***** 2017 WR Jerry Jeudy Commits *****(arrived 1/10) - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: **** 2017 WR Jerry Jeudy Commits ****

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Given Hurts weakness in the passing game, do y'all think some of our elite receiving recruits might be rethinking their commitments? I love JH, but he is struggling as a passer and Calvin Ridley does not have many catches this season.
    A lot of this is imagined. His rating has him as 4th in the conference, and that's as a passer not a runner. This is a true freshman who simply hasn't had the reps with these guys as most of the ones ahead of him.

I'll elaborate a little bit. We had a guy drop a couple passes from Hurts and he just doesn't drop passes! Deiter had 92 receptions last year, and one dropped pass. What's the issue? He and Hurts haven't spent as much time together. One of those drops came on a deep pass, which despite an alleged weakness in that regard, Hurts put in the right place for Deiter to catch it, he just didn't. Sticking with drops on deep balls, we've seen a few of those. Considering it's never a high percentage play, a few dropped deep passes go a long way. Same goes with interference, if the guy gets mugged going for the catch, it doesn't matter how well it was thrown.

Now that's just one aspect but I've been watching Hurts and I just don't see a lot of errant passes. I see a lot of near misses. Near misses can be corrected and are not always the fault of the quarterback. Every Alabama quarterback we've seen for years, had at least one full season of practicing with the receivers before he started. That's no small thing. Of course Hurts isn't perfectly synchronized yet, but I think the idea that this isn't something that will improve over time is misguided.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; November 2nd, 2016 at 10:32 AM.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    A lot of this is imagined. His rating has him as 4th in the conference, and that's as a passer not a runner. This is a true freshman who simply hasn't had the reps with these guys as most of the ones ahead of him.

I'll elaborate a little bit. We had a guy drop a couple passes from Hurts and he just doesn't drop passes! Deiter had 92 receptions last year, and one dropped pass. What's the issue? He and Hurts haven't spent as much time together. One of those drops came on a deep pass, which despite an alleged weakness in that regard, Hurts put in the right place for Deiter to catch it, he just didn't. Sticking with drops on deep balls, we've seen a few of those. Considering it's never a high percentage play, a few dropped deep passes go a long way. Same goes with interference, if the guy gets mugged going for the catch, it doesn't matter how well it was thrown.

Now that's just one aspect but I've been watching Hurts and I just don't see a lot of errant passes. I see a lot of near misses. Near misses can be corrected and are not always the fault of the quarterback. Every Alabama quarterback we've seen for years, had at least one full season of practicing with the receivers before he started. That's no small thing. Of course Hurts isn't perfectly synchronized yet, but I think the idea that this isn't something that will improve over time is misguided.
    I just read where Calvin has 1 less catch and 28 less yards than he did this time last year. Obviously he did not have many touches in the first couple of games last year since Foster was still healthy. Jalen and Calvin have been working extra after practice to get their timing down and it is only a matter of time before Jalen gets it as you reference Krazy. I think we will actually see the first deep hook-up between the two on Saturday. WR recruits will flock to play with Jalen.

BamaNation Second Team

"His rating has him as 4th in the conference" and "I just read where Calvin has 1 less catch and 28 less yards than he did this time last year." Yes, but these stats are buoyed by the frequent forward toss and pitch passes that we have executed in the spread. I think it is fair to say we are not very good throwing the ball down the field at his point. I don't blame it all on the QB (although there are certainly things that he has to do better as a passer).

This worries me too with defenses like LSU and Auburn on the horizon because we all know they will sell out to stop our running game; crowding the line of scrimmage to slow down the run, and trying to penetrate gaps along the LOS in order to not let our QB have time to survey the field before throwing. I hope JH and CLK are on top of their game this Saturday!
    Last edited by Jkl0802; November 2nd, 2016 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkl0802 View Post
    "His rating has him as 4th in the conference" and "I just read where Calvin has 1 less catch and 28 less yards than he did this time last year." Yes, but these stats are buoyed by the frequent forward toss and pitch passes that we have executed in the spread. I think it is fair to say we are not very good throwing the ball down the field at his point. I don't blame it all on the QB (although there are certainly things that he has to do better as a passer).

