The World Just Hit This Disturbing Climate Change Metric

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Yes, but in this case, related to localized adiabatic and orographic processes rather than regional or global climate variability. It's important to not conflate the very real possibility of changes associated with AGW with those induced by natural physical processes that have always existed. For instance, in this case, Chinook winds and frictionally-induced albedo changes.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yes, but in this case, related to localized adiabatic and orographic processes rather than regional or global climate variability. It's important to not conflate the very real possibility of changes associated with AGW with those induced by natural physical processes that have always existed. For instance, in this case, Chinook winds and frictionally-induced albedo changes.
Gosh, thanks for raining on my parade. I just thought it was a cool investigative story.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Sorry - no. I didn't mean to address you at all. It is a cool story. I can just see a large sector of readers seeing this story as "melting ice in Antarctica - more evidence of global warming". That would be a mischaracterization, or at the very least, a huge leap.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Sorry - no. I didn't mean to address you at all. It is a cool story. I can just see a large sector of readers seeing this story as "melting ice in Antarctica - more evidence of global warming". That would be a mischaracterization, or at the very least, a huge leap.
I was just joshin'. I do like how scientists find a phenomenon (big circle in the ice, now frozen over again) and go about theorizing how to explain it (meteorite? Nope. Blue ice catches more sunlight, melting snow, water drains into a pool atop the ice shelf, until a drain is melted in the ice shelf, then the water drains away. Presto: big ice circle where the lake used to be. That to me is cool.)

Looking at the videos, I was struck that you do not want to be near that whirlpool (or, God forbid, in the water) as that water is draining.

Last edited:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I was just joshin'. I do like how scientists find a phenomenon (big circle in the ice, not frozen over again) and go about theorizing how to explain it (meteorite? Nope. Blue ice catches more sunlight, melting snow, water drains into a pool atop the ice shelf, until a drain is melted in the ice shelf, then the water drains away. Presto: big ice circle where the lake used to be. That to me is cool.)

Looking at the videos, I was struck that you do not want to be near that whirlpool (or, God forbid, in the water) as that water is draining.
Me too. It reminded me of when I was a 14yr old kid on vacation in Alaska. My family and I were camping near a glacier (I think it was Mendenhall?), and my brother and I hiked up to the glacier itself. Ignoring all the warning signs, we hiked up onto the shelf (wearing our sneakers), where you could look down into deep ice crevasses and see roaring rivers of water flowing under the shelf and eventually draining into the distantly downstream lake. We were really stupid back then.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I figure this is as good a place as any to put this:

http://reason.com/blog/2017/01/04/georgia-tech-climatologist-judith-curry

Climatologist and former chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology Judith Curry has announced her resignation effective immediately on her blog, Climate, Etc. I have long found Curry to be an honest researcher and a fair-minded disputant in the ongoing debates over man-made climate change. She excelled at pointing out the uncertainties and deficiencies of climate modeling. Given the thoroughly politicized nature of climate science her efforts to clarify what is known and unknown by climate science caused her to be pilloried as "anti-science" by other researchers who are convinced that man-made global warming is leading toward catastrophe. In her blog annoucement Curry explains her resignation:
A deciding factor was that I no longer know what to say to students and postdocs regarding how to navigate the CRAZINESS in the field of climate science. Research and other professional activities are professionally rewarded only if they are channeled in certain directions approved by a politicized academic establishment — funding, ease of getting your papers published, getting hired in prestigious positions, appointments to prestigious committees and boards, professional recognition, etc.
How young scientists are to navigate all this is beyond me, and it often becomes a battle of scientific integrity versus career suicide (I have worked through these issues with a number of skeptical young scientists).
Let me relate an interaction that I had with a postdoc about a month ago. She wanted to meet me, as an avid reader of my blog. She works in a field that is certainly relevant to climate science, but she doesn't identify as a climate scientist. She says she gets questioned all the time about global warming issues, and doesn't know what to say, since topics like attribution, etc. are not topics that she explores as a scientist. WOW, a scientist that knows the difference! I advised her to keep her head down and keep doing the research that she thinks interesting and important, and to stay out of the climate debate UNLESS she decides to dig in and pursue it intellectually. Personal opinions about the science and political opinions about policies that are sort of related to your research expertise are just that – personal and political opinions. Selling such opinions as contributing to a scientific consensus is very much worse than a joke.
It's a shame that the issue has become so politicized that good scientists and good people have to make such choices.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The Father of Green and the ultimate authority on Global Warming said if we did not stop it by 2009 it would be forever too late. Alas, we are all doomed.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
A lot of people are freaking out but I am loving it. I hate cold weather and as long as it is above freezing I am happy.
I'm the opposite. I'm tired of turning on the fans and a/c in January. I want more than one-two weeks of actual cold weather a year.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
In the DC area we get all four seasons, although in winter we tend to get ice (ugh!) as much as snow. Safe to say, my daughter enjoys it much more than I do. Haven't had much of anything yet this winter, but it's coming.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.