Defensive Line Recruiting

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Last year I really felt like we needed to land more DL recruits. Not only did we finish short in my opinion but we lost one to academics on top of that. This 2016 class looks typically awesome with the exception once again on the DL. We have one guy committed, a three star out of Fayetteville Arkansas. Seems like Fat boy isn't going to want to see us take one from his back yard so that guy will probably get a lot of pressure to flip to the Hogs.

Next year we will have essentially two players left with experience. (Hand and Payne). Hopefully Raekwon Davis will improve to give us three relatively good starters. but that's not a given. Jamar King hasn't made an impact. Neither has Johnny Dwight. Josh Frazier is a decent inside guy but not a DE. I see immediate playing time for any DE that can press the box. Does anyone have any insight into this? Has the firing of Bo Davis had a negative impact there? The new coach appears to be solid, but can he recruit?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
First, this is a fairly weak DL class with the exception of Marvin Wilson.

Most importantly, here are some DL propsects Alabama might be able to land:

Isaiah Buggs (JUCO)
LaBryan Ray (Bama seen as the favorite)
Ryan Johnson (Bama-Auburn battle and Alabama made a big move this weekend)
Elijah Concliffe (named Bama his leader a few months back)
Tyler Shelvin (LSU commit, but that can easily change with the Miles firing)
Aubrey Solomon (former Michigan commit that appears to be UGA bound, but Bama has a shot)
Phidarian Mathis (another Louisiana kid that might be affected by the Miles firing)

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
376 pound tackle, would we take him? Even if he trimmed down to 340, he's still almost as big as Cody was way back when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Proven playing time (even for Freshmen if good enough ) in the rotation should have kids lined up. Can`t quite figure it out why this appears to be so difficult for us. If we could get 3 of those guys listed above, it would be great.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
DL is definitely the position of need in this class. I'm thinking we finish solidly there given our need for the position, having a good number of players drafted there in last 4-6 years, our academic success, and our on field success.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We need to keep an eye on Marvin Wilson. Many had thought it was between Texas and LSWho and with the coaching uncertainty at both places we may sneak in the backdoor.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I am going to try to translate for Chop. "Are there any linebackers that we are looking at or have committed that could potentially play DE?" Let me know if this is it Chop.
Benton and Cowan are guys that could put their hands down, but they aren't the Allen types that we need. Byers is a good one, but we need at least two more of that type IMO. Bad thing is, it is a weak class for that. Need Ray and Wilson, badly.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I am going to try to translate for Chop. "Are there any linebackers that we are looking at or have committed that could potentially play DE?" Let me know if this is it Chop.
thats what i meant but my iphone had a stroke.

im not even gonna correct that post, as a monument to autocorrect.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Our coaches can sell quick playing time for a change . . . . Let's see if they can make it work. Grad transfers, JUCOs . . . . Get ready for a great opportunity.

Somehow, some way, I suspect we will have more than adequate players on the d-line in 2017.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I saw where Dylan Moses and Marvin Wilson have become friends at various camps. He is in Wilson's ear to commit to us! Maybe this will help!

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Benton and Cowan are guys that could put their hands down, but they aren't the Allen types that we need. Byers is a good one, but we need at least two more of that type IMO. Bad thing is, it is a weak class for that. Need Ray and Wilson, badly.
Are there any JUCOs that we could plug and play?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.