***** 2017 WR Jerry Jeudy Commits *****(arrived 1/10) - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: **** 2017 WR Jerry Jeudy Commits ****

He really is ... if he come in focused, he will learn a lot from the WR talent we'll have next year. Ardarius and Calvin are two really good guys to learn from.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by DeeBeast View Post
    Jerry retweed his highlights today. Good lord is he good!
    https://twitter.com/PrepForce1/statu...09241087565824
    That is some fabulous video. Let's add Davonte Smith and Henry Ruggs to this WR class and it will be the best ever at Bama.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Given Hurts weakness in the passing game, do y'all think some of our elite receiving recruits might be rethinking their commitments? I love JH, but he is struggling as a passer and Calvin Ridley does not have many catches this season.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Given Hurts weakness in the passing game, do y'all think some of our elite receiving recruits might be rethinking their commitments? I love JH, but he is struggling as a passer and Calvin Ridley does not have many catches this season.
    Jalen has the arm to make all the throws (and then some). He is just going to have to work on his timing and accuracy on the 20+ yard throws and he will get plenty practice before next season. When he can use the whole offensive playbook Bama will be an offensive juggernaut.
    ROLL TIDE

BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar

Give the guy a break! Jalen was playing HS football this time last year and he has done a magnificent job for us. Yes, he needs to work on his accuracy for long throws, but that skill will come with practice and game experience. His pros certainly outweigh his cons. By the time JH leaves the Capstone, he will be considered one of our best QBs ever and if these WR that are being recruited for 2017 are smart, they will hitch their wagon to him and win NCs and become high draft choices. Just sayin'
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

BamaNation All-American

Re: ***** 2017 WR Jerry Jeudy Commits *****

Ridley is 2nd in SEC in receptions with 44, Stewart is 8th with 28 after missing 2 or 3 games. Ridley is 4th in yards, Strewart is 5th.

Jalen is the 4th rated passer, 5th in completions and 5th in yards.

I know there can always be improvement, but the constant criticism of Hurts baffles. JP, Greg, AJ, Blake and Jake all missed many deep passes, but Jalen is the 4th rated passer in the SEC and that's his weak point. Amazing. He was ESPN's mid year SEC MVP. He's a multiple SEC office player of the week, probably the only one.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    Ridley is 2nd in SEC in receptions with 44, Stewart is 8th with 28 after missing 2 or 3 games. Ridley is 4th in yards, Strewart is 5th.

Jalen is the 4th rated passer, 5th in completions and 5th in yards.

I know there can always be improvement, but the constant criticism of Hurts baffles. JP, Greg, AJ, Blake and Jake all missed many deep passes, but Jalen is the 4th rated passer in the SEC and that's his weak point. Amazing. He was ESPN's mid year SEC MVP. He's a multiple SEC office player of the week, probably the only one.
    You realize that all of those tiny flips in the WR sweeps counts as a pass, right? Forget the number of passes caught. You or I could make those passes. The concern about Hurts as a passer are legit when you consider that his completion percentage on passes which travel over 20 yards in the air is below 30 percent.

Hurts' amazing talent as a runner and a leader have allowed him and Alabama to overcome his weakness, but you now face a few defenses that specialize in stopping the run. Hurts may have to hit on those routes. That is why folks are concerned. Not criticizing, but concerned.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

As for this, it might depend on how he continues to progress as the season goes along. But if Alabama wins another championship with Hurts at QB this year, I doubt that you lose any of these guys. They all want to be a part of something special, and where would they have a better chance of that than at Alabama?

BamaNation All-American

If indeed Tua and Mac Jones make it to campus, I wouldn`t be surprised to see an intense competition at QB. That`s not intended as a knock on Jalen, either. Throw in the real possibility of CLK`s departure and you have the potential for lots of unknowns going into next year. I really don`t know how similar in philosophy CLK and CSS are when it comes to offense. I`ve always assumed somewhat so at least.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamabryan's Avatar

Jalen is a true freshman. Consider the fact he was playing high school football this time last year. He's only going to get better and his played extremely well to this point. Granted his passing needs to improve but Hurts getting better is a pretty scary thought to our opponents.

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DeeBeast View Post
    Jerry retweed his highlights today. Good lord is he good!
    https://twitter.com/PrepForce1/statu...09241087565824
    I was struck by two things:

First, his consistently catching the ball with his hands. Seldom brings it into the body.

Second, the speed to consistently outrun defenders who have the angle on him. They just can't bring themselves to take the angle necessary to have even a chance at a tackle.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    You realize that all of those tiny flips in the WR sweeps counts as a pass, right? Forget the number of passes caught. You or I could make those passes. The concern about Hurts as a passer are legit when you consider that his completion percentage on passes which travel over 20 yards in the air is below 30 percent.

Hurts' amazing talent as a runner and a leader have allowed him and Alabama to overcome his weakness, but you now face a few defenses that specialize in stopping the run. Hurts may have to hit on those routes. That is why folks are concerned. Not criticizing, but concerned.
    Yes, I know the flips are counted as passes 😊, just like for Jake and Blake and other QBs in the league. I also know, as I stated in the original post that there is room for improvement. I also believe that there "seems" to have not been very much yardage gained on those passes this year. Some website who tracks these things said that Jalen was ?6-22? on passes 20 yards or more downfield in the first 4 games and 8-18 in the last 3 games before the A&M game. that is marked improvement. And if you watch other college games, you see that many other QBs, including top ones, miss most deep passes. I believe Jalen errs on the side of caution and overthrows rather giving the receiver a chance at a 50/50 ball that would increase his completion rate.

My point was that if one looks at the numbers, they are much better than many realize. I certainly agree that downfield passing one of the weaker parts of Bama's offense, but IMO, it is not nearly as bad as many Bama fans contend. The numbers bear that out, even with the little pitches. And assuming the website was correct, he improved from 27% to 44% from the UK game thru the UT game on his downfield passes.

BamaNation All-American

I know the flips count as passes completed but also the times he throws it away to avoid a bad play count as incomplete passes.
    Also, CLK's potentially leaving, being a concern for unknowns on our offense is like saying last year that our defense this year would struggle because of the potential for Coach Kirby Smart to leave for a HC job.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.