***** 2017 WR Jerry Jeudy Commits *****(arrived 1/10)

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Re: **** 2017 WR Jerry Jeudy Commits ****

Given Hurts weakness in the passing game, do y'all think some of our elite receiving recruits might be rethinking their commitments? I love JH, but he is struggling as a passer and Calvin Ridley does not have many catches this season.

HITIDE

1st Team
Jul 6, 2003
TRINITY, AL., USA

Given Hurts weakness in the passing game, do y'all think some of our elite receiving recruits might be rethinking their commitments? I love JH, but he is struggling as a passer and Calvin Ridley does not have many catches this season.
Jalen has the arm to make all the throws (and then some). He is just going to have to work on his timing and accuracy on the 20+ yard throws and he will get plenty practice before next season. When he can use the whole offensive playbook Bama will be an offensive juggernaut.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

Give the guy a break! Jalen was playing HS football this time last year and he has done a magnificent job for us. Yes, he needs to work on his accuracy for long throws, but that skill will come with practice and game experience. His pros certainly outweigh his cons. By the time JH leaves the Capstone, he will be considered one of our best QBs ever and if these WR that are being recruited for 2017 are smart, they will hitch their wagon to him and win NCs and become high draft choices. Just sayin'

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Re: ***** 2017 WR Jerry Jeudy Commits *****

Ridley is 2nd in SEC in receptions with 44, Stewart is 8th with 28 after missing 2 or 3 games. Ridley is 4th in yards, Strewart is 5th.

Jalen is the 4th rated passer, 5th in completions and 5th in yards.

I know there can always be improvement, but the constant criticism of Hurts baffles. JP, Greg, AJ, Blake and Jake all missed many deep passes, but Jalen is the 4th rated passer in the SEC and that's his weak point. Amazing. He was ESPN's mid year SEC MVP. He's a multiple SEC office player of the week, probably the only one.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Ridley is 2nd in SEC in receptions with 44, Stewart is 8th with 28 after missing 2 or 3 games. Ridley is 4th in yards, Strewart is 5th.

Jalen is the 4th rated passer, 5th in completions and 5th in yards.

I know there can always be improvement, but the constant criticism of Hurts baffles. JP, Greg, AJ, Blake and Jake all missed many deep passes, but Jalen is the 4th rated passer in the SEC and that's his weak point. Amazing. He was ESPN's mid year SEC MVP. He's a multiple SEC office player of the week, probably the only one.
You realize that all of those tiny flips in the WR sweeps counts as a pass, right? Forget the number of passes caught. You or I could make those passes. The concern about Hurts as a passer are legit when you consider that his completion percentage on passes which travel over 20 yards in the air is below 30 percent.

Hurts' amazing talent as a runner and a leader have allowed him and Alabama to overcome his weakness, but you now face a few defenses that specialize in stopping the run. Hurts may have to hit on those routes. That is why folks are concerned. Not criticizing, but concerned.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

As for this, it might depend on how he continues to progress as the season goes along. But if Alabama wins another championship with Hurts at QB this year, I doubt that you lose any of these guys. They all want to be a part of something special, and where would they have a better chance of that than at Alabama?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

If indeed Tua and Mac Jones make it to campus, I wouldn`t be surprised to see an intense competition at QB. That`s not intended as a knock on Jalen, either. Throw in the real possibility of CLK`s departure and you have the potential for lots of unknowns going into next year. I really don`t know how similar in philosophy CLK and CSS are when it comes to offense. I`ve always assumed somewhat so at least.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.

Jalen is a true freshman. Consider the fact he was playing high school football this time last year. He's only going to get better and his played extremely well to this point. Granted his passing needs to improve but Hurts getting better is a pretty scary thought to our opponents.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Jerry retweed his highlights today. Good lord is he good!
https://twitter.com/PrepForce1/status/792109241087565824
I was struck by two things:

First, his consistently catching the ball with his hands. Seldom brings it into the body.

