Police officer fired for flying a Confederate flag from her house.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Because there are still a few people out there that won't be told what to think. Just not enough of 'em in my opinion.

As Nancy Pelosi would admit, they're probably white males (Republican voters) who "vote against their own economic interests" because they haven't been indoctrinated in our liberal Universities and brow beaten about how much white guilt they should feel and how everything is their fault.
yeah, that was my first thought. hey look, there are some folks that haven't been indoctrinated yet.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I would guess that this woman
1. was proud of being a southerner and put the flag up as a symbol of regional pride, or
2. perhaps her ancestors fought for the Confederacy, or
3. it could mean she wants to see black people shot in church during a Bible study.
I'm betting her intention was closer to 1 or 2, not 3.
It might be worth asking her what she meant by flying that flag.
Instead, the employer skipped right over the step of asking the employee what her intentions were in engaging in that speech and substituted their own interpretation to her speech, an heinous meaning she did not intend and would not endorse, and then terminated her based on that imposed interpretation.
If I get to determine what left-winger means by his speech (regardless of what he says he means) and then punish him for that misinterpretation, then free speech is at an end.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
yep, all of our problems stem from those social justice warriors going around telling real americans not to be jerks

Again, that's just like...your opinion man. It's people exercising their rights to free speech. Anybody that doesn't see it that way is the jerk. If free speech or expression offends somebody, this isn't the country for them. Period.

You, politicians, nor the government gets to decide what people can put on their cars or on their private property. Or tell people what they can think. Or what this means or what that means.

If someone exercising their rights to free speech offends you, best thing you can do is take it up with 'em personally. People will fight for their rights not be trampled on. No matter who it offends. That's the only America I believe in.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Again, that's just like...your opinion man. It's people exercising their rights to free speech. Anybody that doesn't see it that way is the jerk. If free speech or expression offends somebody, this isn't the country for them. Period.

You, politicians, nor the government gets to decide what people can put on their cars or on their private property. Or tell people what they can think. Or what this means or what that means.

If someone exercising their rights to free speech offends you, best thing you can do is take it up with 'em personally. People will fight for their rights not be trampled on. No matter who it offends. That's the only America I believe in.
i fully agree with your right to say offensive things.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
As Nancy Pelosi would admit, they're probably white males (Republican voters) who "vote against their own economic interests" because they haven't been indoctrinated in our liberal Universities and brow beaten about how much white guilt they should feel and how everything is their fault.
Dissing Nancy Pelosi seems so 2014...:biggrin:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Maybe it would be easier for us all if the government would simply publish a list of approved thoughts.
But...but... TW John Randolph might not be on the list.:)

The lady police sergeant said she had no idea that anyone would consider the rebel flag offensive! She is really. in touch is she not?

When a person is employed by the government they give up some freedom of expression.

bamarebel

Scout Team
Feb 5, 2009
I was curious of different people's opinion of the confederate battle flag.
I wasn't born until the 90s so I don't know much about circumstances of the Civil Rights movement aside from the basic history.
I have heard some stories of my families relationship with blacks in the community/that they worked with.
I know that at least one lived and worked on the property, and he even had a second family that lived somewhere else.
There was also a lady that helped in the house. My dad would drive her home some and she refused to sit in the front seat. He visited their church and mentioned how the preacher would lock the doors till there was so much money in the collection plate.
Whenever my family had a cow/pig slaughtered they would each get some/whole if more than one. But they never ate those together??
Neither of them had much so they had a closer relationship.
Was the hate in the cities more or in each area equally and was the hate overplayed?

My view of the flag is it became a symbol of southern pride/culture.
I don't see the flag as a symbol of slavery but I can see where some will it as a symbol of the racism/hatred in the civil rights. I don't think people should view it as that one symbol but realize it does have another meaning.

I don't see the flag as slavery because the civil war started after the south secession over state rights. When the war started, the emancipation became a purpose and a weapon. Once the war ended, the south was oppressed to prevent another war.
I believe the oppression continued a theme of south vs north and the flag eventually became a symbol of the souths struggles.

I also find it interesting that slavery is viewed as pure evil. That if you had slaves or try say it wasn't pure evil you were/are the devil.
Some slaves were treated like livestock. Cruel owners or "wild" slaves (liked violence)
Some were treated as an extended family. Took owners name after the war.
There were multiple views of slavery from the whites and blacks.
Now, slavery in the U.S is distant history and the opinions of the times are portrayed in textbooks.

If the mods don't want to allow this to be brought up, I would still like to see another's opinion.
Just send a pm if that's the case.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
But...but... TW John Randolph might not be on the list.:)
Probably not. John R of R was not one to bow to Leviathan.
The lady police sergeant said she had no idea that anyone would consider the rebel flag offensive! She is really. in touch is she not?
If someone feels a Confederate flag is offensive, then he is free not to display it.
I would say the the flag on her private might be cause for her employer to ask her what that is about. If she says, interpretation 1 or 2 (above), then would that be cause for termination?
What other speech would be grounds for termination?
When a person is employed by the government they give up some freedom of expression.
Really? I understand not giving up some things while on duty or in uniform. Which other protections do government employees give up? The right to protection against unreasonable searches and seizures? Can she put a Hillary campaign sign in her front yard? A Trump sign? Can her employer tell her she can't have an abortion and be retained as an employee? (Oh, wait, nothing trumps that.)
I know the military does & can restrict soldiers showing up at political events in uniform, but there is no prohibition against soldiers having a political sign in the front yard or a soldier's private property. No reasonable person interprets a Hillary (or Trump or Johnson) sign in a soldier's private property as a DoD endorsement of Hillary (or Trump or Johnson) for president.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The threat of losing your job can't take away your right of free speech (whether that's verbal or non verbal "speech"). But it sure can take away your willingness to exercise your right. I didn't see an article linked. But if this officer was truly fired for simply flying a confederate flag on her private property and doesn't win a lawsuit. Then that open up a dangerous can of worms.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.