Southern Baptist Beliefs

BigTex

All-SEC
Sep 19, 2002
Spring, Texas
Displaced Bama Fan said:
I was raised Presbyterian and really struggle with the "once saved, always saved" mentality of Baptists. I don't believe it first and foremost.

Let me ask you all if you believe in the "once saved, always saved" concept?

If so, why?

Let me throw a scenario at you while you ponder this:

A little boy was "saved" at age 8...he grows up to be a greedy slum lord, whore mongering, cheating husband who routinely beats his wife or better yet, a somewhat crooked/greedy politician. Is he still going to heaven when he dies if he doesn't repent?

Let me know what you think.
I dont believe he was saved to begin with.

Bamalaw92

Banned
Dec 11, 2003
Montgomery
ed4tide4u2 said:
Going 5 years without an SEC Championship with only one winning season in between. Now that's Purgatory!
Friend, that may be purgatory for you, but for someone like me who fondly remembers the 60's and 70's, and the renewed hope under Bebes, it's been pure he!!.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
1. Show me how I can crawl back into my mother's womb and undo my natural birth. It can't be done. Oh, I can kill myself, or kill my mother.....but neither cancels out my natural birth. The Spiritual Birth, being far more important (eternal) is the same way. I cannot crawl back into the Holy Ghost's womb and undo my Spiritual Birth. Impossible.

2. The tares grow with the wheat and we should not attempt to uproot them. He knows all things, including those who belong to Him and those who claim the belong to Him.

3. Salvation changed me. I am no longer the same person I was. He didn't come to change the world, He came and hung on the cross to change us.

4. If Paul (who wrote the majority of the N.T.) and who was beaten, stoned, imprisoned, went hungry and cold, who was persecuted and shunned have had an 'unforgiven' sin and be burning in Hell right now? I think not. Paul's life was changed also and he was never the same Saul after his meeting with Christ.

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004
Bamalaw92 said:
Friend, that may be purgatory for you, but for someone like me who fondly remembers the 60's and 70's, and the renewed hope under Bebes, it's been pure he!!.

LOL...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Bamalaw92 said:
no kidding. One that took thinks too seriously, after having lived through that era, would likely be tossing down Prozac tablet like movie popcorn.

ed4tide4u2

1st Team
Sep 25, 2000
mobile,al.
Bamalaw92 said:
I hear ya Bamalaw92. I cried when we lost the '64 Orange Bowl to Texas. Lately I have been catatonic! TexasBama, Prozac stopped working after the "clapper"! Then again, I have an excellent chance and a marvelous opportunity to get worse!

Last edited:

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
bamabake said:
It is rooted in catholic tradition not Gods word.
Much like the "Sinner's Prayer" in Baptist tradition - a construct of Bill Bright & Billy Graham (don't quote me an out-of-context Romans 10:9). Sorry friend. You threw down first. :frown:

first, I think purgatory comes from an actual thing. Previous to Christ, there was a place called Hades. Now some think Hades and Hell are the same. Hades was the place of the dead.....the big sleep, whatever. It was where dead people went. Enter Christ. Death , spiritually speaking, is gone. You are either going to Heaven or Hell.....no if's, and's , or but's . Where do you think Moses or King David went upon dying..... Hades, till Jesus went and got them. They wouldn't have been allowed into God's presence without the shed blood of Christ. Neither were they (and possibly others) condemed to Hell due to the fact that they had placed their faith in the fact that God would one day redeem His people.

Does purgatory still exist ? Nope.He told the theif on the cross "Today you will be with me in paradise" so we know when we die we aren't gonna wait around for Armageddon in the dirt.....when we die, Jesus comes and gathers our souls unto himself (though we do await our resurected bodies...i.e. The dead in Christ shall rise) or swift judgement and Hell.

Ya know , this could become quite the long thread just chocked full of theological discussions, but what we really need to focus on is this one thing - Without salvation through Jesus Christ, we're doomed to Hell - period. You can have all kinds of docturnal differences (like sprinkling or dunking) but the one common irrefutable fact remains throughout God's church - WE NEED JESUS. Maybe if "The Church" focused more on leading lost souls to Christ and less about differing traditions and styles and nit-picky stuff that Jesus probably watches us argue over and thinks " DUDES.....GET OVER IT !!!" , maybe then we'd worry less about what's on people's signs, and more abouit what's in there hearts.

