GA News: OnlineAthens - After 'crazy accident,' UGA RB Sony Michel showing patience getting ba

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
September 21st, 2016 06:08 PM

Measured by his own body of work, running back Sony Michel’s production Saturday in Georgia’s win at Missouri was modest: nine carries for 37 yards and three catches for 19.
It was another step forward from a broken left forearm sustained in what he called a “crazy accident” July 3 while out riding an ATV with friends, but still a long way away from the 1,161 rushing yards and eight touchdowns he put up last season.
A week earlier, the junior from Florida made his season debut against Nicholls and had five touches.
Michel said Wednesday he remains “very patient” with his progress.
“It’s not my first time being hurt or being in any sort of situation,” said Michel, who has 12 carries for 40 yards this season. “I’m kind of used to it. A player’s got to mature to be able to handle going through times like this.”
After the Missouri game and again Wednesday, Michel didn’t want to speak much about the accident.
“It’s not really something a person wants to think about, keep replaying in their minds,” he said.
Of riding ATVs, he said “That wasn’t a hobby. It was a one-time thing, a weekend thing. That’s just something I left in the past and kind of moved forward from.”
The injury occurred when he was with friends and made some “bad decisions. I don’t want to say bad decisions, but bad things just happened.”
Michel, who entered the season with 1,571 yards rushing and 376 receiving with 17 total touchdowns, missed the opener against North Carolina even though he dressed out and warmed up.
“I felt good to play,” Michel said. “(Doctors) told me I had to sit out and coach (Kirby) Smart told me I couldn’t play. I had to be that leader on the sideline and keep my guys up throughout the game.”
Michel said he didn’t know the extent of his injury at first. “I didn’t know. I didn’t know what happened.”
It wasn’t the kind of news offensive coordinator Jim Chaney wanted to hear during a holiday weekend.
“I just got off the river fly fishing when I got the news and I changed to a wet fly that afternoon when I went out to try to catch some better trout,” Chaney said last month. “What am I going to do about it? I can't do nothing about injuries that take place with kids. … I love the kid. I love his spirit. I love his attitude. Things happen, man, they happen.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.