Southern Baptist Beliefs

IHateUT

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Knoxville, TN
Bamalaw92 said:
People who live like the devil haven't truly received him. Man cannot obtain salvation through any of his works. "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast." I believe if you have truly accepted God's gift of salvation, then you don't "live like the Devil".

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at too. Anyone who claim to be the type of person that BamaJeff is describing...I don't think that person was ever saved. They didn't come to God with any sincerity. They held a perverted view of salvation. And, if you sin like the devil, without remorse, you'd better check you eternal situtation. Those who are saved don't sin without feeling remorse, guilt, etc.

And, yes, I too believe we can be saved at anytime if it is of sincere belief and acceptance.

BamaJeff

Hall of Fame
Oct 12, 1999
Dothan, AL.
Bamalaw92 said:
People who live like the devil haven't truly received him. Man cannot obtain salvation through any of his works. "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast." I believe if you have truly accepted God's gift of salvation, then you don't "live like the Devil".
I agree. I am saved because of what HE did not because of what I did. But there are times I have to repent because of a bad thought, bad attitude, bad choice of words, or whatever. If you are saved, the Holy Spirit will convict you if you get out of line. When you feel that conviction, it's time to talk to God about it. It's not getting saved again. It's just repenting of something you have done or said that hurts your witness or goes against what God would have you do.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Displaced Bama Fan said:
Let me ask you all if you believe in the "once saved, always saved" concept?
No. This concept has a poor scriptural basis.

For instance:

Matt. 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Bamalaw92 said:
I totally disagree...we can be saved at anytime we truly accept God - even on the death bed. God realizes what is sincere and what is not.
yes. The parable of the Prodigal son.

BamaJeff

Hall of Fame
Oct 12, 1999
Dothan, AL.
IHateUT said:
Those who are saved don't sin without feeling remorse, guilt, etc.
I agree. But if you know you have sinned (and feel conviction, remorse, etc) don't you feel the need to repent of that? Or do you just say, "oh well, I'm covered by God's grace anyway."

IHateUT

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Knoxville, TN
BamaJeff said:
I agree. But if you know you have sinned (and feel conviction, remorse, etc) don't you feel the need to repent of that? Or do you just say, "oh well, I'm covered by God's grace anyway."

No, absolutely not. When I sin, I pray to confess those sins just like you say you do. I don't think like that at all. I am speaking in terms of falling from grace. I don't believe I have fallen from grace if I start "sliding" as you put it. God always pulls His children back to him.

Not confessing your sins, even as a Christian can hurt your relationship with Christ and deter your growth in Him.

May 4, 2003
Larnaca, Cyprus
Displaced Bama Fan said:
I was raised Presbyterian and really struggle with the "once saved, always saved" mentality of Baptists. I don't believe it first and foremost.
Let me ask you all if you believe in the "once saved, always saved" concept?
There are many different paths to the mountain top, my friend. Just because you don't believe it doesn't make it untrue. Belief is between the individual and God, and that's all that really matters. :)

May 4, 2003
Larnaca, Cyprus
One more thought DBF...

It would seem to me that as a Presbyterian, the concept of predestination would make this whole idea of once saved, always saved easy to swallow. I mean you're either saved or not the moment you're are born. Your actions thoughout your life are simply an "indication" of where your soul will utimately reside. ;)

bamabake

Hall of Fame
Jul 25, 2000
waco, tx, USA
BamaJeff said:
No one is saying that the blood of Christ isn't good enough or that there is someone or something that can take away our salvation once we have received Christ. But you have to CHOOSE Christ and only YOU can CHOOSE to be unfaithful after that. It's like I said in a previous post, people cheapen God's grace when they receive him and then live like the devil because they think they will be covered by his grace. How convenient! :rolleyes:

But you have to CHOOSE Christ and only YOU can CHOOSE to be unfaithful after that. It's like I said in a previous post, people cheapen God's grace when they receive him and then live like the devil because they think they will be covered by his grace. How convenient! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

No need to get angry.

II Corinthians 1 22
(He has also appropriated and acknologed us as His by) putting His seal upon us and giving us His (Holy) Spirit in our hearts as the security deposit
and GUARANTEE (of the fullfillment of His promise)

People cheapen God's grace when they receive him and then live like the devil because they think they will be covered by his grace. How convenient!

The bible is in conflict with this statement. You do not understand grace and the law.

again:

Galatians
2 16-21

..For if justification (rightousness, aquital from guilt) comes through (observing the ritual of) the Law then Christ (the Messiah) died groundlessly and to no purpose and in vain. (His death was wholly superfluous).

If the Law can condemn a Christian then it is Grace itself that isnt real and Christ did die in vain. Believing that one can lose his salvation is what cheapens Christ sacrifice and the extension of Gods grace.

More: This is the ultimate. Please look it up before responding.
Hebrews 10: 12-23.

Whearas this One (Christ), after He had offered a single sacrifice for our sins (that shall avail) for all time, sat down at the right hand of God......

For by a single offering HE has FOREVER and COMPLETLY cleansed and PERFECTED those who are consecrated and made holy.

vs 17,
He then goes on to say, And their sins and their lawbreaking I will remember no more.
vs 18
Now where there is ABSOLUTE remission (forgiveness and CANCELLATION of the penalty) of these (sins and lawbreaking) there is no longer any offering made to atone for sin.

One cannot be truly saved and unsaved. For the bible tells us so.

No need to get frustrated. I know people like you are talking about.

