Defensive Line Recruiting

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
In the SEC, this IS the most critical position on the field except the QB and with it obviously being an area of need then I fully expect the staff will pull out all the stops to sign some top shelf DL talent.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Fret not...

Fret not, my crimson clad friends. I would suspect we will take the combo approach once again. We will probably add an adequate JUCO, one blue-chipper, and develop someone already on the roster to move to DL. It is always fun to see how it all turns out and that we worried for nothing. As others have already stated, early PT is back on the board and that is a nice and shiny lure.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I am going to try to translate for Chop. "Are there any linebackers that we are looking at or have committed that could potentially play DE?" Let me know if this is it Chop.
to answer that question, yes . Anfernee Jennings and Terrell Hall are prime candidates. their frame can add more weight to play with hands in the dirt. Mehki Brown is another possibility, he is currently at 264 lbs . Jamar King came in very raw since he was not in football shape after his JUCO graduation. give him time to get acclimated and he should be good . Quinnen Williams will most likely red shirt giving us more options for next season.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
to answer that question, yes . Anfernee Jennings and Terrell Hall are prime candidates. their frame can add more weight to play with hands in the dirt. Mehki Brown is another possibility, he is currently at 264 lbs . Jamar King came in very raw since he was not in football shape after his JUCO graduation. give him time to get acclimated and he should be good . Quinnen Williams will most likely red shirt giving us more options for next season.
Jennings will switch to dline in the spring and be like allen tons of talent. Soloman is a top priority

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Marvin Wilson is at it again saying if Strong is fired he won't go to Texas. Glad he is saying this but he said we were out of it when Bo Davis was fired and has since changed that stance. Would love to get this kid but wonder about his thought processes sometimes.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/5fda...eeca0338c9/marvin-wilson-would-eliminate.html
J, wouldn`t you say he`s an extreme long shot for us? Hope some of the other D linemen are lining up more favorably.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
J, wouldn`t you say he`s an extreme long shot for us? Hope some of the other D linemen are lining up more favorably.
I would not say extreme longshot. With the Texas and LSWho coaching issues we are in it. We plucked A'Shawn out of Texas late in the recruiting process and we may do it again. I agree though there are other DL lining up more favorably but not as talented in most cases.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We have received several recent CB's for Phidarian Mathis, a 4* out of LA. Don't know if he is a take right now but he is a guy to keep our eye on.

http://247sports.com/Player/Phidarian-Mathis-86415
I just watched his junior highlight video on his profile and this guy is a high motor guy. I'm not sure I have seen a 6' 4" 290 lb DL be on the kick-off coverage team, be the first one downfield and make the tackle. He also pursues relentlessly. I like this kid a lot.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
unfortunately, we already burned king's year by playing him in one game. With him being as raw and out of shape as he was, it would have been really nice to have him redshirt if he has the time available.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
So looks like we are in play or have been in play for the following guys
Aubrey Solomon
Javon Kinlaw
Isaiah Buggs
Akial Byers (commit)
Labryan Ray
Ryan Johnson
Phidarian Mathis
Elijah Conliffe
Chauncey Rivers
Jarez Parks
In the end who do you guys ultimately think we end up with?

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Aubrey Solomon
Javon Kinlaw
Isaiah Buggs
Akial Byers (commit)
Labryan Ray
Ryan Johnson
Phidarian Mathis
Elijah Conliffe
Chauncey Rivers
Jarez Parks
Don't know who we will get, but Buggs looks good on film. If I could pick just one though it would be Solomon. Think he will be a force. If Georgia gets him and Beal they will have two very good ones at end.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Don't know who we will get, but Buggs looks good on film. If I could pick just one though it would be Solomon. Think he will be a force. If Georgia gets him and Beal they will have two very good ones at end.
I`ve assumed he`s a lead pipe cinch to Georgia, but what do I really know?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Aubrey Solomon
Javon Kinlaw
Isaiah Buggs
Akial Byers (commit)
Labryan Ray
Ryan Johnson
Phidarian Mathis
Elijah Conliffe
Chauncey Rivers
Jarez Parks

Wouldn't be surprised if Byers was not actually a part of the class (grades). I think Ray will be a part of the class. We've made some ground up on Parks, and he could be a DE and not a LB. Have heard Mathis' name mentioned more lately, could be something there. Conliffe is being told to hold off. Buggs is the big get, if we can get it.

News dried up on Kinlaw. Solomon is UGA orMich IMO.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
Line Recruiting for 2017

Looking through who all we have recruited for 2017 - and I don't see much line help coming.

3 OT
1 Center - 3 Star
1 DT

We have made our success around our lines - and this looks weak to me.
And we already have 25 commits for 2017.

Concerned.......

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Re: Line Recruiting for 2017

Looking through who all we have recruited for 2017 - and I don't see much line help coming.

3 OT
1 Center - 3 Star
1 DT

We have made our success around our lines - and this looks weak to me.
And we already have 25 commits for 2017.

Concerned.......
Simply not accurate...

We have the #1 OL class by a wide margin. Not all of them will be tackles, though we need tackles.

We just added the best JUCO DE/DT to the class officially today and will likely add 2-3 more there.

Our class will have 30, based on EE's that will backcount, a greyshirt, and 1-2 current commits no longer being a part of this class

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
He has been loving him some Alabama since his visit. Don't think Michigan is in the picture as much now. Down between Bama and UGA. Mom loved her trip to Tuscaloosa.
good to hear...havent heard anything on him since the visit which usually means nothing changed....but maybe they are keeping it on the low

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.