Blog: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: My Venezuela Nightmare: A 30-day hunt for food in a starving land

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    Venezuela is getting crazy
    Been crazy there for a while.
    Made a Facebook friend years ago who lives there and we stay in touch. Her family is very wealthy and have been able to survive, but she’s kept me posted on the situation.
    It’s been so bad for so long I don’t know how the country is still a country. Oil fields are a wreck due to NO maintenance over the years.
    A tragedy of huge proportions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Made a Facebook friend years ago who lives there and we stay in touch. Her family is very wealthy and have been able to survive, but she’s kept me posted on the situation.
    It’s been so bad for so long I don’t know how the country is still a country. Oil fields are a wreck due to NO maintenance over the years.

I think we’re finally hitting the tipping point. Hope Maduro is removed soon.
    Just a barner.
    Off the Gus Bus and on the Pearl Parade!

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post

A good friend of mine in Alabama grew up in a wealthy Venezuelan family. Back in the mid-90s, he was telling me that Venezuela was basically a fiefdom. The rich owned all the land and wealth, and the country was full of abject poverty. Typical of many Latin American countries.

I remember back then, both of us discussing how easily a Castro-type figure could rise and motivate the masses to overthrow the oligarchy, and create another Cuba. And then, Hugo Chavez appeared.

When I was in BsAs a year ago, the city was full of Venezuelan expats and economic refugees. Chavez/Maduro have made a mess of that country.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    A good friend of mine in Alabama grew up in a wealthy Venezuelan family. Back in the mid-90s, he was telling me that Venezuela was basically a fiefdom. The rich owned all the land and wealth, and the country was full of abject poverty. Typical of many Latin American countries.

I remember back then, both of us discussing how easily a Castro-type figure could rise and motivate the masses to overthrow the oligarchy, and create another Cuba. And then, Hugo Chavez appeared.

When I was in BsAs a year ago, the city was full of Venezuelan expats and economic refugees. Chavez/Maduro have made a mess of that country.
    Sounds vaguely familiar to the US.

How in the world can their inflation rate be 10 million percent

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    That's nothing - Zimbabwe's peak month of inflation was estimated at 79.6 billion percent about 10 years ago...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

It's surprisingly easy when the price of the only commodity propping up a house of cards economy collapses and the guys setting monetary policy are laughably corrupt.
    Just a barner.
    Off the Gus Bus and on the Pearl Parade!

BamaNation All-SEC

All of the debt and import purchases of these countries is denominated or priced in US Dollars. When there is political/economic instability the value of their currency relative to the Dollar changes by several magnitudes. Shortages of necessities follow and more currency chases fewer and fewer goods. A wheelbarrow full of money to buy a loaf of bread as it was in Germany following World War l

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    All of the debt and import purchases of these countries is denominated or priced in US Dollars. When there is political/economic instability the value of their currency relative to the Dollar changes by several magnitudes. Shortages of necessities follow and more currency chases fewer and fewer goods. A wheelbarrow full of money to buy a loaf of bread as it was in Germany following World War l
    If my math is correct, 10 million % means that something that cost $1 last year would now cost $100,000? Bummer for anyone on a fixed income.

BamaNation All-SEC

If my math is correct, 10 million % means that something that cost $1 last year would now cost $100,000? Bummer for anyone on a fixed income.
    Yes the magnitude of that number sounds ridiculous on the surface of it. When we look at fiat currencies that have no basis in value such as with gold they can become completely worthless. This is where the US is headed at some point with our constantly deflating the value of the dollar. The Fed buying our own debt and holding on the Fed balance sheet which is essentially printing money.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

It is a tragedy what is going on there but the US and our allies own some of the blame. This is ultimately about getting a regime change that will privatize some industries we care about such as oil. Nothing spells doom more certainly than daring to federalize oil while being in South America or the Middle East.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Chavez discovered you can’t “buy” love and respect, but he found out too late, after he had practically destroyed the country.
    Maduro is just another mouthpiece. It’s sad.

The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower