Ole Miss Dumps 'Dixie' From Football Games

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Buy a cd. Play Dixie at home all you want. No problem. If Tidewater wants to parade around his house in his confederate underwear while Dixie blasts away, hey, no problem.
You know, Seebell, you can parade around your house buck naked with a black flag with the inscription "There is no god but the Federal government and Abraham is his prophet" for all I care.

As for a bunch of redneck yayhoos at Ole Miss in 1969, that can have no effect on what people did 110 years prior.

People in 1860 could side with the man who wrote (in response to "scientific racism" which alleged that African-Americans were not human beings):

No Christian man, therefore, can give any countenance to speculations which trace the negro to any other parent but Adam. ... Let us not repudiate our kindred with the poor brethren whom He has scattered among us, and entrusted to our guardianship and care. Let us receive them as bone of our bone, and flesh of our flesh. Let us recognize them as having the same Father, the same Redeemer, and the same everlasting destiny.
or the man who wrote this to describe Washington DC:

On the whole, this is a mean God forsaken ____-ridden place. The _____s are certainly the most intelligent part of the population but the _____ smell I cannot bear, yet it is in on and about every thing you see. [The food is] cooked by ______s, until I can smell & taste the _____.”
(I'll leave it to your imagination to fill in the blanks. I won't repeat the man's vulgar language, but he was one of the "great men" of his side of the conflict.)

I'll choose the former rather than the latter.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
You know, Seebell, you can parade around your house buck naked with a black flag with the inscription "There is no god but the Federal government and Abraham is his prophet" for all I care.

That's a good one friend TW!! LMAO:biggrin:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
That's a good one friend TW!! LMAO:biggrin:
I thought you'd like that.

To quote my cousin Tom Sizemore, "We're gonna send you home, wrapped in an American flag with a hunk of cheese in your [backside], Caparzo."

(Not implying any threat. I just thought that line in SPR was funny.)

Last edited:

tidegrandpa

All-American
It really is, I don't see being offended over song that was favorite of Lincoln's. It was the unofficial humming tune for a bunch of poor kids wanting to defend what they thought was a true threat to their way of life. Only a small percentage of the kids fighting families had slaves. Just another failure or achievement of our educational system.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It really is, I don't see being offended over song that was favorite of Lincoln's. It was the unofficial humming tune for a bunch of poor kids wanting to defend what they thought was a true threat to their way of life. Only a small percentage of the kids fighting families had slaves. Just another failure or achievement of our educational system.
I have always been more than a little bit disgusted by the proposition, "Hey, if you will lie about dead soldiers, I'll be your friend." Such a proposition is as disgraceful to the one who offers it as to the one who entertains it.

Maybe Ole Miss no longer deserves its heritage. As Robert Lewis Dabney, said in 1868: “We have no need, sirs, to be ashamed of our [Confederate] dead: Let us see to it that they be not ashamed of us.”

bamarebel

Scout Team
Feb 5, 2009
For a large number of our fellow citizens; Dixie, like the rebel flag, has extremely negative connotations. The war has been over for 150 years. Let it go.
They should let it go. If something happens 150 years ago, why should that flag or Dixie be such a big deal. It definitely doesn't have the same meaning today. If these things bother you, your anger/hate is something you should start to look at.

It's the same way the south was oppressed by the Union after the war. There was anger towards the flag and hardships faced because of the war.

tidegrandpa

All-American
They should let it go. If something happens 150 years ago, why should that flag or Dixie be such a big deal. It definitely doesn't have the same meaning today. If these things bother you, your anger/hate is something you should start to look at.

It's the same way the south was oppressed by the Union after the war. There was anger towards the flag and hardships faced because of the war.
Constitution was 227 years ago, let it go?

bamarebel

Scout Team
Feb 5, 2009
Constitution was 227 years ago, let it go?
I know what you mean, just join everybody else that wants to take away the constitutional rights of this country.

Its crazy to think someone would let go of the foundation of this country or the death of your ancestors. It's called people need to move on, stop trying to look at the past as today and look to the future.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What is wrong with the song, exactly? I've looked at the lyrics and can't quite figure it out.
It depends on what version you play, but many associate it with the Civil War and the 60s it's just another thing that may be innocent to half of the population, but very offensive to the other half.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
There's not much I can say here because anything I do say will likely get this moved to the other board.

But I can't be the only one that finds it ironic they STILL refer to the school as...Ole Miss. CBS does this every telecast. Of course, there hasn't been the level of media PC indoctrination on that particular issue as there have others. And let's be honest - a LOT of the student push back on this has nothing at all to do with race or politics - it's that youthful, 'how dare you impose this on me' mentality.

I probably better quit at this point. On a personal level, I don't care, but let's be honest - a lot of this is imposition of 'my will' in both directions.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Thankyou for your post BamaInMo. I certainly don't consider myself to be morally superior. I understand that Africans sold each other etc etc etc. I was born in the south and grew up an army brat. I have lived in the south most of my life. Dixie is part of my heritage but it has no business being played at an event at a state run university. For a large number of our fellow citizens; Dixie, like the rebel flag, has extremely negative connotations. The war has been over for 150 years. Let it go.
Ah...but that's a TWO-WAY street, seebell.

"You folks shouldn't be flying a symbol from 150 years ago" - being uttered by people angry about something that happened...150 years ago

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
as I like to mention every time these threads come up the Swastika has been around for Centuries and for most of it's time on earth it was used by different religions as a sign of luck, hope and other generally positive things.

Put a Swastika on your house today and absolutely no one will think you are a Jain or Hindu making a statement about auspiciousness of luck

same for a rebel flag, or the song dixie. Like the Swastika they have been co-opted by the most horrible within our midst and no longer mean anything other than as a hate symbol

it is what it is

time to grow up and admit it

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
as I like to mention every time these threads come up the Swastika has been around for Centuries and for most of it's time on earth it was used by different religions as a sign of luck, hope and other generally positive things.

Put a Swastika on your house today and absolutely no one will think you are a Jain or Hindu making a statement about auspiciousness of luck

same for a rebel flag, or the song dixie. Like the Swastika they have been co-opted by the most horrible within our midst and no longer mean anything other than as a hate symbol

it is what it is

time to grow up and admit it
Maybe to some,

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Ah...but that's a TWO-WAY street, seebell.

"You folks shouldn't be flying a symbol from 150 years ago" - being uttered by people angry about something that happened...150 years ago
It is a two way street Selma. But folks are angry because the rebel flag and Dixie are traveling down the street with the Klu Klux Klan today. Not something that happened 150 years ago.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think we need to wave the rebel flag and play Dixie at our games. Should do wonders for recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I think we should all act the same, think the same and look the same. Noncompliance will not be tolerated. Science fiction? Not so sure.

tidegrandpa

All-American
It is a two way street Selma. But folks are angry because the rebel flag and Dixie are traveling down the street with the Klu Klux Klan today. Not something that happened 150 years ago.
When is the last time anyone on this board can honestly say they have seen a KKK fully dressed marching with the stars and bars. I've lived in south all my life and have never laid eyes on one.
I've met a heck of a lot more bigots and racists north of the Mason Dixon than south of it.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
When is the last time anyone on this board can honestly say they have seen a KKK fully dressed marching with the stars and bars. I've lived in south all my life and have never laid eyes on one.
I've met a heck of a lot more bigots and racists north of the Mason Dixon than south of it.
The closest I have ever come to seeing a KKK rally was when there was a group at Jimmy Carter's speech in Tuscumbia in 1980. The Grand Wizard at the time was Don Black. It always amused me that was the name of a KKK leader.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.