Defensive Line Recruiting

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Re: Line Recruiting for 2017

Looking through who all we have recruited for 2017 - and I don't see much line help coming.

3 OT
1 Center - 3 Star
1 DT

We have made our success around our lines - and this looks weak to me.
And we already have 25 commits for 2017.

Concerned.......
Simply not accurate...

We have the #1 OL class by a wide margin. Not all of them will be tackles, though we need tackles.

We just added the best JUCO DE/DT to the class officially today and will likely add 2-3 more there.

Our class will have 30, based on EE's that will backcount, a greyshirt, and 1-2 current commits no longer being a part of this class
Yep, there's no way to spin it - this OL class is stacked. Infused with last year's returning starters and the depth we carry over, the OL should be VERY strong once again.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We have received several recent CB's for Phidarian Mathis, a 4* out of LA. Don't know if he is a take right now but he is a guy to keep our eye on.

http://247sports.com/Player/Phidarian-Mathis-86415
It is down to us and the corndogs for Phidarian. He has OV to both schools in January and will make a decision afterward. I think if he looks at our depth chart and who will be his head coach he will decide on Bama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Of course, recruiting is very fluid and things can change within the next month. BUT... Solomon told 247 today at Army game check-in that Alabama has a huge lead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Of course, recruiting is very fluid and things can change within the next month. BUT... Solomon told 247 today at Army game check-in that Alabama has a huge lead.

Great news!! Now, I would assume the best thing to do is to recruit him like we`re behind and know it!

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
What the possibility of landing Mathis and Solomon? I'm sure that's part of the staffs goal, or is it one or the other?

Same question with ray and parks? I feel ray is a must, due to how much we need the position and him being the top in state guy.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
What the possibility of landing Mathis and Solomon? I'm sure that's part of the staffs goal, or is it one or the other?

Same question with ray and parks? I feel ray is a must, due to how much we need the position and him being the top in state guy.
From my knowledge we are recruiting Ray, Solomon and Parks at totally different positions so they would all be takes. Not sure about Mathis.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Parks will be a Jack LB.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I would not say extreme longshot. With the Texas and LSWho coaching issues we are in it. We plucked A'Shawn out of Texas late in the recruiting process and we may do it again. I agree though there are other DL lining up more favorably but not as talented in most cases.
Yea, I expect some late movement along these same lines this year and Marvin Wilson would definitely shore up the position nicely.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Re: Line Recruiting for 2017

Simply not accurate...

We have the #1 OL class by a wide margin. Not all of them will be tackles, though we need tackles.

We just added the best JUCO DE/DT to the class officially today and will likely add 2-3 more there.

Our class will have 30, based on EE's that will backcount, a greyshirt, and 1-2 current commits no longer being a part of this class
Nice post and really wondering which DT prospects we have in our cross hairs. We need to add numbers there and sometimes we get a few late surprises.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
What are the chances one or more of the OL commits end up on the DL?

Also, who was the DL from Texas (last year? . . year before?) who did not qualify and went JuCo? Can he join us this season? Can't recall his name . . .

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
What are the chances one or more of the OL commits end up on the DL?

Also, who was the DL from Texas (last year? . . year before?) who did not qualify and went JuCo? Can he join us this season? Can't recall his name . . .
Hulk....Kendall Jones. Last I heard he did not play football this year, so he's a no-go.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
you know what? I just realize something. I wonder if we'll take graduate transfer at the DL this year?
For depth, maybe. But difference-making defensive lineman who have graduated typically go to the league rather than transfer. And if you aren't going to be drafted, you are probably a backup on our team.

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
For depth, maybe. But difference-making defensive lineman who have graduated typically go to the league rather than transfer. And if you aren't going to be drafted, you are probably a backup on our team.
Glad we got Jarran Reed. Elliot Baker looks like he might be a difference maker. Others too. What about Mt. Cody, and the monster who followed him? Others...well maybe they weren't typical..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He'd have one more year at juco either way, I believe his not playing this year was in order to maintain a year of eligibility. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Shouldn't we possibly see him in the 2018 class?
Looked him on 247 and don't see him listed at a JUCO. Can't remember where he ended up.

Hope for his sake he's getting an education somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Glad we got Jarran Reed. Elliot Baker looks like he might be a difference maker. Others too. What about Mt. Cody, and the monster who followed him? Others...well maybe they weren't typical..
Those guys are JUCO transfer. 81 was asking about grad transfers. Typically JUCO guys are not NFL eligible yet.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I think it showed in the NC game how shallow our DL is this year. That is the only reason I don't think this year's defense is as good as last year's defense. Our DL and LBs were gassed in the 2nd qtr. 99 plays will gas any team. We barely had enough depth last year.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.