Blog: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 64
  1. #14
    BamaNation Hall of Fame AUDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    I don't roll on Shabbos.
    Posts
    9,509

    Re: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land

    Last year, a journalist from Caracas described a country teetering on the brink of civil war, with the majority of military officers fed up with and likely opposed to Maduro. She described a breakdown in social order due to police corruption, with more affluent neighborhoods patrolled by vigilantes, and the wealthiest neighborhoods patrolled by armed, private security firms. She described food riots in the poorest neighborhoods, markets being looted by hungry mobs.

    Rough time to be Venezuelan.
    Just a barner.
    Off the Gus Bus and on the Pearl Parade!

  2. Advertisement
  3. #15
    BamaNation Hall of Fame AUDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    I don't roll on Shabbos.
    Posts
    9,509

    Re: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land

    The oil glut has left the government unable to support the generous subsidy programs enacted in palmier days, and with the Chavistas screwing up their other good industry (steel), they don't have much to fall back on.

    In Venezuela, Chavez subsidized many aspects of everyday life, including food costs, that Maduro can no longer sustain. With high oil prices, the day of reckoning could be postponed indefinitely, but now everywhere in the world of oil producers, the chickens are coming home to roost. There are even cracks in the facade of Saudi Arabia for exactly the same reasons.

    In many respects (not all), this is not the product of a social, economic or political system, but of the collapse of oil prices.
    Just a barner.
    Off the Gus Bus and on the Pearl Parade!

  4. #16
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
    Posts
    19,832

    Re: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land

    Socialism fails again? Wow. Never saw that coming.
    Bodhi


    Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

  5. #17
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Shiner, TX
    Posts
    23,292
    Thread Starter

    Re: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    The oil glut has left the government unable to support the generous subsidy programs enacted in palmier days, and with the Chavistas screwing up their other good industry (steel), they don't have much to fall back on.

    In Venezuela, Chavez subsidized many aspects of everyday life, including food costs, that Maduro can no longer sustain. With high oil prices, the day of reckoning could be postponed indefinitely, but now everywhere in the world of oil producers, the chickens are coming home to roost. There are even cracks in the facade of Saudi Arabia for exactly the same reasons.

    In many respects (not all), this is not the product of a social, economic or political system, but of the collapse of oil prices.
    The Saud family are large property holders in the US. Farmland, commercial buildings, etc.

    http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/15/saudi...southwest.html

  6. #18
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Relayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,888

    Re: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land

    Sean Penn, Danny Glover, etc al., must be proud.

  7. #19
    BamaNation Hall of Fame AUDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    I don't roll on Shabbos.
    Posts
    9,509

    Re: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land

    Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    The Saud family are large property holders in the US. Farmland, commercial buildings, etc.

    http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/15/saudi...southwest.html
    Both economies are a house of cards waiting to come crashing down, but Saudi Arabia can tread water longer than Venezuela because they made some moves to save for a rainy day. For example, instead of putting fossil fuel revenues above a certain price (eg 60$/bl) into a reserve fund, the entirety of the Venezuela's receipts were spent. Saudi Arabia, which has much less human capital, was able to figure this out in the 70s. Surely the Chavistas were made aware, but chose to ignore this. Either way, the Saud family must make some market reforms and diversify or they will soon be in the same boat as Maduro.
    Just a barner.
    Off the Gus Bus and on the Pearl Parade!

  8. #20
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
    Posts
    19,832

    Re: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land

    I have an acquaintance who loves him some socialism. Starring about 15 years ago Venezuela was his gold standard, and I've been telling him for 15 years that he is a moron. I wonder if he has awakened to reality yet.
    Bodhi


    Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

  9. #21
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Shiner, TX
    Posts
    23,292
    Thread Starter

    Re: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land

    Venezuela heading toward dictatorship. Supreme court guts Congress.

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ssembly-duties

  10. #22
    BamaNation Hall of Fame AUDub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    I don't roll on Shabbos.
    Posts
    9,509

    Re: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land

    Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Venezuela heading toward dictatorship. Supreme court guts Congress.

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ssembly-duties
    This was hinted it last year after the election. Defense minister Vladimir Placido's response was "hell to the no." I imagine the military will get sick of this crap before long and he'll be toppled.
    Just a barner.
    Off the Gus Bus and on the Pearl Parade!

  11. #23
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Shiner, TX
    Posts
    23,292
    Thread Starter

    Re: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land

    Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    This was hinted it last year after the election. Defense minister Vladimir Placido's response was "hell to the no." I imagine the military will get sick of this crap before long and he'll be toppled.
    Let's hope.

  12. #24
    BamaNation All-American bama_wayne1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,637

    Re: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land

    Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    Anyone who can should cultivate a small garden in their back yard, if for no other reason than to better appreciate the effort and land required to grow all of the produce you see in your local grocery store. It is a staggering revelation.
    I've been doing that since I was 19....I'm 57 now. I agree with you.

  13. #25
    BamaNation All-American tattooguy21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,199

    Re: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land

    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Reb View Post
    I would also suggest that everyone buy at least a couple of large plastic barrels for storing water. This is a wonderful time of year to collect it from your gutters and other runoff locations.
    Be careful with that. It's illegal in certain states. No, I'm not kidding. Two seconds and Google and you'll be amazed.

    And I don't mean "ye olde laws of yesteryear." I mean people being ticketed/fined for doing it within the past year.

  14. #26
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Shiner, TX
    Posts
    23,292
    Thread Starter

    Re: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land

    Quote Originally Posted by tattooguy21 View Post
    Be careful with that. It's illegal in certain states. No, I'm not kidding. Two seconds and Google and you'll be amazed.

    And I don't mean "ye olde laws of yesteryear." I mean people being ticketed/fined for doing it within the past year.
    I think its illegal in Washington. I remember reading something about a family getting cited for that. Stupid ridiculousness abounds unfortunately. "We own the rain water." Ok...

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar