with Greg Goff to become our next head baseball coach at the University of Alabama," said Battle. "Greg is a proven winner as a head coach, with an impressive record of developing programs into championship-caliber teams. I was impressed with his knowledge of the game and the SEC, his organization and control of games and practices, and his passion to coach at the University of Alabama.

"Greg has been a winner at every stop along the way, and he has done it with class. We are very excited that Greg has accepted our offer to be our next head coach, and I am confident that he will lead our student-athletes to compete for championships while doing so with the integrity and honor that we value."

Goff, a native of Jackson, Tenn., has had success at every stop as a head coach, including two seasons at Louisiana Tech (2015-16), seven seasons at Campbell University (2008-14) and four seasons at Montevallo (2004-07). In his 13 combined seasons as a college head coach, Goff has led his teams to 40-plus wins six times, including four such seasons in his last five years (his final three years at Campbell and this past season at Tech). Furthermore, Goff's teams have made an appearance in an NCAA Regional in two of the last three seasons (Campbell in 2014, Louisiana Tech in 2016).

While at Tech, Goff helped the Bulldogs reach the 40-win plateau for the sixth time in program history and the first time since 1988. Goff's 2016 squad went 42-20 and advanced to the program's first NCAA Regional appearance since 1987. His Bulldogs also set program records with seven series wins and 19 victories in Conference USA, the nation's fifth-best league in 2016 based on Ratings Percentage Index (RPI).

"I am thankful to Athletics Director Bill Battle and The University of Alabama for the opportunity to be the head coach of the Crimson Tide," said Goff. "This is a great University and a great baseball program in the nation's top baseball conference, and I am truly blessed to be here today. I have continued to work hard my entire career so that I could one day coach at one of the nation's elite programs, and I could not be happier than to be a part of such a storied program. We have a lot of work ahead of us, but I look forward to the challenge and am once again thankful for this opportunity. Roll Tide!"

Goff's produced a record of 224-174 at Campbell, including three consecutive 40-win seasons -- the Camels' only 40-win campaigns in program history -- during his final three years in Buies Creek. In 2013, Goff was named Big South Coach of the Year and was named one of Perfect Game USA's top-10 rising college coaches for his efforts. The Camels went 41-18 (.695) in 2012, 49-10 (.831) in 2013 and followed that with a 41-21 (.661) mark in 2014. His 2013 squad captured the Big South regular season championship, while his 2014 team won the Big South Tournament and advanced to an NCAA Regional.

Prior to his tenure at Campbell, Goff directed Montevallo to a 152-84 (.644) mark in four seasons as head coach. In Goff's final two years at UM, the Falcons set program records for wins in consecutive seasons, with 43 in 2006 and 47 in 2007. Goff led Montevallo to its first NCAA Division II College World Series appearance in 2006, where his team finished third and claimed the Southeast Region Championship. That same year, Goff was named the ABCA South Central Region Coach of the Year as well as the Coach of the Year for all divisions by the Alabama Baseball Coaches Association.

Goff brings extensive coaching experience to the Capstone, including 10 seasons as an assistant coach prior to beginning his head coaching career at Montevallo. His final stint as an assistant coach came at the University of Kentucky, where he spent five seasons as the Wildcats' pitching coach from 1999-2003. During his time in Lexington, he helped guide UK to 38 victories in the 2000 season, a total that was a program record at the time. Goff also served as an assistant coach at Southeast Missouri State from 1997-99 and at his alma mater, Delta State, from 1994-97.

He played collegiately at Jackson State Community College, where he earned his associate's degree in 1991. He then spent time on the mound at Delta State, where he would eventually earn his bachelor's and master's degrees in 1994 and 1996, respectively. Goff is married to the former Tina Newbill of Jackson, Tenn. They couple are the parents of four daughters: Kara, Kiley, Kolby and Kenzie.

-UA-

Welcome to Tuscaloosa, Coach Goff !

RTR,

Diamond Tide
:biga:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.