Second, the speed to consistently outrun defenders who have the angle on him. They just can't bring themselves to take the angle necessary to have even a chance at a tackle.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

You realize that all of those tiny flips in the WR sweeps counts as a pass, right? Forget the number of passes caught. You or I could make those passes. The concern about Hurts as a passer are legit when you consider that his completion percentage on passes which travel over 20 yards in the air is below 30 percent.

Hurts' amazing talent as a runner and a leader have allowed him and Alabama to overcome his weakness, but you now face a few defenses that specialize in stopping the run. Hurts may have to hit on those routes. That is why folks are concerned. Not criticizing, but concerned.
Yes, I know the flips are counted as passes 😊, just like for Jake and Blake and other QBs in the league. I also know, as I stated in the original post that there is room for improvement. I also believe that there "seems" to have not been very much yardage gained on those passes this year. Some website who tracks these things said that Jalen was ?6-22? on passes 20 yards or more downfield in the first 4 games and 8-18 in the last 3 games before the A&M game. that is marked improvement. And if you watch other college games, you see that many other QBs, including top ones, miss most deep passes. I believe Jalen errs on the side of caution and overthrows rather giving the receiver a chance at a 50/50 ball that would increase his completion rate.

My point was that if one looks at the numbers, they are much better than many realize. I certainly agree that downfield passing one of the weaker parts of Bama's offense, but IMO, it is not nearly as bad as many Bama fans contend. The numbers bear that out, even with the little pitches. And assuming the website was correct, he improved from 27% to 44% from the UK game thru the UT game on his downfield passes.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

I know the flips count as passes completed but also the times he throws it away to avoid a bad play count as incomplete passes.
Also, CLK's potentially leaving, being a concern for unknowns on our offense is like saying last year that our defense this year would struggle because of the potential for Coach Kirby Smart to leave for a HC job.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

A lot of this is imagined. His rating has him as 4th in the conference, and that's as a passer not a runner. This is a true freshman who simply hasn't had the reps with these guys as most of the ones ahead of him.

I'll elaborate a little bit. We had a guy drop a couple passes from Hurts and he just doesn't drop passes! Deiter had 92 receptions last year, and one dropped pass. What's the issue? He and Hurts haven't spent as much time together. One of those drops came on a deep pass, which despite an alleged weakness in that regard, Hurts put in the right place for Deiter to catch it, he just didn't. Sticking with drops on deep balls, we've seen a few of those. Considering it's never a high percentage play, a few dropped deep passes go a long way. Same goes with interference, if the guy gets mugged going for the catch, it doesn't matter how well it was thrown.

Now that's just one aspect but I've been watching Hurts and I just don't see a lot of errant passes. I see a lot of near misses. Near misses can be corrected and are not always the fault of the quarterback. Every Alabama quarterback we've seen for years, had at least one full season of practicing with the receivers before he started. That's no small thing. Of course Hurts isn't perfectly synchronized yet, but I think the idea that this isn't something that will improve over time is misguided.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

A lot of this is imagined. His rating has him as 4th in the conference, and that's as a passer not a runner. This is a true freshman who simply hasn't had the reps with these guys as most of the ones ahead of him.

I'll elaborate a little bit. We had a guy drop a couple passes from Hurts and he just doesn't drop passes! Deiter had 92 receptions last year, and one dropped pass. What's the issue? He and Hurts haven't spent as much time together. One of those drops came on a deep pass, which despite an alleged weakness in that regard, Hurts put in the right place for Deiter to catch it, he just didn't. Sticking with drops on deep balls, we've seen a few of those. Considering it's never a high percentage play, a few dropped deep passes go a long way. Same goes with interference, if the guy gets mugged going for the catch, it doesn't matter how well it was thrown.