This worries me too with defenses like LSU and Auburn on the horizon because we all know they will sell out to stop our running game; crowding the line of scrimmage to slow down the run, and trying to penetrate gaps along the LOS in order to not let our QB have time to survey the field before throwing. I hope JH and CLK are on top of their game this Saturday!
    You do know the jet sweep and quick screens were a part of our offense last year? Calvin had quite a few of them. I understand your concern about the deep ball but we have dominated everybody we have played so far without it. I don't see it being any different in our remaining games.

As far as penetrating gaps in order to not let our QB have time, if they do this Jalen is going to take off. You have to keep lane integrity and if they are shooting gaps he is going to take off. It's the beauty of having a QB like Jalen. Damned if you, damned if you don't.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Jkl0802 View Post

You don't have to throw the bomb to take advantage of the loaded box with the passing game. Jalen is pretty proficient with the 0-30 yard pass and has occasionally connected on a longer pass. CLK will come up with a game plan using what Jalen does well. It won't take many completed passes over the LB's to back some out of the box.
    ROLL TIDE

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by HITIDE View Post
    You don't have to throw the bomb to take advantage of the loaded box with the passing game. Jalen is pretty proficient with the 0-30 yard pass and has occasionally connected on a longer pass. CLK will come up with a game plan using what Jalen does well. It won't take many completed passes over the LB's to back some out of the box.
    I totally agree HITIDE. JH isn't great "yet" at the long ball but he's hit enough this year to keep defenses honest. Our offense has so many different wrinkles that it isn't enough to just stop the traditional run game any more. Our pro style mixed with zone read gives us a good advantage to move the ball more than in years past. The key to it all is execution of course, everyone from the O line to the WRs and everybody in between all have to do their best to play their role. I'm excited about the offense and knowing that a majority of the offense will be back next year is even more impressive.

BamaNation All-American

The stat you're going by puts Sean White as a peerless #1... think that's at all indicative of his actual relative throwing ability? I understand people to primarily be concerned with Jalen's raw ability to throw the ball downfield -- i.e. with his accuracy and touch -- when they criticize his passing game. That's something that can get hidden in a lot of stats -- or, at least, if it really is an issue, I'd hope we'd be doing things that would result it in being hidden.
    "A great value of antiquity lies in the fact that its writings are the only ones that modern men still read with exactness."

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

All good points, guys, and I'm probably worrying unnecessarily. Jalen's passing figures are good--not great--and those numbers are inflated with the toss/pitch passes on the rpo's and jet sweeps we run so much now. Don't misunderstand me, I love the kid and think he's got a high ceiling to improve and develop, I'm just worried if it will happen fast enough as we go on a championship run this season.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; November 4th, 2016 at 11:18 AM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation All-American

Deleted by poster -- wrong thread.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; November 4th, 2016 at 03:34 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Second Team

I like your positive vibes TiderJ; hope to heck you are "spot on" this Saturday.

Re: Jerry Jeudy to decide Thursday night

Jerry has moved up to the #1 WR spot and the #12 overall spot in the newest Rivals rankings.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/134
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-SEC tidefan39817's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAVILLE View Post
    I totally agree HITIDE. JH isn't great "yet" at the long ball but he's hit enough this year to keep defenses honest. Our offense has so many different wrinkles that it isn't enough to just stop the traditional run game any more. Our pro style mixed with zone read gives us a good advantage to move the ball more than in years past. The key to it all is execution of course, everyone from the O line to the WRs and everybody in between all have to do their best to play their role. I'm excited about the offense and knowing that a majority of the offense will be back next year is even more impressive.
    A.J. was not that great with the long ball his sophomore year. his junior year he was a bit better and his senior year he was pretty darn good at it. i would feel a lot better if more check downs were designed into the pass plays. te dragging, rb running a curl or even quick slants from the slot.

Re: Jerry Jeudy to decide Thursday night

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Jerry has moved up to the #1 WR spot and the #12 overall spot in the newest Rivals rankings.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/134
    That is great news and well deserved.

Unfortunately I recently read where Jerry's much younger little sister passed away. Prayers and thoughts for the Jeudy family.