Obama pays Iran $400 million for prisoners

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
LINK

[FONT=&quot]With the nuclear deal done, prisoners released, the time was right to resolve this dispute as well,” President [/FONT]Barack Obama[FONT=&quot] said at the White House on Jan. 17—without disclosing the $400 million cash payment.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Senior U.S. officials denied any link between the payment and the prisoner exchange. They say the way the various strands came together simultaneously was coincidental, not the result of any quid pro quo.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But U.S. officials also acknowledge that Iranian negotiators on the prisoner exchange said they wanted the cash to show they had gained something tangible.[/FONT]

SMH

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
From what I heard, technically it was releasing payment for a previous deal that had been withheld but I understand how this looks and why it shouldn't have been done in a quid pro quo manner.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
They way I see it, Iran was holding onto the prisoners as long as we held back on the cash. So it was quid pro quo.

Also, it was CASH. Doesn't someone in Iran have a smart phone with a banking app?

“Sometimes the Iranians want cash because it’s so hard for them to access things in the international financial system,” said a senior U.S. official briefed on the January cash delivery. “They know it can take months just to figure out how to wire money from one place to another.”
Really?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
They way I see it, Iran was holding onto the prisoners as long as we held back on the cash. So it was quid pro quo.

Also, it was CASH. Doesn't someone in Iran have a smart phone with a banking app?

Really?
Axis of Evil and all, aren't they pretty much blocked from International banking by UN Resolution?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We gave them back their own money but the timing sure was bad.
True, and we owe them the rest of the 1.2 billion also. People don't want to hear that we're refunding money they paid for armaments we decided not to deliver. With sanctions lifted, there's no legal grounds left not to refund the payments...

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
What are the legal grounds for their support for terrorism or to kidnap/hold US citizens hostage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
True, and we owe them the rest of the 1.2 billion also. People don't want to hear that we're refunding money they paid for armaments we decided not to deliver. With sanctions lifted, there's no legal grounds left not to refund the payments...
Here is one thing we could do with the $1.2 billion.

And as for the Iranian, I would surely support giving them $1.2 billion of military hardware. The Iranian people deserve all the pain and suffering we can inflict on them until they beg for forgiveness.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here is one thing we could do with the $1.2 billion.

And as for the Iranian, I would surely support giving them $1.2 of military hardware. The Iranian people deserve all the pain and suffering we can inflict on them until they beg for forgiveness.
That was abandoned in 1982, barring Congress acting, which it has, inadequately, IMO. However, once the deal was reached, whatever one may think of it, these refunds were not a voluntary matter, period. I know it's great political fodder, as if it were new, but, from a legal standpoint, it was not...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
[/B]

You're too educated to be so bloodthirsty. Vote for Trump then, He'll kill the families and waterboard the rest.
The Iranians are savages. They sponsor acts of terror around the world that kill thousands, including American soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Iranians do not need cash pay-out. The need a swift kick in the pants.
The key point though is that if you don't want an embassy in your country, kick them out. That is how civilized nations disagree. Seizing an embassy is what savages do. Nations cannot engage in diplomacy if savages attack embassies. The Iranians have never apologized for that act of savagery or acknowledged it was wrong.
And Obama adding another "accomplishment" for his "Worst President Ever" resume does not make me want to vote for Trump, but it is another in a long line of Democrat party chicanery.
And the other less than civilized groups in the neighborhood this week are looking at this and thinking to themselves, "Hmm. Grab a bunch of Americans sailors and get a planeload of cash. Hmm."
And the worst pain and suffering I can imagine inflicting on them is to leave the mullahs in charge of their crappy little country.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I have the tenderest emotions for my fellow Americans. I hold out allies in high regard. The Iraqis I fought against I respect.

It just seems like whenever Democrats act, America loses.

And telling me in January they were going to kick me in the groin in July does not make the kick, when it comes, any less painful.
Obama has just been a seven and a half year disaster. It is unavoidable that he wants to take the United States down a few notches.
We need an American Interests Section to represent the United States government in DC.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
It was ransom. Maybe payment has been years in the negotiation process. Maybe the prisoners weren't taken for the express purpose of getting a ransom. But the preponderance of evidence - and especially the timing of it all - indicates that we gave money to Iran and in return they released the prisoners. You can make your own value judgment of whether that was right or wrong, but might as well get the old head out of the Dasht-e Kavir Desert sand.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I really don't like countries that make hostages of diplomats. If you don't want them in your country, expel them, but only savages make hostages of them. I wish the world would teach them that important lesson, in such a way that they will never forget it.

As for the ransom, surely a lawyer who is so clever at thinking up ways to circumvent and thwart the Constitution to injure the interests of Americans can come up with a clever way to circumvent and thwart international law in order to avoid giving $400 million to a country that has and will use the money to kill and injure Americans. If only he had the interests of the United States at heart...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.