Video Released in Terence Crutcher’s Killing by Tulsa Police

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
On the surface...this is BS...the guy had his arms raised above his head....four cops there....and they shoot this guy? Unreal....:rolleyes:

The Police Department in Tulsa, Okla., released video on Monday of an encounter during which, the authorities said, a white police officer fatally shot an unarmed black man who could be seen raising his hands above his head.

The department opened a criminal investigation into the shooting and said the Tulsa County district attorney, Steve Kunzweiler, would review its findings. The federal Justice Department opened a separate civil rights investigation.
During the encounter, which took place around 7:40 p.m. Friday, Terence Crutcher, 40, was shot once and killed by Betty Shelby, a Tulsa police officer since 2011, after the police received reports of an abandoned vehicle blocking a road, the department said.

Video recorded by a police helicopter and a patrol car’s dashboard camera shows Mr. Crutcher raising his hands, walking toward a car and leaning against it. He was then Tasered by one officer, Tyler Turnbough, and fatally shot by Officer Shelby, the department said, though the view from both cameras is obstructed in the moments before those actions.

Tulsa’s police chief, Chuck Jordan, said at a news conference Monday that Mr. Crutcher was unarmed and did not have a weapon in his vehicle. Shane Tuell, a police spokesman, said Officer Shelby gave a statement to homicide detectives on Monday morning. She is on paid administrative leave, the department said.
In an interview, Officer Shelby’s lawyer, Scott Wood, said the officer had thought that Mr. Crutcher had a weapon. Mr. Wood said Mr. Crutcher had acted erratically, refused to comply with several orders, tried to put his hand in his pocket and reached inside his car window before he was shot.
Chief Jordan said Officer Shelby had encountered Mr. Crutcher and his vehicle while en route to another call and requested backup because she was “not having cooperation” from him. Officer Turnbough and his partner responded to Officer Shelby’s request for backup. It was the dashboard camera in their patrol car that recorded the shooting.

Last edited:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
The unseen portion is critical, it's early to call this justified/unjustified just yet.

Allowing Mr. Crutcher to remain on the ground for two minutes before his condition was checked may be problematic, regardless of the explanation. We'll see.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
When he goes to the side of the vehicle, he lowers his hands and appears to be trying to reach into his pocket. It's not clear what he does after that (and before he is shot and falls to the ground). It's also not clear why he moved from behind the vehicle.

The way the cops moved back was weird. Never seen anything like that.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
You guys jumping to conclusions slay me. Haven't you learned anything by now? If you look at the video you can easily see him reaching toward his pants at least once before he is shot. If he also reaches into the car window as reported, what do you expect them to do? What would you have done, wait until he pulls a gun out and shoots you first? I'd bet a month's pay they were telling him to stop, get on the ground, etc. They had no idea he wasn't armed. Seriously, how would you have handled the situation differently?

miggy402

1st Team
Aug 23, 2009
Waycross, GA
The man's car broke down in the middle of the road. Why was he considered a threat? Let's be real here. This isn't happening to white people. I guess Special K is right. He should have "learned" that if you are black, the only acceptable compliance is to lay face down on the ground and wait to be handcuffed.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
The man's car broke down in the middle of the road. Why was he considered a threat? Let's be real here. This isn't happening to white people. I guess Special K is right. He should have "learned" that if you are black, the only acceptable compliance is to lay face down on the ground and wait to be handcuffed.
Ridiculous response. I don't know if he was a threat or not and neither do you. And despite your ludicrous "this isn't happening to white people" statement, there is at least one study - done by a black man no less - that suggests that white people are shot by cops at a higher rate than black people. Look I'm not here to argue whether racial bias exists or not - I simply commented on this one incident and what is apparent by looking at the video and the fact that some jumped to probably incorrect conclusions despite what was obvious to anyone with functional eyeballs.

I don't care if you're black, red, white, green, purple or whatever. The time to show the cops you're within your rights not to comply is not when they have guns drawn on you (after they've already tased you no less), and it is most certainly not the time to go fiddling around in your pocket or reaching into your vehicle. Like my dad told me when I was learning to drive, "Son, you might have the right of way at a 4-way stop, but that won't keep you from getting killed by the guy who thinks the same thing." Do what the cops tell you to do, stay alive, then fight it out in court if they violated your rights.

And you also didn't answer my question. What you have done differently? You're the cop, this guy is not complying, you tell him to stop, get down, etc. and then he reaches for his pocket or inside his car window. What would you do? Quick, you have about 1 second to decide and your life depends on your decision. What's it going to be?

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
They may have cameras on and are keeping the scene in the frame.
I could see it if one of them did it, but how many cameras do you need on the guy? All three of them backing up shoulder to shoulder in some kind of formation looks really odd.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Well, we already know laying face up on the ground won't keep you from being shot. I guess face down is the key.

More of narrative talk with this. Liberals are going to eat this one up too.

However, this is terrible and something should happen to the officers. What?! I'm not sure. You cannot let him walk back to his vehicle. It's a shame on both ends. I really don't know what to think or believe anymore. Don't know if the truth will ever be told!

Sent from my wife's old iPhone 6 until I get my 7+ using Tapatalk

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I could see it if one of them did it, but how many cameras do you need on the guy? All three of them backing up shoulder to shoulder in some kind of formation looks really odd.
If they're just following their safety and accountability training, it doesn't matter.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I'm still unclear as to how the whole thing unfolded from the time the cops got on scene. For instance: Why are his hands above his head and why do they need to be? Is the guy disoriented? What is the timing of the taser vs the shooting and what exactly prompted either since it's not entirely clear on video I've seen? Still some unanswered questions in my mind that could go either way.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Just to be clear, I'm not saying the cops did everything right. But to jump to the conclusion that they just shot this guy because he was black is a heck of a stretch. We don't see what happened to lead them to draw weapons on the guy. Maybe they weren't justified in doing that, maybe they were, we just don't know. But once the situation reached that stage, the only thing to do is comply with their commands. Anything else and you are taking a chance on getting shot whatever color you are (and again, some evidence says more likely if you're white).

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I'm still unclear as to how the whole thing unfolded from the time the cops got on scene. For instance: Why are his hands above his head and why do they need to be? Is the guy disoriented? What is the timing of the taser vs the shooting and what exactly prompted either since it's not entirely clear on video I've seen? Still some unanswered questions in my mind that could go either way.
Agree, a lot still to be answered. I did read one report just a minute ago that claims the tasering and shooting happened simultaneously. In other words, 2 cops basically reacted to his movements the same way - difference is one had a taser drawn and the other drew her handgun.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.