The World Just Hit This Disturbing Climate Change Metric

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
http://www.urbansplatter.com/2014/05/al-gores-house-environmental-hypocrisy/

That still pales in comparison to how much CO2 emissions come from Al Gore's 17 houses
He could live in a stone hut with no electricity and ride a bike everywhere and y'all would still call him a hypocrite because the plastic on the bike is a petroleum product.

Gore's Law: As an online climate change debate grows longer, the probability that denialist arguments will descend into attacks on Al Gore approaches 1.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He could live in a stone hut with no electricity and ride a bike everywhere and y'all would still call him a hypocrite because the plastic on the bike is a petroleum product.

Gore's Law: As an online climate change debate grows longer, the probability that denialist arguments will descend into attacks on Al Gore approaches 1.
Yep...

Cajun's Law: Anytime anyone brings up a Global Warming argument. Use Al Gore's hypocrisy to help advance the awareness that Climate Change is nothing but a Liberals effort at raising taxes, scaring millenials, and giving AuDub a reason to stay on tidefans......

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Well it's not too late to attempt some mitigation. Obama's clean power plan is a good start. I expect it to lose in court though. Too bad what Bamaro said a few posts ago happens to be true and we can't rely on the senate and house to do anything.
pla·ce·bo
pləˈsēbō/
noun

• a harmless pill, medicine, or procedure prescribed more for the psychological benefit to the patient than for any physiological effect.
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]"his Aunt Beatrice had been kept alive on sympathy and placebos for thirty years"[/COLOR]

• a substance that has no therapeutic effect, used as a control in testing new drugs.

• a measure designed merely to calm or please someone.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

The ever moving target of climate change. And the precise reason in my view we shouldn't spend a single dime on a problem y'all have now had thirty years to figure out a solution.

Global warming polemicist STARTS with a reference to how hot the TEMPERATURE was in so-and-so up north and this is PROOF of climate change. Point out a counter example and they abandon that very temperature argument and accuse the counter argument of using temperature and not 'understanding the difference between temperature and climate.'

It is this way with every single aspect of 'settled science' but only when that involves climate change. Whether we're talking temperature, the media, Al Gore, or any other aspect of it.......there's a constant in motion tactic to the argument that keeps shifting every paragraph. If they have to revise the data that shows it is NOT warming.....we're told there's a pause but it's still happening and we MUST act now!!!

It is - literally - like to trying to argue religion, complete with apocalyptic consequences unless we (wait for it) give money to purchase our salvation to someone (the preacher, the church, or in this case - the scientists who can't even tell us with their 'settled science' how quickly it will work.....because it's always way in the future so as to justify having no proof of reversal).

The most amusing part of the entire thing is that somehow the Earth has been here billions of years and has adjusted to every single thing we can name but now all of a sudden...if we don't do something that just happens to involve one select group of people telling the rest of us how to live our daily lives, we will be wiped out blah blah blah.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Yep...

Cajun's Law: Anytime anyone brings up a Global Warming argument. Use Al Gore's hypocrisy to help advance the awareness that Climate Change is nothing but a Liberals effort at raising taxes, scaring millenials, and giving AuDub a reason to stay on tidefans......
It's a non sequitur. "Al Gore is a hypocrite, therefore AGW is an evil liberal plot!"

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I concur with Selma. Has and does the climate change over hundreds of thousands of years? Absolutely. When the Romans were in present-day London, it was warm enough to grow grapes and produce wine in the London-area of the UK. Nowadays, it's too cold climatogically speaking for that to occur in that part of the world. I'm not going to deny that the world may be getting warmer, but I don't think we know enough, and have enough data to say that it is getting warmer due to the influence of human activity.

Do we need to do a better job of taking care of the environment? I would absolutely agree with that sentiment. Do we need to go apocalypse-now and hope I'm rich enough to go on Elon Musk's rocket to Mars? No, I'll disagree with that.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The most amusing part of the entire thing is that somehow the Earth has been here billions of years and has adjusted to every single thing we can name but now all of a sudden...if we don't do something that just happens to involve one select group of people telling the rest of us how to live our daily lives, we will be wiped out blah blah blah.
Yes the earth has adjusted but the inhabitants haven't always fared so well.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I concur with Selma. Has and does the climate change over hundreds of thousands of years? Absolutely. When the Romans were in present-day London, it was warm enough to grow grapes and produce wine in the London-area of the UK. Nowadays, it's too cold climatogically speaking for that to occur in that part of the world. I'm not going to deny that the world may be getting warmer, but I don't think we know enough, and have enough data to say that it is getting warmer due to the influence of human activity.

Do we need to do a better job of taking care of the environment? I would absolutely agree with that sentiment. Do we need to go apocalypse-now and hope I'm rich enough to go on Elon Musk's rocket to Mars? No, I'll disagree with that.
Perhaps it's supposed to get warmer. Perhaps finding a way to cool the planet may do more harm than good. Perhaps as the climate warms a new species will evolve that will ultimately cure Cancer.....no one knows.....

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Perhaps it's supposed to get warmer. Perhaps finding a way to cool the planet may do more harm than good. Perhaps as the climate warms a new species will evolve that will ultimately cure Cancer.....no one knows.....
Diverse life tends to flourish during earth's extended periods of equilibrium, where changes occur extremely gradually. Massive changes on short spans, like what we're experiencing now, are what causes extinction events. The ocean is a prime example of this. With the warmer temps and and increased acidification, complex lifeforms that have evolved during a period of relative stability of those metrics are having a difficult time adapting. That's not to say the sea will be devoid of life, but simpler lifeforms capable of adapting on shorter timeframes will thrive at the expense of things we are familiar with/may rely upon. It's well known that acidic oceans have a negative effect on things that rely on calcified shells. Cnidarians might thrive though.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
pla·ce·bo
pləˈsēbō/
noun

• a harmless pill, medicine, or procedure prescribed more for the psychological benefit to the patient than for any physiological effect.
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]"his Aunt Beatrice had been kept alive on sympathy and placebos for thirty years"[/COLOR]
    • a substance that has no therapeutic effect, used as a control in testing new drugs.
    • a measure designed merely to calm or please someone.
If you're flooding your home, the most logical course of action is to shut off your taps.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Diverse life tends to flourish during earth's extended periods of equilibrium, where changes occur extremely gradually. Massive changes on short spans, like what we're experiencing now, are what causes extinction events. The ocean is a prime example of this. With the warmer temps and and increased acidification, complex lifeforms that have evolved during a period of relative stability of those metrics are having a difficult time adapting. That's not to say the sea will be devoid of life, but simpler lifeforms capable of adapting on shorter timeframes will thrive at the expense of things we are familiar with/may rely upon. It's well known that acidic oceans have a negative effect on things that rely on calcified shells. Cnidarians might thrive though.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
If you're flooding your home, the most logical course of action is to shut off your taps.
Except that to shut of your own taps you have to pay the government a bazillion dollars. And it still won't do any good because China, India, et. al. are allowed to flood your house also.

Better solution is to move to higher ground and enjoy the coming waterfront property.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.