MN cops kill man trying to get his ID out

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yes. If it went down just as his girlfriend stated, and unfortunately she didn't start videoing until after he was shot, then this officer needs to be tried for murder. The man did everything correctly and still got killed.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
If it went down like the article says then I hope the cops end up in jail for a long time.

Some of the protesters should spend the night in jail as well. I'm so tired of seeing protester block traffic, that is suppose to be illegal.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I guess it's just my age....but I never think of videoing anything.....much less after something so traumatic.....if someone I cared about just got shot, i'm not sure my first thought is to pull out my phone and start videoing....

this one is going to be bad.....

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I guess it's just my age....but I never think of videoing anything.....much less after something so traumatic.....if someone I cared about just got shot, i'm not sure my first thought is to pull out my phone and start videoing....

this one is going to be bad.....
I felt the same way too. However, consider the recent news. Consider what is on every black person's mind these days. In light of that, it's not so strange that she would do this. IMO.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I felt the same way too. However, consider the recent news. Consider what is on every black person's mind these days. In light of that, it's not so strange that she would do this. IMO.
Agreed. And she was far more level-headed than I would have been in that situation.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Never ever reach into your pocket unless you clearly let the cop know what you are doing.......and then wait for him/her to give you permission to do so. Especially if you are a black man.

Cop: "License and registration, please."
Driver: "Sir.....I am in possession of a firearm and have a license to carry. I do not want to move any part of my body until you give me instructions on what to do."

Communication and going VERY slow with any physical motion is crucial in avoiding incidents like this.

I am not excusing a trigger happy cop - but these are times we are living in now.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Never ever reach into your pocket unless you clearly let the cop know what you are doing.......and then wait for him/her to give you permission to do so. Especially if you are a black man.

Driver: "Sir.....I am in possession of a firearm and have a license to carry. I do not want to move any part of my body until you give me instructions on what to do."

Communication and going VERY slow with any physical motion is crucial in avoiding incidents like this.

I am not excusing a trigger happy cop - but these are times we are living in now.
according to the girlfriend this is exactly what occurred.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

you sort of are

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Maybe so, but if someone says he has his concealed carry permit and is packing and he is moving slowly for his license/identification when he told me he's reaching for it, and I've already got a gun pointing at him, and, I'm a trained "professional" my first instinct is to let him slowly take his identification out. On top of that, he's got his girlfriend and a child in the car. I seriously doubt that any sane individual is going to risk their injury as well. I think this guy did everything right. An overreaction by a zealous cop resulted in the death of an innocent man.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Maybe so, but if someone says he has his concealed carry permit and is packing and he is moving slowly for his license/identification when he told me he's reaching for it, and I've already got a gun pointing at him, and, I'm a trained "professional" my first instinct is to let him slowly take his identification out. On top of that, he's got his girlfriend and a child in the car. I seriously doubt that any sane individual is going to risk their injury as well. I think this guy did everything right. An overreaction by a zealous cop resulted in the death of an innocent man.

Without video.....we don't know how it all went down.

Again...I am not excusing sloppy police work.

Easy to second guess and hindsight is always 20-20.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Without video.....we don't know how it all went down.

Again...I am not excusing sloppy police work.

Easy to second guess and hindsight is always 20-20.
Always and I'm trying not to in the Baton Rouge shooting. There's an obvious struggle so it seems much more difficult. In the MN shooting though, it just appears to be complete overreaction by the police.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
the guy announced that he had a carry permit and a gun.
Was he reaching into his pocket as he said that.....or did he wait until he received direction from the cop on how to proceed?

maybe we should start giving general advice to cops on how to deal with folks without killing them
I think the PUBLIC in general need to be schooled on how to avoid being killed by cops. Reference the Chris Rock video. That needs to be shown on TV every day....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Always and I'm trying not to in the Baton Rouge shooting. There's an obvious struggle so it seems much more difficult. In the MN shooting though, it just appears to be complete overreaction by the police.

And I am not taking sides. I'm only stating how important it is to go ridiculously SLOW with your movements when you are stopped by a cop. Unfortunately it's a matter of survival.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
If this went down as it appears the cop should spend the rest of his life in jail. I just have a hard time thinking the cop was stupid or racist or evil enough to just shoot him like that without cause. Maybe I am just naive about how some people can be that bad. The girlfriend was awfully calm and collected in the video she provided, which seems odd. It is just off somehow. I hope the truth comes out and justice is served. Either way, it is a tragedy.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
And I am not taking sides. I'm only stating how important it is to go ridiculously SLOW with your movements when you are stopped by a cop. Unfortunately it's a matter of survival.
I got pulled over for allegedly speeding a couple of years ago and at the time my then 15 year old, was in the car with me as we were going to a high school football game. At no time did the police officer look threatened, draw his gun or have his hand on his gun, approach my truck "cautiously" or create a situation that I felt threatened or that he seemed threatened. Now, I was agitated for getting pulled over, but I wasn't threatening toward him. While he was standing by more door, I reached in my pocket for my wallet and my son reached in the glove box for my insurance card.

So, should I have felt like I needed to avoid being killed by a cop because I was allegedly speeding? Or in this case, had a busted tail light? I'm just saying, where does this insanity end with cops drawing guns at every incident of a simple traffic violation? I know there are examples of police getting shot at by idiots. But I would argue that the vast majority of basic traffic stops are non-life threatening situations for the police and don't warrant the brandishing of weapons. Its a two-way street. Give respect to get respect. If you yell and scream at me with a gun pointing in my face because of a busted tail light with my wife/girlfriend/kids in the car in what really seems to be a complete non-threatening situation, then guess what, I'm going to start hating your guts too and I'm going to become belligerent and rightfully so. And that wasn't even the case in this situation.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Does anyone wonder why the media does not provide a tutorial on how to act when you are pulled over?

Does anyone else understand that you are supposed to both:

1) stay in you vehicle
2) keep both hands on the steering wheel

........until the cop tells you what to do.

When I get pulled over.....I'm frozen, until told otherwise.

If you are carrying.......not only are you frozen....you have to calmly have a discussion with the cop on what is going to happen and how it is going to happen BEFORE you take your hands off the wheel. And then go very very slow with every movement.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.