Now that's just one aspect but I've been watching Hurts and I just don't see a lot of errant passes. I see a lot of near misses. Near misses can be corrected and are not always the fault of the quarterback. Every Alabama quarterback we've seen for years, had at least one full season of practicing with the receivers before he started. That's no small thing. Of course Hurts isn't perfectly synchronized yet, but I think the idea that this isn't something that will improve over time is misguided.
I just read where Calvin has 1 less catch and 28 less yards than he did this time last year. Obviously he did not have many touches in the first couple of games last year since Foster was still healthy. Jalen and Calvin have been working extra after practice to get their timing down and it is only a matter of time before Jalen gets it as you reference Krazy. I think we will actually see the first deep hook-up between the two on Saturday. WR recruits will flock to play with Jalen.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany

"His rating has him as 4th in the conference" and "I just read where Calvin has 1 less catch and 28 less yards than he did this time last year." Yes, but these stats are buoyed by the frequent forward toss and pitch passes that we have executed in the spread. I think it is fair to say we are not very good throwing the ball down the field at his point. I don't blame it all on the QB (although there are certainly things that he has to do better as a passer).

This worries me too with defenses like LSU and Auburn on the horizon because we all know they will sell out to stop our running game; crowding the line of scrimmage to slow down the run, and trying to penetrate gaps along the LOS in order to not let our QB have time to survey the field before throwing. I hope JH and CLK are on top of their game this Saturday!

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

"His rating has him as 4th in the conference" and "I just read where Calvin has 1 less catch and 28 less yards than he did this time last year." Yes, but these stats are buoyed by the frequent forward toss and pitch passes that we have executed in the spread. I think it is fair to say we are not very good throwing the ball down the field at his point. I don't blame it all on the QB (although there are certainly things that he has to do better as a passer).

This worries me too with defenses like LSU and Auburn on the horizon because we all know they will sell out to stop our running game; crowding the line of scrimmage to slow down the run, and trying to penetrate gaps along the LOS in order to not let our QB have time to survey the field before throwing. I hope JH and CLK are on top of their game this Saturday!
You do know the jet sweep and quick screens were a part of our offense last year? Calvin had quite a few of them. I understand your concern about the deep ball but we have dominated everybody we have played so far without it. I don't see it being any different in our remaining games.

As far as penetrating gaps in order to not let our QB have time, if they do this Jalen is going to take off. You have to keep lane integrity and if they are shooting gaps he is going to take off. It's the beauty of having a QB like Jalen. Damned if you, damned if you don't.

HITIDE

1st Team
Jul 6, 2003
TRINITY, AL., USA

You don't have to throw the bomb to take advantage of the loaded box with the passing game. Jalen is pretty proficient with the 0-30 yard pass and has occasionally connected on a longer pass. CLK will come up with a game plan using what Jalen does well. It won't take many completed passes over the LB's to back some out of the box.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

You don't have to throw the bomb to take advantage of the loaded box with the passing game. Jalen is pretty proficient with the 0-30 yard pass and has occasionally connected on a longer pass. CLK will come up with a game plan using what Jalen does well. It won't take many completed passes over the LB's to back some out of the box.
I totally agree HITIDE. JH isn't great "yet" at the long ball but he'***** enough this year to keep defenses honest. Our offense has so many different wrinkles that it isn't enough to just stop the traditional run game any more. Our pro style mixed with zone read gives us a good advantage to move the ball more than in years past. The key to it all is execution of course, everyone from the O line to the WRs and everybody in between all have to do their best to play their role. I'm excited about the offense and knowing that a majority of the offense will be back next year is even more impressive.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

The stat you're going by puts Sean White as a peerless #1... think that's at all indicative of his actual relative throwing ability? I understand people to primarily be concerned with Jalen's raw ability to throw the ball downfield -- i.e. with his accuracy and touch -- when they criticize his passing game. That's something that can get hidden in a lot of stats -- or, at least, if it really is an issue, I'd hope we'd be doing things that would result it in being hidden.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

All good points, guys, and I'm probably worrying unnecessarily. Jalen's passing figures are good--not great--and those numbers are inflated with the toss/pitch passes on the rpo's and jet sweeps we run so much now. Don't misunderstand me, I love the kid and think he's got a high ceiling to improve and develop, I'm just worried if it will happen fast enough as we go on a championship run this season.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.