GA News: OnlineAthens - Kirby Smart on relationship with Nick Saban now, latest on UGA QBs

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
August 9th, 2016 01:22 PM

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart served as Nick Saban’s defensive coordinator for eight of his nine seasons at Alabama and was on Saban’s staff at LSU and with the Miami Dolphins.
So how has that relationship with his mentor been affected by the Maurice Smith transfer saga?
The Alabama defensive back still wants to come to Georgia as a graduate transfer but is being blocked by Saban.
Speaking to SiriusXM radio in an interview with Andy Staples and Chris Carlin that aired on Tuesday, Smart put it this way about his interaction now with Saban: “To be honest with you, since I’ve been here leading this program, I’m concerned with this program and I know he’s concerned with the same. He’s doing what he’s got to do to make the University of Alabama the best. I’m doing what I’ve got to do to make the University of Georgia the best. That’s ultimately two separate entities so there’s not a lot of conversation back and forth.”
Speaking about Smith, who graduated Saturday, Smart called it a “situation that’s kind of fluid and it’s ever-changing so we’re kind of going with the flow.”
Smart also updated where the race for the Georgia starting quarterback job stands.
There remains no timetable to pick the guy.
“As long as it takes,” Smart said. “It’s one of those things where we’re not going to force the issue, we’re going to let the issue force itself. If somebody plays better then somebody will be named the starter. To say that we’re going to know that 100 percent, there’s too much projecting. Everybody wants to know. I want to know. It has not risen its head yet. Nobody has stepped out above the rest.”
Smart said he is not opposed to playing two quarterbacks in the Sept. 3 opener against North Carolina. Greyson Lambert, Brice Ramsey and Jacob Eason are competing.
“I want the guy that gives us the best chance to win,” Smart said. “I can’t say that’s two people, I can’t say that’s one person until these scrimmages and we get through all the installs.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.