MN cops kill man trying to get his ID out

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Interesting.....

Confirmed – Philando Castile Was an Armed Robbery Suspect – False Media Narrative Now Driving Cop Killings…

Saint Anthony, MN, Police Officers Jeronimo Yanez and Joseph Kauser pulled over Mr. Castile and Ms. Reynolds because the driver, Philando Castile, matched the suspect profile in an armed robbery which occurred on July 2nd, at a convenience store, only a few blocks from where their car was pulled over.

The armed robbery occurred on July 2nd 7:30pm (Sat). The CCTV images were given to media and LEO by detectives on July 5th (Tuesday). A BOLO (Be On Look Out) alert was issued the same day, Tuesday July 5th. Philando Castile was pulled over on July 6th.

From the radio dispatch of Officer Jeronimo Yanez:
I’m going to stop a car. I’m going to check IDs. I have reason to pull it over.”
The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery. The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just ‘cause of the wide set nose.”

Also.....

It is possible a CCP was obtained in another county, however the media are conflating “permit to purchase” with “concealed carry permit”. For some reason the CCP ownership is being amplified; it really has no bearing and is largely irrelevant for the context of the situation. That said, there is no factual evidence Mr. Philando Castile had a CCP.
Due to the rear facing camera option on the phone Ms. Reynolds was using, the uploaded video everyone has seen is a reversed mirror image – making it appear she was in the drivers side, and Castile was on the passenger side. However, that impression is incorrect, Castile was driving the vehicle. The uploaded image is reversed by Facebook Livestream Video.
However, correcting the mirror image, in part of the video it is possible to see a hand gun located on the thigh of Philando Castile. This also appears to be why Officer Yanez repeats to Ms. Reynolds not to reach toward her boyfriend:

I saw this also. It makes the whole affair make a lot more sense. In the BR shooting, the officers were called to the scene of a "man with a gun" call, so they knew he was armed - and non-compliant. When he appeared to go for that pocket, he was effectively a dead man...

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Careful now, the facts do not fit the narrative that the race baiting politicians and eager media wish to promote.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I saw this also. It makes the whole affair make a lot more sense. In the BR shooting, the officers were called to the scene of a "man with a gun" call, so they knew he was armed - and non-compliant. When he appeared to go for that pocket, he was effectively a dead man...

This is what I was thinking.

Broken taillight and the cop has his weapon drawn?

Makes more sense if he was making a stop to check out a suspected armed robber.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been any official statements made on the situation by law enforcement and local DA office.

All we've heard so far is the Minnesota governor shooting his mouth off and throwing the police under the bus....smh....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is what I was thinking.

Broken taillight and the cop has his weapon drawn?

Makes more sense if he was making a stop to check out a suspected armed robber.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been any official statements made on the situation by law enforcement and local DA office.

All we've heard so far is the Minnesota governor shooting his mouth off and throwing the police under the bus....smh....

Actually, the officer's lawyer indicated that the officer pulled the guy over because he matched a suspected armed robber. His lawyer indicates that there is credible audio on the dispatch that indicates that was the reason. Whether he was justified in shooting the guy is still up for debate, but I saw this information on fox earlier today.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Snopes:

Police who pulled over and killed Philando Castile reported they thought he might have resembled a suspect in an armed robbery case. That's a far cry from Castile being a suspect.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Snopes:

Police who pulled over and killed Philando Castile reported they thought he might have resembled a suspect in an armed robbery case. That's a far cry from Castile being a suspect.
Still it makes a whole lot more sense than being pulled over for a busted taillight. I'm not saying the cop was in the right, but it's looking way different than what it was presented. Bottom line: the dash cam and possible body cam is going to be the tell tell sign of whether this was justified or not..

Fwiw: I took the conservative paper with a grain of salt, but now that every news outlet is playing the dispatch it seems there is probably more to it than just the one side we got.

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Snopes:

Man in a passing car resembles a suspect. Until the officer pulls him over and IDs him, he's not a far cry at all from being a suspect.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
"Suspect" is a term the police tend to hold off on using. They won't even call someone a Person of Interest until a certain point in the investigation. Not sure if these term carry legal weight or not.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Man in a passing car resembles a suspect. Until the officer pulls him over and IDs him, he's not a far cry at all from being a suspect.
From the weird arithmetic of the Justice Department, if you have a Be-On-the-Look-Out for an African-American male who held up a convenience store two blocks away, for every African-American you pull over, you have to pullover six white people.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Snopes:

I never said that he was a "suspect." If he resembled an armed robber, from a robbery committed in the immediate neighborhood, that's certainly grounds for pulling him over for ID...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I never said that he was a "suspect." If he resembled an armed robber, from a robbery committed in the immediate neighborhood, that's certainly grounds for pulling him over for ID...
If this all is true, the guy admitting he had a gun could only intensify the officer's worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If this all is true, the guy admitting he had a gun could only intensify the officer's worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is the reported radio dialog: LINKThe PD hasn't authenicated it, but it would explain why the LEO approached with his weapon drawn.The GF has said that her BF announced he was a licensed carrier (gun in his lap). The county said "no," but he could have been in an adjacent county. Still a lot to come out...

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
You didn't, but the article you quoted did. And while resemblance to a BOLO is ground for being pulled over, in terms of public perception, there is a difference between "There's John Smith, he's a suspect in that robbery, let's pull him over", and "that guy kind of resembles the BOLO, let's pull him over."

Ironically, the linked article accuses the media of pushing a false narrative when they're pushing a false one of their own--That was my main point. Sorry for not making it clearer.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You didn't, but the article you quoted did. And while resemblance to a BOLO is ground for being pulled over, in terms of public perception, there is a difference between "There's John Smith, he's a suspect in that robbery, let's pull him over", and "that guy kind of resembles the BOLO, let's pull him over."

Ironically, the linked article accuses the media of pushing a false narrative when they're pushing a false one of their own--That was my main point. Sorry for not making it clearer.
At any rate, there were enough resemblances to justify a stop. You're not seriously arguing that they had no grounds for a stop, are you?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
At any rate, there were enough resemblances to justify a stop. You're not seriously arguing that they had no grounds for a stop, are you?
Not at all--just pointing out how the linked article was pushing its own narrative, both with its use of "suspect" and the misleading discussion of the concealed carry permit.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not at all--just pointing out how the linked article was pushing its own narrative, both with its use of "suspect" and the misleading discussion of the concealed carry permit.
Oh, I knew the site was pushing its own narrative. However, the core matter of the recent robbery is of record and we'll see where it'll lead. I have no doubt there was reasonable cause to stop them and to approach them with caution. I'll not link them here, because I can't, but the GF's credibility is greatly damaged by videos shot by her, within a couple of days before the incident, of her and him smoking MJ and shots of her private parts - all with her daughter watching from the back...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.