p.s. I play a Jackson electric in a praise band that has covered Bread, Kansas, The Eagles, Alabama, and Lynyrd Skynyrd...... and it's Baptist. Maybe we are on the road to disolving these stupid denominational lines after all. :)

bamafan in TX

Scout Team
Jul 16, 2004
A quick 2 cents

Someone mentioned earlier about a deathbed conversion. Jesus actually mentions that in a parable about hiring workers at different hours of the day, but all of them receive the same amount. If the person is truly repentant on their deathbed, then why should we complain that we have a brother/sister in heaven??? If being a Christian means 'living the way God wants us to' we should be more excited about the years we get to live that way, then worry about an elderly person who converted at the last minute.
The only problem with those last minute conversions is what Edwards preached in his Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God. We have no control over when we die, so it's obviously not the best idea in the world to try and wait until you're in the deathbed.

bamabake

Hall of Fame
Jul 25, 2000
waco, tx, USA
bamafan in TX said:
Someone mentioned earlier about a deathbed conversion. Jesus actually mentions that in a parable about hiring workers at different hours of the day, but all of them receive the same amount. If the person is truly repentant on their deathbed, then why should we complain that we have a brother/sister in heaven??? If being a Christian means 'living the way God wants us to' we should be more excited about the years we get to live that way, then worry about an elderly person who converted at the last minute.
The only problem with those last minute conversions is what Edwards preached in his Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God. We have no control over when we die, so it's obviously not the best idea in the world to try and wait until you're in the deathbed.
Jesus told the criminal next to him that he would be in paradise with Him. No Pope, no baptisim, no good works.. He simply recognized Jesus as Lord and himself as a sinner. Salvation is a free gift. Not something to be earned or worked off in purgatory. I imagine no one prayed for this soon to be dead mans salvation. Jesus was enough. In Gods word He says the he is not a respector of persons. In other words He did not make an exception for this one man.

cheers

Last edited:

IHateUT

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Knoxville, TN
TexasBama said:
(don't quote me an out-of-context Romans 10:9).

Uuuuhhh....what would be the correct context?

For those who don't recall it off the top of their heads:

8But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,”[d] that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: 9That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

bamabake

Hall of Fame
Jul 25, 2000
waco, tx, USA
IHateUT said:
Uuuuhhh....what would be the correct context?

For those who don't recall it off the top of their heads:

8But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,”[d] that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: 9That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Here is how it reads from the amplified bible:

8)But what does it say? The Word ( Gods message in Christ) is near you, on your lips and in your heart; that is, the Word (the message, the basis and object) of faith whichwe preach.
9)Because if you acknowledge and confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and in your heart believe ( adhere to , trust in, and rely on the truth) that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
This is one of those "great debates" that, in the grand scheme of things, means absolutely flippin' nothing at all.

The bottom line is simply that, at the moment of your death, you are either right with God or you aren't and, at that point, nothing else matters - especially the specific time along this temporal existence when your soul was technically saved.

Frederick Danker used to say that "the worst thing to ever happen to the Bible is Bible scholars." And I wholeheartedly agree. And, for the record, I can read Koine Greek.

This is simply one of those issues where people are always going to see what they want to see. Verses that in some way might agree or are at best ambiguous appear to your eyes to be incontrovertible proof and any and all verses that might disagree are easily explained away.

You can show examples in scripture of those who were added to the number or to the kingdom who were then later instructed that they needed to repent lest they perish, which would seem to any on the opposing side of Calvin's theory of Perseverance to fly directly in the face of such belief. To those devout in their belief in Calvin's theory of Perseverance, however, this simply means that either those who were counted as having been added were done so in error, assumingly human, or else that the writer was speaking to a group, some of which were added and some of which were not and only the nots were in need of repentance.

Personally, I find Calvin's entire TULIP to be nothing more than a gross misunderstanding predicated upon massive over-complication compounded by poor texts. When it takes you over twice as many words in English as are in the entire Bible to explain your beliefs about three specific topics - all of which are apparently explained to God's satisfaction within the Bible - then it's obvious that you are massively over-complicating the topics and are almost certainly grasping at straws.

Salvation is so simple you need help to misunderstand it.

1. Hear the Word.
2. Believe the Word.
3. Obey the Word.

If you want to be granted the gift of Salvation, it's that simple. It's a gift, which means it can't be earned. It's a conditional gift, though, requiring obedience. Obedience requires action on your part. So, while you have to "work" for it, it's not of works and you can never earn it. That, in fact, is the beauty of it. You have to strive to earn it, knowing you will fail. That's the result of our human condition - of being sinners. In the end, though, it doesn't matter that we are always going to fail because the blood of Christ hides our failure from God's eyes and makes us appear Holy to Him - the blood that Christ gifts to those who follow Him.

Seek, believe, obey, follow - there's a reason those words are all "action" words and why they're usually in a continuous tense when used in scripture.

In my opinion, there's really no such thing as "getting saved" as Salvation is not an event but rather a condition or a state of being.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.