A good reminder: The American Form Of Government

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I applaud the sentiment.
One and a half of the two major parties hold in abject contempt the Constitution they swear to uphold.
I do not hold out much hope for the republic.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
That oligarchy doesn't sound very good.

I prefer a republic.

Great video and posted at a good time of the year.

Thanks, CA!
The Federal government is a guy you gave a special power of attorney to empowering him to handle a few specified functions, and specified that you have delegated nothing else. He immediately starts trying to expand his powers beyond those few specified powers, and argues with you over whether or not you had delegated the powers in question. (Seriously, what person tolerates his attorney arguing over the limits of a power of attorney?)
Then, you finally intervene and tell him, "Hey, man, look, I never authorized you to do anything but these specific powers; I'm revoking the power of attorney," he takes an iron pipe and beats you unconscious. You wake up in the hospital, realize you have been beaten so badly your leg had to be amputated, and your attorney screams at you, "If you had not been disloyal to me, this wouldn't have happened. You (the principal) have betrayed me the attorney. The personal injury is all your fault, you traitor."

Can a people delegate certain limited specified powers to a government and enforce those limits? The US example, unfortunately, proves this is not the case. Like Frankenstein's monster, once created, it acknowledges no external restraint and will murder its creators if need be.
Maybe my Democrat friend is right. The best a people can do is select the most benevolent dictator they can find and then live with the consequences, hoping they are not too bad. Maybe, given human nature, that is really as good as it gets.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Can a people delegate certain limited specified powers to a government and enforce those limits?
Not with an unchecked judiciary....which is what we have.

Surely there is a balance between (1) a judge forever looking over his shoulder, slave to the prevailing zeitgeist, always worried about the next election, and (2) a mistake in the confirmation process being enshrined for as long as God gives it breath.

tidegrandpa

All-American
The Federal government is a guy you gave a special power of attorney to empowering him to handle a few specified functions, and specified that you have delegated nothing else. He immediately starts trying to expand his powers beyond those few specified powers, and argues with you over whether or not you had delegated the powers in question. (Seriously, what person tolerates his attorney arguing over the limits of a power of attorney?)
Then, you finally intervene and tell him, "Hey, man, look, I never authorized you to do anything but these specific powers; I'm revoking the power of attorney," he takes an iron pipe and beats you unconscious. You wake up in the hospital, realize you have been beaten so badly your leg had to be amputated, and your attorney screams at you, "If you had not been disloyal to me, this wouldn't have happened. You (the principal) have betrayed me the attorney. The personal injury is all your fault, you traitor."

Can a people delegate certain limited specified powers to a government and enforce those limits? The US example, unfortunately, proves this is not the case. Like Frankenstein's monster, once created, it acknowledges no external restraint and will murder its creators if need be.
Maybe my Democrat friend is right. The best a people can do is select the most benevolent dictator they can find and then live with the consequences, hoping they are not too bad. Maybe, given human nature, that is really as good as it gets.
TW, I sure respect your experience and insight from your posts, but damn I hope you're wrong.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
TW, I sure respect your experience and insight from your posts, but damn I hope you're wrong.
I hope I am as well. In this climate, when any officeholder at the Federal level insists that we respect the limits the Constitution places on the authority of the general government, and that person is derisively labelled "obstructionist" and a member of the "do nothing" crowd, people applaud. When an officeholder runs roughshod over those limits, people are pleased.
Doesn't bode well for the republic.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
In the US, the growth and power of the federal government increases a bit with every new generation with the addition of the major leap that took place in the 1860's and a big step maybe in the 1930's. Each new generation lives under more government and as a whole, are fine with and come to expect additional government during their lifetime.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Not with an unchecked judiciary....which is what we have.
True. When a Federal judge declares the Virginia Constitution unconstitutional, and quotes the Declaration of Independence to justify it, we have a problem. That is the grossest disloyalty and insubordination by a public servant. She should have been impeached and removed (and if possible, prosecuted) before the echoes faded from her gavel.
Under the Confederate Constitution, she could have been impeached by the Virginia General Assembly, which might have given her pause before she ran roughshod over the will of the people of the Commonwealth.
Confederate Constitution said:
Any judicial or other Federal officer, resident and acting solely within the limits of any State, may be impeached by a vote of two-thirds of both branches of the Legislature thereof.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
In the US, the growth and power of the federal government increases a bit with every new generation with the addition of the major leap that took place in the 1860's and a big step maybe in the 1930's. Each new generation lives under more government and as a whole, are fine with and come to expect additional government during their lifetime.
Thomas Jefferson said:
"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yeild, and government to gain ground."
Jefferson foresaw this.
This trend will continue until the general government has promised so much to so many people it cannot keep any promise to anybody, then the people are going to be a bit cross.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.