Last edited:

BamaJeff

Hall of Fame
Oct 12, 1999
Dothan, AL.
PattheCatinSaudi said:
There are many different paths to the mountain top, my friend. Just because you don't believe it doesn't make it untrue. Belief is between the individual and God, and that's all that really matters. :)
There is ONE path to the mountain top. Jesus is the way. As for what is true and untrue, truth is what it is. An opinion has no baring on truth. The world is round whether you believe it or not. Fire will burn you whethere you believe it or not. Jesus is the only way to God and heaven whether you believe it or not. Anyone who believes they can be saved by some means other than Christ is living in deep deception!

bamabake

Hall of Fame
Jul 25, 2000
waco, tx, USA
BamaJeff said:
I agree. I am saved because of what HE did not because of what I did. But there are times I have to repent because of a bad thought, bad attitude, bad choice of words, or whatever. If you are saved, the Holy Spirit will convict you if you get out of line. When you feel that conviction, it's time to talk to God about it. It's not getting saved again. It's just repenting of something you have done or said that hurts your witness or goes against what God would have you do.

I appreciate you heart here alott. Maybe this can help sort this out for you :)
There are 2 kinds of forgivness, judicial and relational. Judicial in that when you excepted Christ as your savior and confessed your sins, God was true and just and came into your heart and you were Judicially sealed, forever.
Because we sin we can put a loving rift there that only repenting can straighten out. Like the kid who wrecks his dads car. He comes home, eats dinner, dad is quiet, they both know that each other knows.. The next day the son comes to the dad and says, dad I wrecked the car will you forgive me. The dad hugs the son. See the dad never unloved his son however the sons mistake and lack of repentance cause a relationship issue.

I appreciate your comment too about your witness.

PsychoJoe

Suspended
Jul 5, 2002
Pelham, Alabama
We can't be saved anytime we choose. Salvation is God's work, not ours. We cannot resolve to live like the devil in our youth and repent later, because the desire to repent comes from the work of the Holy Spirit. There is nothing within us that craves salvation. It is God drawing us to Him. If God isn't calling you, your own desire won't produce salvation. But if you truly desire repentance then you can be sure that God is calling you.

May 4, 2003
Larnaca, Cyprus
BamaJeff said:
There is ONE path to the mountain top. Jesus is the way. As for what is true and untrue, truth is what it is. An opinion has no baring on truth. The world is round whether you believe it or not. Fire will burn you whethere you believe it or not. Jesus is the only way to God and heaven whether you believe it or not. Anyone who believes they can be saved by some means other than Christ is living in deep deception!
That's your belief and I respect it. I have chosen the path up the mountain that Jesus laid out for me. But I don't believe there aren't other paths, which maybe are more circuitous, slower, steaper, which would finally lead to the top of the mountain.

BamaJeff

Hall of Fame
Oct 12, 1999
Dothan, AL.
bamabake said:
There are 2 kinds of forgivness, judicial and relational. Judicial in that when you excepted Christ as your savior and confessed your sins, God was true and just and came into your heart and you were Judicially sealed, forever.
Because we sin we can put a loving rift there that only repenting can straighten out. Like the kid who wrecks his dads car. He comes home, eats dinner, dad is quiet, they both know that each other knows.. The next day the son comes to the dad and says, dad I wrecked the car will you forgive me. The dad hugs the son. See the dad never unloved his son however the sons mistake and lack of repentance cause a relationship issue.

Good post, friend.

BamaJeff

Hall of Fame
Oct 12, 1999
Dothan, AL.
PattheCatinSaudi said:
That's your belief and I respect it. I have chosen the path up the mountain that Jesus laid out for me. But I don't believe there aren't other paths, which maybe are more circuitous, slower, steaper, which would finally lead to the top of the mountain.
Narrow is THE road, friend.

CrimsonNan

BamaNation Hall of Fame
Oct 19, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Alabama, USA
bamabake said:

Bamabake: All my life I've wondered about the same thing that Displaced questioned. Not to criticize anyone else's posts on this thread, but what you said in this post makes more sense to me than anything I've heard HERE, or anywhere, from anyone, at anytime - period! - including pastors! Thank you. Are YOU are pastor? And, if you don't mind, what denomination are you?

bamabake

Hall of Fame
Jul 25, 2000
waco, tx, USA
CrimsonNan said:
Bamabake: All my life I've wondered about the same thing that Displaced questioned. Not to criticize anyone else's posts on this thread, but what you said in this post makes more sense to me than anything I've heard HERE, or anywhere, from anyone, at anytime - period! - including pastors! Thank you. Are YOU are pastor? And, if you don't mind, what denomination are you?

Nancye,
I am not a pastor. I am not anything special really, except being an adopted child of the living God :). Fact is I read that example years ago. It made so much sense to me I have never forgotten it. I am glad it blesses you as it did me. Now you may one day bless someone with it.
You know the older I get the more I come to know how little I know. You know? I am greatful that God convicted me of my sin. I am greatful that he provided a way for me to not only live eternally with Him, but to feel the forgiveness of that sin. I must confess that the weight off of my life and the joy tht replaced the guilt that I had is overwhelming sometimes. It is the reason I want others to experience this freedom from what Satan tried and is tring to spoil for others.
I have many challenges like we all do. I just have a great peace and I am greatful for it.

Like BamaJeff said, I love Him because He first loved me.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Bamalaw92 said:
God realizes what is sincere and what is not.
And that's the bottom line.

The issue of Salvation through grace and grace alone comes up in a lot of Puritan sermons, even those not quite as terrifying as Jonathan Edwards' "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God."

There's an underlying tension that develops whe you try to reconcile the concept that God and God alone decides who is saved and who isn't with the notion that we can see people living Godly lives. Are good works then meaningless? The Puritans said yes.

At some point they came to a general concensus is that if you are truly saved--that is, if you have truly accepted Christ into your heart and soul, then God's grace will steer you down a righteous path. You will of course, stumble along the way, but by and large, you'll turn out OK.

I wonder to what extent this thread grows in the shade of one Richard Scrushy?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.