And still WBC champion Deontay Wilder

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I think Tyson got banned for drug use, Vlad is old but it would be a nice fight.
Yes, Tyson Fury got himself into a mess; his mouth, if nothing else, is always out of control. If he can pull himself together, Wilder vs Fury would be a good fight.

Tyson Fury has a cousin, Hughie Fury, who is making a name for himself in the heavyweight division as well. I don't know how good he is but seems legit; he is 6'6" tall so not as tall as his cousin.

Wladimir Klitschko has a good fight scheduled in April. Win or lose, I don't know how much longer he will (should) stay in the game.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Until Fury gets his crap together there is no sense in worrying about him yet. Hopefully he goes after the WBO belt next. I actually know his sister and nephews and we even sat with them during the Molina fight. Great family.

As for him fighting higher talent he did go to Russia (or close) to fight Alexander Povetkin, but Povetkin was caught taking that Melodium (or whatever it was called) and failed a pre-fight drug test and Wilder pulled out and rightfully so. That basically led to the mess with Wilder tearing his bicep and breaking his hand in the last fight.

I just wished some of the Bama big wigs would get behind him money wise and we host a true title vs title fight here in Birmingham. It would be rocking 3x what Bartow did and it was pretty dang loud that night!

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I forgot about the fight and remembered when it was too late to watch it. Deontay did show he was elite last night as you say and he will get his shot at a big money unification fight sooner than later.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Did Wilder play football at Alabama? What is the connection to the UA football board?
No he didn't , but one of his dreams was to play football for Bama. I know his daughter was born with a condition and some of his plans were kind of altered. His fights have usually been posted on the football board . I think it's just a show if support for a guy from Bama and the football board gets the most traffic.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The mods generally are a little more lenient about what is posted here in the off season. Wilder is from Tuscaloosa, so it isn’t too far out of bounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
If he can continue to refine his pugilist skills
This will be his downfall. He's a great fighter, not a great boxer, and if he comes across a great boxer, he will lose. However, I haven't see a great heavyweight boxer in many, many years.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
This should be in the works soon. Joshua may have a mandatory title defense to complete first.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...unanimous-decision-unify-3-heavyweight-titles
Don't get your hopes up bro. Hearn/Joshua has the leverage so you better believe they'll ask for an 80/20 split at least and he'll have to fight in the U.K. That's a given. They'll expect Wilder to jump through hoops even if it's after Joshua's mandatory. It will almost be like Mayweather/Pac all over again on negotiations.

Just to show you how much of a snake Eddie Hearn is, Sky Sports invited Wilder to be a guest commentator last night and he agreed only if he could get a face off in the ring afterwards. Sky agreed to his terms and then called back a few days later and said they couldn't so that's why Wilder DIDN'T show up last night. Hearn threatened Wilder with extra security and even a restraining order and then when interviewed last night he called Wilder out for not being there and even talked trash. Pure snake.

The fight will definitely NOT happen this year and I'd be surprised if it happens before 2020 because if not, Joshua can fight a nobody and the Brits are dumb enough to fill 80k capacity stadiums because they think he's the greatest. I think Wilder knocks him out if they fight, crap an over-aged Klitschko even floored Joshua. Parker even hurt him with a body punch in the 11th last night.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Don't get your hopes up bro. Hearn/Joshua has the leverage so you better believe they'll ask for an 80/20 split at least and he'll have to fight in the U.K. That's a given. They'll expect Wilder to jump through hoops even if it's after Joshua's mandatory. It will almost be like Mayweather/Pac all over again on negotiations.

Just to show you how much of a snake Eddie Hearn is, Sky Sports invited Wilder to be a guest commentator last night and he agreed only if he could get a face off in the ring afterwards. Sky agreed to his terms and then called back a few days later and said they couldn't so that's why Wilder DIDN'T show up last night. Hearn threatened Wilder with extra security and even a restraining order and then when interviewed last night he called Wilder out for not being there and even talked trash. Pure snake.

The fight will definitely NOT happen this year and I'd be surprised if it happens before 2020 because if not, Joshua can fight a nobody and the Brits are dumb enough to fill 80k capacity stadiums because they think he's the greatest. I think Wilder knocks him out if they fight, crap an over-aged Klitschko even floored Joshua. Parker even hurt him with a body punch in the 11th last night.
I have no hopes whatsoever. Just noticed Joshua's comments while reading about the fight

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I have no hopes whatsoever. Just noticed Joshua's comments while reading about the fight

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yep they are going to drag this out big time. They'll want Wilder a little older and to take a few more punches to the head as well as all the other things to fuss over before Hearn lets Joshua fight him. This is what has killed boxing over the years and let MMA take over. I'm a fan of both but boxing can't afford to watch another blockbuster fight lost to crappy negotiations after Mayweather/Pac bombed big time as well as Mayweather/McGregor. Boxing needs a huge fight like this and maybe even 2-3 fights between the two if Wilder does indeed win the first one or we have a super close decision.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Yep they are going to drag this out big time. They'll want Wilder a little older and to take a few more punches to the head as well as all the other things to fuss over before Hearn lets Joshua fight him. This is what has killed boxing over the years and let MMA take over. I'm a fan of both but boxing can't afford to watch another blockbuster fight lost to crappy negotiations after Mayweather/Pac bombed big time as well as Mayweather/McGregor. Boxing needs a huge fight like this and maybe even 2-3 fights between the two if Wilder does indeed win the first one or we have a super close decision.
I agree that boxing, particularly the heavyweight division, needs a marquee rivalry. While Wilder has a ton of power, from what I've seen, I'd put my money on Joshua.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.