2016-2017 Coaching Carousel

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Seems like the closest thing we have to a consensus for a great "off the radar" choice would be Mullen. I too would not want to have to face him yearly in purple. I think Orgeron has done a pretty good job turning things around, and that was not an easy game for us by any means. The offense was miserable, but a lot of that is on our D, too. I think if they strike out on Fisher/Swinney/Herman, then I'd probably interview Fleck, Orgeron, and Mullen.

And I'd hope that they hire Holgorson... or Chizik if we're expanding into fantasyland. ;-)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Yeah, Strong needs to dust off his resume and have his agent start making phone calls. Suspect he will not land another HC job and will do well to get a DC job.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Strong took a job that is very difficult to handle for a young hc still learning how to build his program. Texas was never gonna accept anything less than quick results, neither would we or any major program. Strong will get another hc job if Texas cuts him loose.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I am not sure if Mullen wants to leave MSU. I have seen no indication that he has ever lobbied for another job. OTOH, if he wants to "move up the coaching ladder" he will have to look at Starkville in the rear view mirror at some point. At this point he might want to leave the SEC and there maybe some decent jobs in other conferences coming available this year or next.
Didn't Mullen recently sign with Jimmy Sexton? That can't be because he is devoted to StarkVegas. He's a very good coach. Someone will eventually snatch him away if they're paying attention.

And I wouldn't be afraid of him in Baton Rouge. Beat the best to be the best IMO.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
ESPN reporting Butch Davis is finalizing a deal to become the new Florida International coach.
Interesting one. Huge fall for him, but a great hire for them, assuming the game hasn't passed him by in his time away.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Interesting one. Huge fall for him, but a great hire for them, assuming the game hasn't passed him by in his time away.
This is a classic case of a G5 school hiring an older guy with a name who is bored and looking for something to do until he retires.

He will be 65 Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Haven't heard Mullen's name thrown around but would be a great hire in my opinion. Many times it's a name never mentioned (among the rumor mills) that gets hired.
Everything I am hearing is that it's really a two man race between Jimbo and Orgeron, in that order.

The commissioner is not in favor of coaches going intraconference for a new job. Sankey is so mad at LSU right now that he would do all he can to stop Mullen or Freeze coming to LSU if they were even options, which I am doubtful they are.

It's eerily quiet, save for Guice's mouth and talk radio.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
This is a classic case of a G5 school hiring an older guy with a name who is bored and looking for something to do until he retires.

He will be 65 Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So what should they do, find the next great young up and comer who will rapidly build them to be sneakily competitive and then, somewhat more slowly, guide them to the heights of the sport until retiring there, 30 years down the line, he a legend, and mighty FIU a premier program, that, as far as anyone can remember, was always that way? Young, not-particularly-talented-but-yet-to-have-proven-that-they-shouldn't-be-the-head-guy coaches and older, in-their-twilight-and/or-slightly-tarnished guys are kind of the candidate pool for schools like FIU. Might as well take the opportunity to grab one of the latter when he's as talented as Davis is (or was).

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Everything I am hearing is that it's really a two man race between Jimbo and Orgeron, in that order.

The commissioner is not in favor of coaches going intraconference for a new job. Sankey is so mad at LSU right now that he would do all he can to stop Mullen or Freeze coming to LSU if they were even options, which I am doubtful they are.

With the show cause that is coming soon to Freeze, he won't be going anywhere much less LSU.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Why would Jimbo Fisher leave Florida State for the SEC meat grinder at LSU?????

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
To get his hands on all that homegrown talent. Jimbo may be going by the coaching actuarial chart, and figuring that he'd have two, maybe three games vs. Saban and 'Bama before St. Nick's...canonization (retirement). Even 'Who fanatics would give him (Jimbo) that as a grace period.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
This. I think with Watson leaving Clemson and the other FL schools struggling, he may decide to stay in Tallahassee. He may go to LSU but they will have to spend a lot to get him. It will be harder to write that check with many in the fan base supporting a much cheaper option in CEO (should he win out).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.