2016-2017 Coaching Carousel

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
He doesn't have the persona imo to command the respect of NFL players and I don't think he would really excel at coaching a southern college program save somewhere like Texas or baylor. Some guys just seem to fit better in different regions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am beginning to think even if Orgeron loses a close game to Alabama but beats UF and TAMU at home and Arkansas in Fayetteville he has a very good chance of getting the HC job. That's not to say they don't make a run at Fisher, but IMO he stays in Tallahassee. Mora has not be impressive during his UCLA stint and would be no better hire than Orgeron.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Any shot Ogre-RON had of the LSU job went up in flames November 5th in Death Valley. A lot of fans came away from that game talking about how the offense looked A LOT like the one the previous coach ran. Also there were one or two mishaps in the second half on clock management. He's now just coaching out the year keeping the seat warm for the next permanent HC.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Any shot Ogre-RON had of the LSU job went up in flames November 5th in Death Valley. A lot of fans came away from that game talking about how the offense looked A LOT like the one the previous coach ran. Also there were one or two mishaps in the second half on clock management. He's now just coaching out the year keeping the seat warm for the next permanent HC.
I think you are right Buzz, the offense looked stuck in neutral. What replacement names are you hearing over your way and in your opinion which ones have any credence?

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm surprised the didn't at least talk to Coach Kiffin. I think Tedford hasn't coached since he was let go at Cal. He should fit well at Fresno State.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think you are right Buzz, the offense looked stuck in neutral. What replacement names are you hearing over your way and in your opinion which ones have any credence?
I've heard some who still want Tom Herman from Houston. I've been told there are some who have backed off Herman due to the unexpected losses to inferior teams and want a more established "proven winner". But Tom Herman WILL get a call (if he hasn't already) and extended an interview opportunity. You've got names still being thrown around like Jimbo, but not as giddy as it was last season. One of the guys I talk to really wants LSU to entertain going after Dabo Sweeney. And believe it or not there is still support for Orgeron. Not sure how big of a circle this support is coming from. But you still have support out there for him. Hugh Freeze's name has popped up but not sure how serious of a look he would actually get. I would be shocked if the next HC ISN'T offensive minded. LSU fans are sick to death of having an offense that has the playbook of a middle school football team. That is why I would be shocked if their next coach isn't REALLY offensive minded. One name that I've only heard one time and after last night is probably no longer an option. But Larry Fedora at North Carolina may get a look or possibly a "glance". LOL! They lost to Duke last night. Fedora is a very good offensive mind and though might not fit the "proven winner" box on the check list. Considering the schools he's coached at (Southern Miss & UNC) I wouldn't completely judge him by his record. He maybe someone LSU could take his talent for offense and match it with the talent that is at LSU and have something good happen. But again, that's a name that is probably a long shot. But I have heard his name mentioned.

(Disclosure: I know a handful of what I would call "mid level boosters" who contribute to the LSU program. I do not claim to have inside knowledge directly from the AD or any staff member of LSU. The information I get is from at least third hand parties. These "sources" have been right and have been wrong in the past about all things LSU. So I'm not claiming to have information from "the horses mouth". I'm just sharing information I have from people a lot closer to and more familiar with the Tiger program than I am.)

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I actually think LSU might have a shot at Tom Herman, but it will hinge on what happens the rest of the season at Texas IMO. If the horns can beat West Virginia and/or TCU, I think Charlie Strong stays.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I actually think LSU might have a shot at Tom Herman, but it will hinge on what happens the rest of the season at Texas IMO. If the horns can beat West Virginia and/or TCU, I think Charlie Strong stays.
I think Strong is gone after the season, regardless. I don't think he's established or shown a strong enough trajectory of improvement year over year for the Texas millionaires to be patient one more year. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve another year. Just saying he won't be given another year. Not with Tom Herman sitting there for the potential taking.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I said this in another thread, but IMO Dan Mullen would be worth an interview. He is an offensive minded coach, has SEC experience, knows the SEC recruiting landscape and has had success at a school that historically has had very little success. He developed Tebow and Prescott which were pretty good QBs. It's interesting to speculate what he could do with LSU's talent and resources.

**Full disclosure: I am not Dan Mullen, his agent or dabaxter :wink:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I said this in another thread, but IMO Dan Mullen would be worth an interview. He is an offensive minded coach, has SEC experience, knows the SEC recruiting landscape and has had success at a school that historically has had very little success. He developed Tebow and Prescott which were pretty good QBs. It's interesting to speculate what he could do with LSU's talent and resources.

I would rather not see CDM at LSU. He could prove to be a difficult out for us with the recruits that would be available in Loosy-anna.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Haven't heard Mullen's name thrown around but would be a great hire in my opinion. Many times it's a name never mentioned (among the rumor mills) that gets hired.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am not sure if Mullen wants to leave MSU. I have seen no indication that he has ever lobbied for another job. OTOH, if he wants to "move up the coaching ladder" he will have to look at Starkville in the rear view mirror at some point. At this point he might want to leave the SEC and there maybe some decent jobs in other conferences coming available this year or next.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.