Defensive Line Recruiting

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Well, we have lost a lot of stellar recruiters over the past year... :cool2:
I dig - my point is that we have NEVER recruited this well, Never. Coach has made it happen for us and I am sure he will continue to emphasize recruiting. That is why we are winning.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Well, coach has not steered us wrong yet. And he has the best recruiting staff ever put together at Alabama so I am sure the staff has answers going forward.
Absolutely CB, and I`d never allude to otherwise. I was just acknowledging two ( IMHO ) facts: 1. The D and O lines are so very critical to success and 2. The number of truly elite D linemen, that have the ability and athleticism to play both the run and the pass equally well, can probably be counted on one hand in most years and maybe 1 1/2 hands in an exceptional year!

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Byers headed to JC. Didn't qualify. This really hurts us on DL for the class and we need to finish really, really strong.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Byers headed to JC. Didn't qualify. This really hurts us on DL for the class and we need to finish really, really strong.
The staff has seen that one coming for a while, not sure it's that earth shattering. Nor do I think he would have been an immediate contributor, hopefully when he's done with juco we'll see him back again.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I imagine we also go after a grad transfer on the DL.

Buggs should be able to immediately contribute. But we still need at least two of the three in Ray, Mathis, or Solomon.

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
I'm guessing we still need to land more DL recruits
Do the ones announcing today fill that if they go bama or do we still need to get more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I'm guessing we still need to land more DL recruits
Do the ones announcing today fill that if they go bama or do we still need to get more

Just my opinion, but if we get either Ray or Soloman we're ok for this class as that's three big body guys, plus some guys that could grow into DE after starting at OLB. Getting both would mean we are solid.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Awesome pickup today of Ray, Mathis and Buggs already on campus. So, it looks like the rotation will include those guys along with D. Hand, J. Dwight, J. Frazier, J. King, OJ Smith, Q. Williams, D. Payne and R. Davis. I'm curious to see who steps up over the Summer.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Awesome pickup today of Ray, Mathis and Buggs already on campus. So, it looks like the rotation will include those guys along with D. Hand, J. Dwight, J. Frazier, J. King, OJ Smith, Q. Williams, D. Payne and R. Davis. I'm curious to see who steps up over the Summer.
Remember Q. Williams made lot of noise throughout the season by players. I expect King, Hand, Frazier, Payne and a possibility of seeing two freshmen rotating in and out time to time.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Remember Q. Williams made lot of noise throughout the season by players. I expect King, Hand, Frazier, Payne and a possibility of seeing two freshmen rotating in and out time to time.
King? Davis played more than he did, and Raekwon wasn't eligible for a month.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
King? Davis played more than he did, and Raekwon wasn't eligible for a month.

Yep. I'm thinking King was a miss or a depth guy only. I think Williams will be a player to provide good depth. Josh Frazier came on real strong at the end of the year and with the freshman coming in we are going to be really good on the DL once again.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Well Dwight and Smith have been at Bama I believe four years and neither of them have yet to play a down when it counts.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Well Dwight and Smith have been at Bama I believe four years and neither of them have yet to play a down when it counts.
agreed - although I thought Dwight was under the same suspension at T Brown in 2016 and that might have limited his opportunity. Maybe he'll get into the rotation this year. Smith played in one game and appeared to have been passed by a lot of the younger guys.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I just threw King in, because I still have a small hope for him. I'm hoping the light came on for him by now.
We have a bunch of good character kids on the roster and I just get the feeling that our coaches will instill a renewed sense of urgency of who needs to step up to fill the mighty big shoes that just walked into the League.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.