GA News: OnlineAthens - 'Guru' Glenn Schumann likes to feel the heat as ILB coach

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
August 15th, 2016 06:13 PM

Glenn Schumann, Georgia’s first-year inside linebackers coach, is only four and a half years older than starter Reggie Carter and three-and-half years older than reserve Ryne Rankin.
Maybe coach Kirby Smart should check on Schumann’s eligibility given the depth issues at the position he coaches.
With leading returning tackler Tim Kimbrough and Georgia going their separate ways last week, there’s little known commodities behind Carter, Natrez Patrick and Roquan Smith.
“It’s a work in progress,” Smart said.
Schumann got some help on Monday when safety Rashad Roundtree practiced for the first time at inside linebacker.
“He looked pretty good,” safety Dominick Sanders said of the 6-foot-1, 204-pound Roundtree. “He’s a bigger body. As a DB, he was one of the big guys back there. Being a linebacker is something he’s got to adjust to, but he’ll improve on that because everyday he’ll be spending time learning how to play linebacker but he’s a big, physical guy.”
Roundtree joins seldom-used senior Johnny O’Neal, freshman Jaleel Laguins, sophomore Juwan Taylor and Rankin, who is known more for his special teams play, at the position.,
“Those guys have really done a good job of learning their assignments,” Smart said. “They’re not ready to play yet. We’ve got to improve in that area.”
“Everybody’s just out there competing and learning up the plays right now,” Carter said. “I have faith in everybody in our room.”
Schumann, who turned 26 on March 29, played high school football at McKinney Boyd in Texas before spending eight years at Alabama in support staff roles.
“When I met him a year ago, I mean, you could see right away that he has a great understanding of the game,” said defensive coordinator Mel Tucker, who coaches Alabama’s secondary last season “This is a great opportunity for him and I think the players respond well to him.
Schumann served as undergraduate analyst to grad assistant to director of player development/associate director of player personnel.
“I think he’s a guru, man,” Smith said. “He’s very smart and knows his stuff like the back of his hand.”
Schumann’s knowledge of the defense has impressed Smith, but having a few more capable bodies at his disposal would probably make him look like an even better coach.
“Coach Schumman’s really smart," Carter said. "He knows everything, ins and outs. He knows the whole defense, the whole defense.”
With temperatures regularly in the 90s this month at practice, Schumann is coaching wearing a long sleeve sweatshirt and sweatpants.
“He said he had to get his workout in,” Smith said.
“Coach Schumann, he says he wants to feel like how we feel in all our pads on,” Carter said. “So he comes out there and he sweats. I mean, it’s not the same. I’ll be like `Dang, coach.’ He’ll be making me hot at times in those sweats, but he does it.”

...READ MORE HERE...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.